User generated 3D model pipeline has been retired October 1st, 2013

Google Craig

Oct 15, 2013, 3:47:23 PM10/15/13

Hi folks,

With the goal to have every building in the world accurately displayed in 3D, we’ve explored different methods for modeling large areas of our planet in 3D, including technologies like SketchUp, Building Maker and lately 3D Imagery. We’ve decided that in order to pursue the most consistent user experience, we'll be focusing our resources on the technology that will scale to the entire world and will be discontinuing support of the user generated 3D program.

We’d like to thank all of you who helped form the landscape of Google Earth and helped cities around the globe grow out of the 2D realm, and into the imaginations of virtual 3D explorers everywhere.

Models can still be uploaded to the Trimble 3D Warehouse, where they can continue to be shared with the modeling community, but they will no longer be published to Google Earth starting October 1st, 2013. Existing models will remain visible in Google Earth, until a time when they're replaced by new models generated for that region. Google Takeout lets you download an archive containing all of your models.

On a personal note: I’ve had the good fortune of being involved in the 3D modeling effort for Google Earth from the beginning, and I've watched many of you create collections of amazingly detailed architectural wonders from every corner of the Earth. I'm very thankful to have been along for that ride and to have gotten to know many of you over the years.

With respect and appreciation,

   - CraigD and the 3D Modeling Team

Mado

Aug 6, 2013, 2:29:32 PM8/6/13
RIP !
(from my husband ... Bdhy)

tomcioZG

Aug 6, 2013, 3:31:26 PM8/6/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
For me, this decision is a bit weird. New technology does not cover the whole world at once, only the largest cities and only then smaller. Many beautiful places such as castles, palaces and other wonders of nature are often located outside of large cities and even in the middle of nowhere. It seems to me that you would implement new technologies gradually. It's just my opinion. I respect decision and I wish good luck to you Craig and the whole 3D Modeling Team.

P.S. I'm glad that I was able to visit Boulder in 2009. It was for me an unforgettable experience.

Best,

Tomasz

przygod

Aug 6, 2013, 4:29:15 PM8/6/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for sharing this sad news Craig.

It was a great experience to create and put my own piece in Google Earth. I hope there will be some new interesting UGC project coming.

Krzysztof Przygoda :: przygod

pmolsen

Aug 6, 2013, 5:33:42 PM8/6/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
What will be the status of kml files in the 3D Warehouse please? Will it still be possible to load and display them in Google Earth?

When is the last upload of models please? In other words has the process already stopped, or if I upload a model today for example will it be considered?

Google Craig

Aug 6, 2013, 5:42:51 PM8/6/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

3D models will be reviewed/accepted and published until October 1st, 2013. The last publish to Google Earth should occur on or shortly after the October 1st deadline.

You will be able to download and display geo-located 3D model kmls from the 3D Warehouse for the foreseeable future, but they will not be published to the 3D Buildings layer after October 1st, 2013.

I hope that answers your questions.

Best,

    - Craig

peterg/gipuzkoa3d

Aug 6, 2013, 6:23:23 PM8/6/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hello Craig

But .. Current models Included on layer 0 will remain visible?

best
Peterg

Google Craig

Aug 6, 2013, 6:27:23 PM8/6/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peterg,

the buildings that are visible on the 3D Buildings layer on October 31st, 2013, will remain visible until they are either deleted from the 3D Warehouse or are replaced with 3D Imagery.

Best,

    - Craig

Paul van Dinther

Aug 6, 2013, 6:40:30 PM8/6/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter, how about loading models into Google Earth using the API. Will that still be supported?

Google Craig

Aug 6, 2013, 6:48:19 PM8/6/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
The API will support the current 3D Buildings layer. Of course you can add any kmz that you'd like, for your custom layers.

Best,

    - Craig

Richard Pedicini

Aug 6, 2013, 9:21:25 PM8/6/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Google has never kept it a secret that it retires programs and projects as the market and the world change.

For a while it's been clear that we've been building sand castles before a rising tide, though I had not expected it to rise so high and so soon, that there would be a couple of years left at least.

That's the rational response.

The emotional one though, is that Craig's note is like hearing, "We're going to shoot your puppy".

Cheers,
Richard

Richard Pedicini

Aug 6, 2013, 9:26:56 PM8/6/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
No, that's not it. Now it comes to me. There's a scene in "Diamonds are Forever" (the book not the movie) where ABC announces to one of the links in his diamond smuggling operation, "I'm shutting down the pipeline". The he shoots him.

Google Craig, James Bond villain.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Екатерина Кравченко

Aug 7, 2013, 3:14:39 AM8/7/13
Does this mean that the error on the page "My models" will not be fixed?
Page address http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/search?uq=1457940670376486217306074, I click "Allow others to see my profile", enter a nickneme and click "Save". The nickname is not saved. I can't send  the model using SketchUp without the  nickname.

tomcioZG

Aug 7, 2013, 3:36:46 AM8/7/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Екатерина. I had a similar problem when I setting up a new account on 3D Warehouse to my friend. I couldn't save the user name. I remember that I tried to save the user name several times and finally succeeded.

Francisco José Borge Cordovilla

Aug 7, 2013, 5:31:17 AM8/7/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hola Craig, otra duda
Los modelos publicados en la galería 3D de Trimble, ¿van a poder seguir cargándose a Google Earth desde dicha galería mediante la opción "ver en Google Earth" (aunque se supriman de la capa general)?. Desde luego ello no estorbaría a los fines de Google, sería sólo para verlos puntualmente, aunuq ela capa siguiera otro sistema de generación de sólidos 3D...,
¿ o esa posibilidad va a ser suprimmida también?
UN honor haber pertenecido al proyecto, muchas gracias y un fuerte abrazo.

SnowTiger

Aug 7, 2013, 7:16:22 AM8/7/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Huge .... HUGE mistake.
I'm betting this will be Google Earth's downfall.

Regardless, it's definitely the downfall for my current business and may well be the downfall for SU's popularity.

I am truly disappointed with Google's decision.
Message has been deleted

Mado

Aug 7, 2013, 9:44:33 AM8/7/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

On May 15, a French magazine has predicted the end of Google Earth with the arrival of the new Google Maps .... after Building maker, the stop of 3DWarehouse seems to confirm!

http://www.lesnumeriques.com/google-i-o-point-sur-services-produits-google-n29520.html#maps

;)

jago716

Aug 7, 2013, 10:47:00 AM8/7/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
This is sad.  Very sad.

2013 has NOT been an ideal year for the 3D modelling community.  First we lose Building Maker (though it still appears to be in use by some), then Google Reader and Google Latitude, and now the 3D pipeline.
I take it there won't be any "Model Your Town" competitions in the future?
There are still quite a lot (though only so many) of geo-located works-in-progess in my personal 3D-model bucket list.  Is it truly worth it to go on at this point?  Does this render any 3D-layer guideline threads & discussions in this forum moot?

 - jago716

Gerardo Paz

Aug 7, 2013, 11:56:34 AM8/7/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Craig...

An ... emotive day for me... I.m with GE since the prehistory.. jaja... Anyway, life changes all the time.. But I will not cry or die.... just an idea:

Google could leave a 3D USERS layer besides the 3D Layer, where people could turn it to active to see the "old" user generated 3d models.

