Fwd: Smith Field Master Plan Meeting #2 Recap

Bostonm...@aol.com

Oct 5, 2015, 12:44:29 PM10/5/15
to cathy.bak...@boston.gov, allstonbr...@googlegroups.com, BC_Neighb...@googlegroups.com, cleveland-cir...@googlegroups.com, ronald....@stantec.com
Hi Cathy - thanks for sending this along.  It was a good meeting!  On alternative 4, I have a couple of comments:

1.  The four field approach is unique and creative.  However, what is it like if there are multiple games going on? Is there any precedent in Boston Parks for this configuration? I can see confusion, noise, but maybe that turns into excitement?

2.  The great lawn idea has my full attention and I would like to see music/amphitheater as a use.  Sculpture, a water feature, and historical elements highlighting AB history would be connective.  Maybe a peace garden, there are none in Massachusetts.  There needs to be a stronger connection between the entrance to the park and the new Continuum plaza and restaurant.  If they haven't already, Samuel's needs to see this.

3.  The percentage of land devoted to field athletics vs .park for people is out of balance.  My sense is that it is running 90/10 in alternative 4.  I could hope that at a minimum one of the hockey rinks could be eliminated and the space given to passive use.  Also, moving the basketball courts off Western Ave and putting a passive use on the Western Ave. edge will be more inviting and beautiful.

4.  The area north of the ball fields has potential as a picnic area for baseball fans and families. and it is the gateway to the River.  Many people from that side of the community will traverse Smith (especially when its done) to the River.  We need to make a stronger case for the cross walk of SFR.  I will push from the Harvard Allston Task Force side, but Parks and Rec could voice up, too.

And finally, connections to the Grove, Gateway Center, the Portal, Continuum, and walks proposed by Harvard have to be integrated.  Use of bollards along curb lines can slow things down.  Barry's Corner is soon to be a pedestrian mecca and they should have priority on feeling safe and comfortable.  I know these are BTD issues but Stantec and yourself have a good sense of what the Corner needs and a suggestion form Parks and Rec, along with the community, could be helpful.

Thanks for your good work on this!  Regards,  Tim McHale