Don´t miss thousands of hours of hard modeling and texturizing work that many people around the world gave Google as a gift. Google build a great product thanks - in some way - to the interest and colaboration we, first users, did. I spent hundred of hours contributing to Google Earth. I ask just only one thing: a 3D Users (or 3D Old Models) layer. Nothing more than that.

Google is not evil..

matthiasbasler

Aug 7, 2013, 1:10:58 PM8/7/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Am Mittwoch, 7. August 2013 15:44:33 UTC+2 schrieb Mado:
On May 15, a French magazine has predicted the end of Google Earth with the arrival of the new Google Maps

I fear the same.
Google further developing a desktop application? For "old school" operating systems like Windows or Linux? With data cached on the local machine? To some managers it may sound like Sony still building Gramophone record players.
Not to me, though.

I wonder if the Google Maps has many of the capabilities of the desktop applications, such as importing KMZ/KML files, creating collections of locations, switching all different types of layers on or off, checking the historical imagery (often very helpful for me) and so on.

But I have become pessimistic lately, concerning Google's strategy. I wouldn't be surprised if they declared GE discontinued without having a replacement for these features.

The only aspect that gives me some hope GE desktop has a chance to survive is, that they have a commercial version, and maybe this is providing enough money to continue development.

Matthias Basler

matthiasbasler

Aug 7, 2013, 1:32:33 PM8/7/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Am Mittwoch, 7. August 2013 17:56:34 UTC+2 schrieb Gerardo64:
I ask just only one thing: a 3D Users (or 3D Old Models) layer. Nothing more than that.

You are aware that a layer for user-generated models, which is not updated any more by Google is outdated within 10 years and thus slowly becomes worthless? You'd have to a have a completely user-organized review pipeline for this layer and I very much doubt Google will play along with such idea.

Rest in peace, shiny new user-generated 3D world. It was a pleasure to look at you.

Matthias Basler

Pavel Averyanov

Aug 7, 2013, 3:00:26 PM8/7/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
This is really frustrating news for me and for all ppl, who made models in SU. I think, google should rethink this desition.

KEITH LURIE

Aug 7, 2013, 3:08:27 PM8/7/13
to 3D Modeling for Google Earth & Maps on behalf of matthiasbasler

So, no new buildings.  Coming from a small town without 3d imagery, I have been the only person submitting 3d buildings.  The day that I decided to make business out of geo modelling, Craig announced that the new auto generated mesh mush was to replace all the fantastic work people have done for free. Needless to say, I gave up on the business plan, but continued to model some local buildings, knowing that , at least, until auto mesh mush covers the whole world, we can still have buildings.  Now Google says no, no more new buildings. (I hope this means that they are about to announce that they have now ‘perfected’ the slimy mesh models, and covered the whole world, with high resolution 3d modelling, but I doubt it will be in the next 10 years)

Matthias, you have the answer, ‘user-organized’.  But it should not include Google.  Perhaps someone else can provide the platform.  It would be better than Google could ever do it, because they just provided restriction.  We need a few layers, so you can include any geo located model, but it will need to be verified by other modellers to go up a layer.  The criteria becoming more stringent on higher layers.  One layer for only photo textured real buildings, a layer for any texture, the ability to ‘scroll’ through different models of the same building, and vote, a layer for fantasy buildings, a layer for really bad models, I could go on.

A user-controlled system would be free of rules that we never understood (separate buildings on the same property for example.)  Perhaps we could have terrain that can be corrected, or add newer, fresher imagery.

In fact, Google have used the geo modellers as free reviewers anyway.

How about Wiki-world?

- via the 3D Warehouse site: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/forum
- via Google Groups: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/3dwh

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "3D Modeling for Google Earth & Maps" group.

No virus found in this message.

No virus found in this message.

Thorpe

Aug 7, 2013, 3:29:22 PM8/7/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Disappointing, but not very surprising. This now puts the future of Google Earth in doubt.

I've only fairly recently started using SU and GE in earnest for my job, part of which entails extensive crowd & safety planning for large conferences. The most valuable aspects of SU & GE are the ease of use of both and the simple way of sharing well made and correct scale models for the various plans we have in effect. The availability of GE for anyone to use makes sharing these models amongst the many necessary sets of eyes a snap and feasible on a small budget scale.

So, I must ask, how much longer can we expect GE to stick around and will its replacement support importing of kmx/kml files?

Gage Mitchusson

Aug 7, 2013, 3:42:41 PM8/7/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
I Think That's Great! Can You All At Google Please Do Bentonville, Arkansas And The Surrounding Area As It Is The Home Of Walmart, JB Hunt, And Tyson?

Jason Mill

Aug 7, 2013, 4:19:27 PM8/7/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Very Dissapointed .. with 80% of our city wiped out in the 2011 Earthquakes and subsequent demolition frenzy, Google Earth has become the go to for many recovery agencies. These utilise the user created models as they are the only way to keep up with our accelerated change. We don't have 3D imagery yet but when we do it will be of demolished building sites and buildings in several states of construction. If the 3D imagery updates are similar to aerial imagery updates or streetview updates then our city model will be out of date within weeks. I dare say this will be an accelerated version of the situation in most cities.

Shame .. I've been a huge advocate for GE for 12yrs now .. but soon it will be no more than eye candy.

best to all my fellow moders!
J.

Ricardo Nunes

Aug 7, 2013, 6:46:51 PM8/7/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Sad and unfortunate because there was a good market around "geomodeling" that never got the chance to fully develop.
But expected since good models started to be replaced by ugly geometry full of artifacts.
And even more when building maker became an internal tool, probably to aid in correcting the auto models.

Anyway, perhaps we will see some sort of "Business models" program in the future, much like what exists today for interior panoramas.

Jack Clark

Aug 7, 2013, 7:38:46 PM8/7/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
This is truly sad to hear.  I have continued to create geo models despite the knowledge that they may eventually be replaced, but now I see that I have only a few weeks to work on my project to model my hometown downtown area.  So sad.

Tiago Volanick

Aug 7, 2013, 8:05:42 PM8/7/13
Uma triste notícia, depois de 4 anos de modelagem tudo irá acabar...., péssima notícia.

Vinícius Camargos

Aug 7, 2013, 9:27:10 PM8/7/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
This is bad news for small towns in USA or Europe, and horrible news for towns in Brazil, for example. It will take ages for Google to map, for example, my town in 3D. I think Google should have stop 3d modelling for cities with the new 3D models and etc, and not for everything all at once.

Billy Sastard

Aug 7, 2013, 11:02:21 PM8/7/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Why such short notice? Especially when the review process can take weeks or months to get a model published.
This is very bad news

alp28

Aug 7, 2013, 11:06:39 PM8/7/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com

On Tuesday, August 6, 2013 12:00:03 PM UTC-5, Google Craig wrote:

[...]

Very sad, depressing day. Had greatly enjoyed geo-modelling as hobby since 2008. I guess with building maker cancellation, it was apparent what was going on. Will still create models with Sketchup, just not for google earth.

Billy Sastard

Aug 7, 2013, 11:11:52 PM8/7/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Also, how does the new technology model structures that are partially or fully obscured by trees?

Daniel Brandewie

Aug 7, 2013, 11:12:20 PM8/7/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
As a professional urban planner, I find it disappointing that Google doesn't realize the value of this technology in its mission to create a more sustainable planet.  I thought, in some respects, we were just at our infancy in exploring how Google Earth and 3D modeling could be applied to solve many urban design and city planning problems.  I have used Google Earth and 3d warehouse models for historic preservation purposes, designing streets for bicycle and pedestrian improvements, tree planting applications and affordable housing. Why any company would totally disregard the millions of hours put into this effort, that can be used for a positive purpose is simply beyond me. . Well, I do know why...they couldn't make enough money off it.

Scottio Wilson

Aug 8, 2013, 12:06:13 AM8/8/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Craig/Google mentions a "consistent user experience" Many of us have had our whack @ the ball. We were given the freedom to Model the World and could not accomplish it within the time or speed technology marches at. This is sad but I realize Google is a business and they are in direct competition with Apple's C3 maps in IOS7. GE was based on the GMaps API as it is. Btwn panoramic streetview and Google maps, there is plenty of business opportunity to serve our client base. Google has made user generated 3d fun and promoted the KML/KMZ file format into a standard to be reckoned with. My thanks to Google but my applause goes to all of us who took the time to model what we loved and had the witheral to follow it through to completion. Google will move forward and so will we. My hope is Google leaves a mechanism open, or creates a layer, so we can choose to display our custom models for client generated preview of future or historical buildings/landscapes. So far that is not possible with their mesh cityscapes. No resentment. I'm gonna remember the glory days @ the worldwide 3d modelers community on G+

Rice Black

Aug 9, 2013, 3:08:25 AM8/9/13

Hello Craig
I come from Taiwan , I think my living Taiwan was not build mature .
I want to know after that day how can we see more 3D building on Google earth ?
And , or that was having some teams in some places build the 3D building in where they living place or country?
Thanks for watching my poor English grammar.

嗨 Craig
我來自台灣,我想我生活的台灣建模還尚未成熟。
我想知道在那天之後我們要怎麼看到更多的3D建築在Google地球上?
然後,或者是有一些團隊在那些地方建立在他們的家鄉的建築?
謝謝你們看完我悲劇的英文文法。

Google Craig於 2013年8月7日星期三UTC+8上午1時00分03秒寫道:

Scottio Wilson

Aug 8, 2013, 1:06:18 AM8/8/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Well I guess the "consistent experience" means my existing models, which were meticulously placed and accepted and displayed properly in the GE 3d layer, now appear 2D and broken in Google Earth as of right now. So the promise of buildings staying in GE means they will look like crap as of today. Connecticut hasn't ever been meshed yet.

Zix

Aug 8, 2013, 2:17:40 AM8/8/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
You must be kidding. This is a big disappointment. 3D modeling is a major challenge for many people. There has been a lot of effort. Google Earth looked awesome with all its features, including hand-made 3D models. It will take a lot of time that current technology AutoGenerated 3D models is well done as well as hand-made models. Auto-generated 3D models look awful, like a bad ice cream.
I am disappointed.
sladoled.jpg
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Mado

Aug 8, 2013, 4:10:50 AM8/8/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Quel silence assourdissant de la part de CraigD !

Le jeudi 8 août 2013 09:23:44 UTC+2, Jonathan Green a écrit :
I've suspected this would happen for some time, but I think it's a mistake. A great many models created in SU are infinitely better than the auto-generated mesh. It would have been better to find a way to integrate both together, even if it meant ditching some of the less accurate models in the process. I am suspicious of the money aspect and whether this wasn't financially sustainable, but Google makes huge profits and leads many innovations. I think Google should continue to develop some of it's best features - even if that means selling it for a small price. Let's face it, GE is an incredible piece of software that has been provided for free for a long time.
Also, I wonder if WebGL now being accepted as an ISO standard, and Microsoft making an apparent u-turn to recognize it, is leading to GE going onto a web-based format? We shall see...

Marco Aurélio Om

Aug 8, 2013, 5:52:30 AM8/8/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
A credibilidade da Google chega ao zero.

Scottio Wilson

Aug 8, 2013, 6:13:53 AM8/8/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
If Google has decided they are not going to upconvert our last submissions outside of Google mesh cities in GE 7.1.1888, that would be the unkindest cut of all. Guess i'm done modeling until October 1 and there goes my hope to get any more buildings in Newtown CT finished.
Message has been deleted

Mado

Aug 8, 2013, 7:18:03 AM8/8/13
After the announcement of the stop of the 3Dwarehouse, in sign of disagreement I suggest that you remove all your models of the 3DWarehouse.
I removed all my models and there are only two models of my husband (bdhy ... he can not remove after his access ban).

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/search?viewer=1150040972567467118914552&scoring=m
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/search?uq=0771646331298948933562525&scoring=m
:(
Message has been deleted

peterg/gipuzkoa3d

Aug 8, 2013, 9:17:42 AM8/8/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hola Mado

A mi tambien se me ha pasado alguna vez borrar los modelos, para responder a un desacuerdo, pero eso es una tonteria y solo responde a un calentón, el cual es muy facil de tener con estas noticias.

Pienso que todavia durante algún tiempo los modelos se podrán ver en GE, incluso desde la versión 2 de Google maps.. de hecho voy a fabricar algunos modelos mas antes del cierre..

La tecnología cambia, unas veces hay malas noticias y otras son mejores, pero eso no es motivo tu trabajo desparezca de un lugar donde mucha gente puede visionarlos, tu ahora has optado por visionarlos solo tu.

¿ Ganas algo borrando los modelos ? realmente no, yo tambien estoy molesto por al noticia, pero nadie sabe lo que ocurrira en los proximos meses.

Yo entiendo que Google ha parado el equipo de revisión y aceptacion de modelos, pero no ha dicho que vaya a retirar los modelos.

Dudo que tanto trabajo y esfuerzo por parte de todos, incluido google.. se elimine y no se pueda visionar...es más dudo que Google sepa que hacer con ellos en este momento.

la unificación de maps y GE requeriere convivir tecnologías diferentes y eso es muy complicado...por ello algo se ha de sacrificar si se quiere "evolucionar"

A mi me gustaria como a otros, que las cosas fueran como todos conocemos, pero los tiempos empujan a cambios constantes, el que no lo haga quedará tascado aquí, o en otras situaciones de la vida.

Mi consejo es enfriarse, dejar las cosas como están  y ver que ocurre en los próximos meses.

peterg

Mado

Aug 8, 2013, 10:38:21 AM8/8/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
"dejar las cosas como están  y ver que ocurre en los próximos meses"
"laisser les choses comme elles sont" ....
Google ne laisse pas les choses comme elles sont !!!!!!
Ils ont décidé d'arrêter la 3DWarehouse .... et tant pis pour les "pauvres" "vieux" modeleurs .... amateurs ou professionnels !
point final.
Je pense a tous ces modeleurs amateurs qui ont passé des milliers d'heures (comme mon mari, Bdhy), ou qui ont commencé a en faire une activité profesionnelle ....
Tant pis pour eux, Google décide.

drobbins

Aug 8, 2013, 11:53:23 AM8/8/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
While this news is very sad for me because I had fun modeling various places and discovering new uses for the models in the GE platform, I have finally resigned that the technology has outpaced the user generated model in their goal of modeling the majority of the world. Yes, the current 3d mesh imagery looks like crap up close, but I suspect that will change within the next year or less. Google has spent a lot of time and money capturing Street View imagery of this planet, and wherever they captured that imagery they also got detailed LIDAR information as well.

While I believe that the current 3D mesh models are generated from aerial imagery, which might or might not include LIDAR information, I think the next iteration of the 3D mesh models will merge that existing aerial information with the street level LIDAR information to create models of stunning accuracy. So much so that it might be a little unnerving to some. Right now they are probably working on the programming to merge all that data together and have it display and function seamlessly in Google Earth.

In my mind what will be the next revolutionary step for that 3D layer once the hyper realistic mesh is completed will be if they find a way through programming to break up the mesh along building boundaries to re institute the click-ability of individual buildings and structures. I know Google would like to think that the interactivity of Google Earth is preserved through the geolocation of icons alone, but that is far from the case.  The buildings should be the top level entry point to subsequent icons because the buildings are the largest items you see when you enter an area on GE

That's just my 2 cents.

Darian Robbins

Google Craig

Aug 8, 2013, 12:45:13 PM8/8/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hi everybody,

I've been reading through all of your responses and want to acknowledge that this news may indeed come as a shock, is certainly disappointing and has made folks sad/mad that their hobby, and in some cases, businesses will be affected. This wasn't an easy decision to make.

What most people may not realize, is the size of the effort required to support the user generated 3D pipeline. We are challenged to create a complete, accurate and consistent 3D world, and we only have so much time and people to do it. In order to push forward with our best effort, we have to make the difficult decision of not just what we need to do to meet our goals, but what we must stop doing so we can focus completely.

I know this isn't good news for 3D geo-modelers, and we can fully understand your disappointment. Many of us started out as modelers, and know how much skill, effort and time it takes to create these very good models. We very much respect your skills and wish there was a way to continue to support this pipeline, but we just can't. The effort on our side was very great, and we aren't able to sustain it during this transition to newer technology.

I appreciate the thoughtful responses and will continue to read your posts and answer what questions I can.

Best,

     - CraigD

Pavel Averyanov

Aug 8, 2013, 12:58:02 PM8/8/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Its all about money, guys )
But anyway, thx for SU and for GE. It was really greate time for all of us.

matthiasbasler

Aug 8, 2013, 1:34:58 PM8/8/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
The famous Friedrich Schiller once placed the following words in the mouth of a black servant:

Der Mohr hat seine Schuldigkeit getan, der Mohr kann gehen.
(engl. The Moor has done his duty, the Moor can go. )

He was sooo right.

Well, if Google thinks they don't need the community any more, they do not deserve my models any more. Also, since I would not be able to keep my models up-to-date to reflect real world changes or move them whenever the imagery changes, I don't want to see the models waste away over the years. So better kill them quickly.

I have therefore decided that, if Google doesn't revise this decision, I will be deleting all my ~400 georeferenced models from the 3DWH on the start of October, among them (but not limited to):
  • Half the city center of Weißenburg, Germany
  • The majority of stave churches in the 3DWH
  • Some buildings in the famous tourist city of Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Germany
  • The city hall of Wernigerode, Germany (well-known for weddings because of its lovely architecture)
  • The famous Naumburg cathedral, Germany
  • The famous "All Saints' Church, Wittenberg" (Germany), on whose door Marthin Luther is claimed to have placed his 95 theses.
  • Fürstenfeld abbey, Germany
  • and many more churches, castles, city halls and iconic buildings in and around Germany.
Fellow modellers, you might want to revisit these models before they are gone and download whatever you like.

Since this leaves me with nothing substantial in Google's cloud, I will close my Google account as well. (Sorry for the NSA & Co. which may have a harder time spying on me in the future.)
Of course I will explain to the local newspaper why my town will suddenly look so empty. They were interested in this modelling project.

P.S. I agree with some other modellers that the technology of user-created building models had a big potential which was not fully exploited until now. There would imho have been alternatives, such as offering commercial reviews and specific layers for professionals, like city planners, historical buildings etc. (thus covering the review costs).

Matthias Basler, (rather full of bitterness now)
Message has been deleted

Pedro Domecq

Aug 8, 2013, 1:56:47 PM8/8/13
to 3D Modeling for Google Earth & Maps on behalf of matthiasbasler
Hi Matthias

Yo no voy a borrar ningún modelo, tengo mas de 600, me parece precipitado, además
Creo que algunos no han entendido el mensaje: Google no va a borrar los modelos de la capa 0, por lo menos no lo ha dicho...
hay que tener paciencia y ver que ocurre, yo tambien he tenido momentos de borrarlos, pero no lo voy hacer.. en absoluto.

Igual que tu, el que borre sus modelos, luego se arrepienta.. no los podras volver a subir nunca más.. pienso que es mejor dejarlos en la capa 0, puede que pernamezcan muchos meses, incluso años visibles por lo menos hasta que exista Google Earth..

Best

peterg

Pedro Domecq

VirtualData Consultores s.l

mobile +34 656 70 93 69

AVISO

Este correo electrónico, así como cualquiera de sus anexos, puede contener información confidencial. Su contenido es para uso exclusivo de sus destinatarios, por lo que queda prohibida la difusión, copia o utilización de dicha información por terceros. Si usted lo recibiera por error, por favor, notifíquelo al remitente y elimine el mensaje con todas sus copias. La seguridad de la comunicación a través de correo electrónico no puede ser garantizada. La información puede ser interceptada, estar corrupta o incompleta, perderse, retrasarse o contener virus. Por ello, el remitente, no se responsabiliza de cualquier error u omisión en los contenidos de este mensaje, provocados por la propia comunicación a través de correo electrónico.
Aunque hemos tomado las medidas para asegurarnos que este correo electrónico y sus ficheros adjuntos están libres de virus, le recomendamos que a efectos de mantener buenas prácticas de seguridad, el receptor debe asegurarse que este correo y sus ficheros adjuntos están libres de virus.

DISCLAIMER

This message and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. If you have received this e-mail by mistake, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and delete it with all its copies. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.
Although we have taken steps to insure that this e-mail and attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good computing practice, the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free. Ex

2013/8/8 matthiasbasler via 3D Modeling for Google Earth & Maps <3dwh+noreply-APn2wQctJm3RXHiPyzx...@googlegroups.com>

- via the 3D Warehouse site: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/forum
- via Google Groups: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/3dwh

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "3D Modeling for Google Earth & Maps" group.

Mado

Aug 8, 2013, 2:09:04 PM8/8/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 1 year .... they will be deleted

:(

Kudret Earth

Aug 8, 2013, 3:07:50 PM8/8/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Bad news...

Well, we all were driving in a tunnel which is dark and hard to calculate its lenght.
This was a powerful mutualistic relationship between modelers and Google. They've provided the substructure, and we enriched the content by modeling millions of models.

However, Google decided to leave us. But there are so many questions that should be answered...

When will 3D Map technology will be applied in a village of Turkey? Or even a city of Turkey?
I don't think it will be quick process. Even street view option is still disabled in my country for years.

This was an inevitable end. Yes we're sad, and i think it will be good if Google sent us some gifts as they did in sales period of Sketchup to Trimble.

I'm very pleased for being a part of this community with my 771 models on Google Earth.

Regards.

Sebastian S.

Aug 8, 2013, 3:30:08 PM8/8/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Well, I just came back from the hospital after 10 days and the first thing I saw when I went to the 3D-Warehouse was this anouncement! Great, isn't it?! But (to be quite honest) I'm not extremly surprised. Google had to chose a way and (to the bad of this community) they chose the auto-generated models. After all, Google is a business and they have to think about themeself in the first place because without them there would be none of those things like GE and the 3D-Warehouse!

I'm grateful for the chance Google gave me, way back then (5 years ago) and since they let the models stay on GE for are while they still give us this really small piece to hold on to (at least for a couple of months).

I could end this post by saying how extremly dissapointed I am in people like bdhy (or mado/Joe or whatever name he uses now) for making fun and being disrespectful to those who had faith in the 3D-Warehouse for so long but I wanna end this post on a positiev note and thank Craig for his help!

From the very start till now you helped me with my problems, gave me advice and did that while helping countless others as well and maintaining GE and the Google 3D-Warehouse. You're not the person who makes all those decisions but still you have to stick your neck out and tell us those decision and you're also the one who has to to deal with the reactions. I don't take this support and help for granted! A huge THANK YOU for that! :)

So, I'd say say, keep your heads up and lets see what the future has in store for us! Maybe things gonna work out in a way that none of us is expecting! :)

Regards

-Sebastian

Google Craig

Aug 8, 2013, 5:22:05 PM8/8/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Sebastian, I appreciate that. There are a lot of people here who should share the thanks though, folks who I work with who've tirelessly created the servers, who've worked hard to get the acceptance criteria correct, people who've designed and supported the internal testing tools, people who've answered many questions over the years, folks who've judged and appealed tens of thousands of models, and people on my team who've made a ton of user generated models for Google Earth and have been involved in every process listed above. There really are great people here, who've been dedicated for years, to make sure it was possible to have these models in Google Earth.

So, I will share that thank you with them, and we thank you back! Your models, along with others of your caliber, have been astoundingly beautiful and have a made a big difference in Google Earth.

It's been a pleasure getting to know and work with you Sebastian. :)

   - CraigD

isidro del pino

Aug 8, 2013, 7:55:29 PM8/8/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
era de esperar,desde que google vendio a trimble,se olia,cualquier empresa hace reformas y esta es realmente triste,con en gran trabajo realizado por muchos de mis compañeros en el modelado 3d,esto es un mal pagar,en fin,desde aqui quiero mandar un gran saludo a los guias y a toda la comunidad de modeladores,nos queda poco tiempo de ser util,y aprovecho la ocasion para comentar que la nueva tecnologia 3d que vais a inponer en google earth es muy ,,,bueno lo voy a decir como se dicen las cosas,es espantosa,las calles se ven como si el sol derritiera el planeta,los arboles,parecen velas consumidas,me gustaria hacer una toma de las ciudades mas importantes del mundo en la actualidad,y posteriormente recordarlas,vais a romper una labor de muchos años de trabajo,dedicacion sin animo de lucro y mucho interes por esto,estoy casi seguro que dentro de muy poco,sketchup desaparecera,ya que no va tener utilidad,realmente esto es una mala noticia para los que hemos puesto tanto de si

peterX

Aug 8, 2013, 9:07:21 PM8/8/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Craig,

I understand the effort needed to sustain the quality and integrity of the "3D Buildings" layer in Google Earth. Google and Trimble should be commended for the outstanding job over the years.

Why not allow the user community share in this effort for the benefit of everyone? User submitted models for review can be reviewed by peer modelers. This model has been used successfully in Google MapMaker.

I believe this should be tried before shutting down the review pipeline.

Peter

TANG

Aug 8, 2013, 10:52:26 PM8/8/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
CraigD

我來自臺灣,我是Tang

我也是超級模型師,我們不能否認這7年中,Google對地理建模的努力,我也很榮幸2010年參與瑞士蘇黎世的建模會議,那是一個令人值得再度回憶的一件事情
因為科技的發展,快速的建立3D模型,是必要的,雖然我也很傷心這是一個不好的消息,但我們擁有3D建模的技術,這也是可以朝著其他方向去發展的,而不是
只有地理模型單一選項。

希望大家能讓自己的情緒處於穩定,不要讓這次的決策,而影響自己對於3D的熱愛,願大家可以有更好其它的工作發展,也能開始另一個新的世界!

Best,

tang

Google Craig於 2013年8月7日星期三UTC+8上午1時00分03秒寫道:

Zix

Aug 9, 2013, 2:20:22 AM8/9/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Craig, hi modelers,

I hope, that together we will find a solution to our problems. In any case, this was a nice experience for all of us. I'm afraid I will lose SU popularity. Unfortunately, we know who's boss. It would be wrong to delete our models.
I like the new Google maps, but I prefer Google Earth.

Greetings to all my friends and modelers around the world.

3rd Angle

Aug 9, 2013, 2:55:57 AM8/9/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Is it possible to maintain a huge number of designers of buildings proposed in this way?
Ghaleb 3D Warehouse.jpg

KEITH LURIE

Erwin Held

Aug 9, 2013, 3:38:53 AM8/9/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
@ Zix
your first post sounds a little different.
...in fact "we" find no solution, only a huge tons of E-Mails maybe first-hand to Mr. Page and friends could help. Or the deleting of dozens of Google accounts.
Some guys here like Mathias Basler and MADO got the balls to say the truth, others are hoping at the mercy of the "NWO builded Google inc.and friends"
Best to all brave modelers

Jonathan Green

Aug 9, 2013, 4:13:50 AM8/9/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
It has occurred to me that many of my own models are far away of any town or city. I don't anticipate these areas being covered by the 3D mesh any time soon, or even years into the future.
That said, I would still like to add to what Sebastian S. comments to say that I'm also grateful for what Google have done. Their tools have allowed me an experience that has become more than just a hobby, and enabled me to learn and do some things that even 10 years ago, I would never have dreamed of.
GE modelers now need to start thinking of how to use Sketchup for other work. Used in the right way, the software is more powerful than some would believe. I do have sympathy for those who have made businesses from this kind of work but there is a lot of potential beyond models for GE, so GE modelers take heart and find a new path.

Jonathan

Erwin Held

Aug 9, 2013, 4:39:31 AM8/9/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
@ Jonathan,
We all used licensed versions of Google Earth and Sketch up.We spend Castles, churches, Bridges ans so on for Free! Some guys went to the Sketchup Camps
making Sketchup more usable...
So please stop that blabla what "Google did for us--!!"
Me and my Partners invest dozens of Euro to generate Marketing, development and  businessplans, offices and more.

The main Reason to buy an 3D Model for an costumer is: make it clickable and seen worldwide at any Computer which has installed Google Earth.
After this we made Films, 3D PDF an other stuff with this basic 3D Model.
This main Reason is falling with an little Post---

So tell me, my wife, my unpayed home and my 3 Years old boy what path??? Shit on it... an complete Business Idea is death since 06.08 / 4:55 PM
I must be cool to find the right words.
But for many people is an world broken down, my lovely Jonathan.

Mado

Aug 9, 2013, 5:00:40 AM8/9/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Jonathan,
I used
AutoCAD, Solidedge, Solidworks, Catia V5, Catia V6 ... and SketchUp. SU is still a small software.
Now is that Trimble will long a free version of SU? and anyway to do anything with it???

peterg/gipuzkoa3d

Aug 9, 2013, 9:02:17 AM8/9/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com

sometimes you have to stand up and continue ....

peterg

przygod

Aug 9, 2013, 9:42:21 AM8/9/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
@Erwin

I understand your story. I also had such offer in the past. But I reversed everything after last year conference which was introducing auto generated mesh.

Keep it as a lesson not to base your business plan only on some other company services when you don't have any agreement with such company stating dates on which such service will be provided.
Its not only about Google, but any service...

Planart Portugal

Aug 9, 2013, 12:54:59 PM8/9/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
October 1, is the deadline for updating 3D models in Google Earth.
It's the end of an era. The epoch of 3D modelers who contributed with millions of 3D models.
It is a transition to a better quality?
We think not. It is a change for the globalization of 3D on Google Earth but in the opposite direction to the artistic quality of the models developed by modelers.

This is the view of a 3D modeler.
Manuel Vaz ( planart )

matthiasbasler

Aug 9, 2013, 2:26:35 PM8/9/13
Hi peterg

unlike some other modelers I kept all the original skp models (and kmz files and textures and all) all stored on my PC, so if I delete the models from the 3DWH I will not lose them, and I will certainly take the time and save the model descriptions beforehand. So if eventually another platform comes up which accepts KMZ models these models might get second chance.

I am aware that Google will not delete the models, not yet at least. But not being able to keep my models up-to-date is a no-go for me.

Matthias

Google Craig

Aug 9, 2013, 1:29:11 PM8/9/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

I've received a few questions about what exactly will happen on October 1st with regards to user created 3D models, so here are some clarifications.

What happens to my 3D models in the Trimble 3D Warehouse after October 1st, 2013?
 - No models will be removed from the Trimble 3D Warehouse. That means all of your models will remain available to you, and shared with others, on the Trimble 3D Warehouse, such as they currently are. You'll be able to continue to upload and share models in the Trimble 3D Warehouse going forward.

What about 3D models for the 3D Buildings layer in Google Earth?
 - We have a 3D Layer push scheduled for the end of the week of October 1st, 2013, but it may take a few additional weeks to review and process all of the remaining accepted models, so we'll have another push once those models are all cleared from the queue. That may take a few weeks, and will represent a final snapshot of user content for the 3D Buildings layer.

All user generated models that are accepted and visible in Google Earth on October 1st, and those that may take a few weeks to get through the pipeline, will be published to, and remain in the 3D Buildings layer until such a time as they are replaced by 3D Imagery data. So, many models will still remain visible in the layer for some time going forward.

If you want to make sure your buildings are published, please try to get them through the process as early as possible, and make sure to adhere closely to the acceptance criteria so that the models aren't going into the appeals process (which may cause the model to miss the final reviews).

I hope that helps clarify the process.

Thanks,

    - CraigD
Message has been deleted

Eloi Raiol 12 9

Aug 9, 2013, 3:52:27 PM8/9/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
I honestly had expected this when the SU was sold, it took a while but the inevitable happened.
The interesting thing is that after a few months and very busy without making new models at the beginning of the month I began to prepare material for making some models and not lose practice.
Now with this horrible news ...

Em sexta-feira, 9 de agosto de 2013 16h51min08s UTC-3, Eloi Raiol 12 9 escreveu:
Eu sinceramente esperava ISSO, when was vendido um SU, demorou UM Pouco, mas o Inevitável Aconteceu.
O Interessante Opaco E DEPOIS de alguns Meses e Muito ocupado, SEM Fazer Novos modelos não Início fazer esse estatuto, começei a preparar o material de parágrafo Fazer alguns modelos e Localidade: Não Perder a Prática.
Agora, com ESSA Notícia Horrível ...

Eloi Raiol

isidro del pino

Aug 9, 2013, 6:02:08 PM8/9/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
mi gran pregunta a google,¿estaisa dipuestos a dejar tantantas cuentas de correo libre?sois mundialmente el lider en comunicacion por buqueda,¿sabeias cuantos usuarios se daran de baja con sus cuentas?,realmente que el gran google deje caer su imperio,qiere decir que la economia mundaial,esta en manos de destructores,

Aubrey Skelly

Aug 9, 2013, 7:35:14 PM8/9/13
to 3D Modeling for Google Earth & Maps on behalf of Eloi Raiol 12 9

That is why everyone jumped  a year ago, trimble were always going to eradicate modellers, They are a business, no longer associated with Google and hate to say this but you and any remaining modellers should have seen this coming. They don't care about you and never will. An ex modeller.
Saludos

On Aug 9, 2013 8:51 PM, "Eloi Raiol 12 9 via 3D Modeling for Google Earth & Maps" <3dwh+noreply-APn2wQdvJ0nuxetj1MN...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> Eu sinceramente esperava isso, quando a SU foi vendido, demorou um pouco, mas o inevitável aconteceu.
> O interessante é que depois de alguns meses e muito ocupado, sem fazer novos modelos no início do mês, comecei a preparar o material para fazer alguns modelos e não perder a prática.
> Agora, com essa notícia horrível ...
>
> Eloi Raiol

Erwin Held

Aug 9, 2013, 10:49:39 PM8/9/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
@CraigD
thanks, this is the first, very important Information about some peoples future. So we can push pour last 3 models in the right time.
After 01 October are the models clickable? Or can you enreach the model information in an other way?

Did one of your Chiefs known this discussion? Did they realize which wide circles this decision makes?
Best- To all brave modelers-

Erwin Held

Aug 9, 2013, 10:59:23 PM8/9/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
@ Mathias,
good spoken!!  for me and my models i´am not to be afraid .. Google compressed my Models till death, so i make always a second version of all my models, Totally high resolution and usable for Games or
Applications which are having an interest in a 100% exactly displaying.
So maybe Bing or IOS7 have an interest at dozens of handmade models, we will see, where the technical develop. goes. I´am prepared therefore.

- Best - to all brave modelers

Erwin Held

Aug 10, 2013, 1:49:50 AM8/10/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hello CraogD,
what happens with Google Maps? Is there any changing planned? Or could we calculate in the same way like Google Earth?
Thanks and best
E-H-

Mado

Aug 10, 2013, 5:51:08 AM8/10/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
I completely agree with you.
More ... Trimble (Google) does not hesitate to represent (French home page) all 3DWarehouse iconic buildings ... works of amateur modelers like : Arrigo Silva, Damo, Sainkindi, 3DHH etc ..!

http://www.sketchup.com/intl/fr/

Mado

Le samedi 10 août 2013 01:35:14 UTC+2, Aubrey a écrit :

That is why everyone jumped  a year ago, trimble were always going to eradicate modellers, They are a business, no longer associated with Google and hate to say this but you and any remaining modellers should have seen this coming. They don't care about you and never will. An ex modeller.
Saludos

Corfu Eiland

Aug 10, 2013, 12:37:59 PM8/10/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
What a stupid decision. I have no words for this. In a time of economical crisis you're going to stop all the 3D-buildings in GE what is in some cases peoples business?????

isidro del pino

Aug 10, 2013, 5:03:42 PM8/10/13
to 3D Modeling for Google Earth & Maps on behalf of Corfu Eiland
que gran pena,tanta gente diciendo,que no rompan el gran imperio de sketchup 3d capa 0,y cuando gritas al viento no hay eco ni nadie que te escuche,triste cancion de navidad en agosto,que pena de labor MUNDIAL, o mejor dicho universal,,,,esto se puede calificar como un esterminio masivo,trae recuerdos de la segunda guerra mundial,,,,la humanidad actual,sea del pàis que sea,no tiene cultura filosofica-ni cultural,esta desicion es muy parecida a la quema de la gran biblioteca de alejandria,un notable hito en la historia de todos los tiempos,en el cual se borro la historia antigua,dando paso a la nueva hera mundial,yo creo que la cultura,la religion,la naturaleza,la raza humana en general,no debe perder nunca su identidad ,tanto sea como pueblo,cultura fe ,,etc,,etc,,este acto de borrar un medio tan grande,como nosotros los modeladores hemos cultivado tantos años,no se puede cambiar tu tierra de cosecha,en favor de una maquina,estais dando una imagen muy particular que el ser humano,con su arte y su desteza,puede hacer las mas grandes maravillas de nuestro mundo,nadie puede ni tiene el derecho de suprimir el arte y la cultura de una region,pais o continente,yo abogo a la filosofia de google en la cual profesaba que estas contribuyendo a una labor de NACIONES UNIDAS,en la cual exponiamos nuestro trabajo,nuestros modelos,para la reorientacion en una catastrofe local o mundial,google no roto con nosotros,tambien con la organizacion de las naciones undads,trimble y su proyecto lidar,no puede expresar un edificio,o region al igual,que estar a pie de calle,fotografiar,y modelar,creo que vuestra desicion es adecuada al dinero,pero no al legado del arte,ni google,ni trimble ni nadie en este mundo podra suprimir de ninguna nacion el arte,modeladores como  pedro domecq,arrigo sila sebastian s,tang huang,eugeni llopart,bernard,feri,radmilo,eloy,jose manuel,y muchos mas,que faltan,todos son unos enormes artistas,y me siento triste que el arte y sus artista mueran sin batallar,un gran abrazo a todos mis compañeros de batalla,y que trimble,google sepan,que aqui hay un legionario del modelage 3d para siempre,para cualquier nueva experiencia yo estare aqui,hasta la proxima

2013/8/10 Corfu Eiland via 3D Modeling for Google Earth & Maps <3dwh+noreply-APn2wQcTrbJjjW4P2AR...@googlegroups.com>
What a stupid decision. I have no words for this. In a time of economical crisis you're going to stop all the 3D-buildings in GE what is in some cases peoples business?????

- via the 3D Warehouse site: http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/forum
- via Google Groups: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/3dwh

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "3D Modeling for Google Earth & Maps" group.

isidro del pino

Aug 10, 2013, 5:32:05 PM8/10/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
hola mado bdhy,que tal estas,un saludo

El sábado, 10 de agosto de 2013 10:51:08 UTC +1, Mado escribio:
Estoy totalmente de acuerdo con usted.
Más ... Trimble (Google) no duda en representar (home page Francés) todos los edificios emblemáticos 3DWarehouse ... obras de creadores de modelos amateurs como: Arrigo Silva, Damo, Sainkindi, 3dHH etc ..! http://www.sketchup.com/intl/ fr / Mado Le samedi 10 août 2013 01:35:14 UTC +2, Aubrey un écrit :

Es por eso que todos se subieron hace un año, Trimble siempre se va a erradicar modelistas, son un negocio, ya no se asocian con Google y odio decir esto, pero usted y los modeladores restantes debería haber visto venir. Ellos no se preocupan por ti y nunca lo harán. Un ex modelista.
Saludos

El 09 de agosto 2013 20:51, "Eloi Raiol 12 9 a través de modelado 3D de Google Earth y Maps" < 3dwh + noreply- APn2wQdvJ0nuxetj1MNxdBxT2CqY2B lTRuhPm4M4qufZaDzkr-9 @ googlegroups.com > escribió:

> Eu sinceramente Esperava isso, quando una SU foi vendido, demorou um pouco, mas o Inevitável Aconteceu.
> O interessante é Que depois de alguns Meses e muito Ocupado, sem fazer novos Modelos no início do mês, comecei un PreparAR o materiales párrafo fazer alguns Modelos e não Perder una prática.

> Agora, com essa notícia horrível ...
>
> Eloi Raiol
>
> -
> -

.> Has recibido este mensaje porque estás suscrito al "Modelado 3D para Google Earth y Maps" grupo

> Has recibido este mensaje porque estás se suscribió el "Modelado 3D para mapas de Google Earth y" grupo. Para participar en esta discusión o ajustar sus opciones de membresía, visita el foro:
>
> - a través del sitio Galería 3D: http://sketchup.google.com/ 3dwarehouse/forum
> - a través de Grupos de Google: https://groups.google . com / foro / #! forum/3dwh
>
> ---
> Has recibido este mensaje porque estás suscrito a los Grupos de Google "Modelado 3D para Google Earth y Maps" grupo.
> Para cancelar la suscripción a este grupo y dejar de recibir correos electrónicos de , enviar un correo electrónico a 3dwh + uns ... @ googlegroups.com .
> Para más opciones, visita https://groups.google.com/ grupos / opt_out .

Pedro Domecq

Aug 10, 2013, 5:42:40 PM8/10/13
to 3D Modeling for Google Earth & Maps on behalf of isidro del pino
En una cosa estoy de acuerdo con isidro.

El valor cultural que daban algunos modelos nunca los darán los modelos autogenerados..
Eso si es una gran perdida, sobre todo para los más jovenes...  los modelos 3d tenian un gran tiron, y de una gran ayuda para usar los mapas.
Los modelos autogenerados, no tienen precisión para ofrecer un valor cultural, sobre todo en Europa donde la historia es larga...

En resumen, ahora tendremos más cantidad, pero de menor calidad y eso a veces falla, supongo que todo se reduce a una cuestión de mantenimiento y presupuesto.

Bien es cierto que la comunidad es una gran carga.... para soportar..

Saludos
[...]

Andrea Gerotto

Aug 10, 2013, 5:57:40 PM8/10/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Ciao CRAIG.
Ciao a TUTTI.
Mi unisco al coro di lamento di tutti i modellatori del mondo. Ma preavviso o no Google fa ciò che vuole con i suoi prodotti. E' sempre stato così in nome dell'innovazione e del business.
La bellezza del lavoro di geo modellatore era la possibilità di vedere il tuo elaborato su GE. E allora perché continuare?
Craig se puoi parlare con qualcuno di influente Io ho due proposte.
1) Mantenere il livello con una piccola tassa per ogni modello caricato. Diciamo 50 € a modello. Google ci guadagna e noi continuiamo il nostro contributo.
Oppure
2) Creazione di un GOOGLE BUSINESS MODELS PROGRAM ( come Google business photos) al quale accedono di diritto tutti i modellatori iscritti a oggi. Sarebbe il riconoscimento di Google per chi, come me, ha investito giornate di lavoro per aumentare la accuratezza di GE.
Grazie Craig.
Buona fortuna a tutti i colleghi modellatori.
Lunga vita e prosperità.

Google Craig

Aug 10, 2013, 6:44:58 PM8/10/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Erwin, to answer your questions: we do not plan to turn off the clickability of the buildings on October 1st, just stop uploading new models to Google Earth and shut down that pipeline/process. The information bubbles will not be updated after that point but will remain available to click on.

Our chiefs know of this discussion and have been involved in this decision. It is an elemental shift in technology process, not based on money, but based on what technology we drive forward for our products (including Maps and Maps on mobile).

There is no option to create or maintain a custom 3D Buildings layer going forward, as we are going to focus our efforts on the new 3D Imagery technology, to continue to improve it.

Again, I do understand this disappointment, there just isn't any way to continue to provide support for the time consuming pipeline process.

Trimble is very dedicated to SketchUp, and will continue to develop that tool, and the 3D Warehouse for modelers of the future. In that way, I foresee better development in the future.

   - Craig

Erwin Held

Aug 10, 2013, 11:23:27 PM8/10/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
@ Craig,
thanks for this background info. So we can handle some things in correct ways..
E-H

Erwin Held

Aug 11, 2013, 1:18:02 AM8/11/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
@ Gerotto,and GraigD
good idea, maybe Trimble and Google can calculate and make reasonable terms for handle user generated Content. In our case i will pay 100 € for each model, now problem.
We had an order position over 15 new models to build for Google Earth. So Trimble can earn without any effort 1500€ >>>For me this sounds good.<<<<
Only Problem, not all of this modelers got an well planned concept to sell models for an fair price. So we must get together in an Global company which sells Models and the marketing behind them.<---This could be Trimble for example ;-)

What about you GraigD? An food for thought?

Best to all brave modelers--

E-H-

Mado

Aug 11, 2013, 3:02:08 AM8/11/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Salut Isidro,
de la part de Bdhy :
même si les échanges ne furent pas toujours cordiaux, il provenaient d'une passion commune.
J'ai détruit pratiquement tous mes modèles il y a quelques temps le cœur triste après plus de 5 ans de passion, d'échanges et de découvertes (... et de quelques bagarres à propos de certains modèles comme le Concorde :) ), et maintenant c'est toute la communauté qui devra voir disparaître peu a peu toutes ces heures de "travail".
Il y a de véritables chefs d’œuvres dans la 3DWarehouse ... c'est triste de penser que tout va disparaître (je pense aussi à Chigirinsky pour lequel sa fille s'est battue pour conserver sa mémoire ...), mais la vie continue !
Salut de Mado & Bdhy

matthiasbasler

Aug 11, 2013, 5:11:05 AM8/11/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hi all.

Some of you have expressed the wish for alternatives to Google Earth for displaying their models, especially in the light of the fact that a user/modeller-driven review process and 3D layer in Google Earth seems unlikely, at least to me.

The closest match I am aware of is Nasa World Wind. It is a digital globe just like Google Earth, covering the earth with satellite and aerial images and terrain, symbols and paths, but it was developed by NASA and it is Open Source. I actually knew and used it before I got to knew Google Earth in 2005 (if I remember correctly.) It uses Open GL and can be run on multiple platforms (probably all where 32 bit Java and JOGL are available), including Android in test phase.

But before you set your expectations too high, let me clarify that ...
  • World Wind comes in English language only, as far as I know.
  • World Wind is not a "mom-tested" end user application as Google Earth, but an digital globe engine developed for scientists (but it was not that difficult to use either when I tried it in 2005)
  • The demo application is not as intuitively to navigate as GE by mouse, but supports tilting, zooming and everything needed.
  • World Wind has a development cycle not driven by the latest software/hardware gadgets on market but by scientist requirements and the need to being able to import all sorts of imagery and scientific data overlays and access all kinds of spatial data sources on the web.
  • World Wind is an Open Source Java SDK, so it can be used to created custom applications geared to solve specific tasks of scientists and engineers.
  • World Wind is fed by freely available geodata and imagery which usually is of lower resolution than commercial imagery. However, it can display Bing imagery, which, for Weißenburg, Germany, looks good enough to place models on.
  • The elevation data looks to be of poorer quality, at least in a few spots in Germany where I looked at it. It is rather "bumpy".
There is KMZ support in World Wind, but I would not expect it to be able to cope with 3D buildings. Haven't tried that specifically though.

(Installation note: You will need a 32 bit java installed and found in order to run WorldWind. If your OS uses a 64 bit Java by default you might need to edit your path variable (in Windows) or edit the run-demo.bat to use "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\java" or the like instead of just "java".)

What I am saying is that WorldWind is not yet in a state where it can replace GE as base for our user-generated models, but I see the potential of it becoming such alternative. This, however would require not just skilled modellers, but also a few skilled Java developers making sure WorldWind engine will play along with the KMZ 3D models nicely. And it will require, in a next step, people to create a custom WorldWind application geared towards end users (easy to install and use), provide downloads of it and, last but not least, provide and host one or multiple 3D layers and build up the review pipeline. This will required a large community, funding and probably support by another company or organization.
Hard, but definitely not impossible.

Matthias Basler

SnowTiger

Aug 11, 2013, 8:09:37 AM8/11/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Google Craig:

I get it. Google obviously gave this decision serious consideration before resigning to this outcome.

But one thing is sure, I have always recognized the amount of manpower and wages Google designated to have people review our models and to read all of these forums and maintain all of that as well as GE. I have always appreciated all that you folks do and have posted several comments in these forums (and a blog) to that effect.
I think Google's decision (re: subject matter) may well adversely affect the employment of all you folks. I hope that isn't the case but I recognize that too may be a possibility.

I am more than just a bit "ticked off" about all this ... but ... I get it.

Thanks for all that you and your colleagues have done for us over the years.

Corfu Eiland

Aug 11, 2013, 8:20:30 AM8/11/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I don't understand you, I don't understand Spanish/Portugues

Op zaterdag 10 augustus 2013 23:03:42 UTC+2 schreef isidro del pino:
[...]

STEVENYE

Aug 11, 2013, 10:01:41 AM8/11/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Good morning Craig, and thank you for informing us of this distressing news. A majority of my works are done on historic buildings of China, where the 3D-modeling community is fledging yet burgeoning. Although I am not aware of all the details, I will speculate that the deployment of auto-generated 3D imagery is not going to commence in a country like China in the foreseeable future, due to unresolved issues and intricate policies. User-made models alone have paved way to beautiful urban centers, such as Shanghai and Shenzhen, on Google Earth, but now the only channel is about to close. My first thought would be to retain at least part of the review program for areas not covered by 3D imagery, even if that meant a longer waiting period; however, I understand the financial difficulties. I would like to end the paragraph by reiterating Sebastian and Tang's notion. Thank you, Google, for providing us with this fantastic modeling opportunity in the past few years; I wish I had discovered it earlier.

Sincerely,
Steven

Pedro Domecq

Aug 11, 2013, 12:23:07 PM8/11/13
to 3D Modeling for Google Earth & Maps on behalf of matthiasbasler
Hi Matthias..

Thank for the info, time ago, i visit this site...    i like  http://eurochallenge.como.polimi.it/?q=projects

i go to use any time, and see how add kmz models..  wait...

2013/8/11 matthiasbasler via 3D Modeling for Google Earth & Maps <3dwh+noreply-APn2wQctJm3RXHiPyzx...@googlegroups.com>

Erwin Held

Aug 12, 2013, 2:42:21 AM8/12/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
@Matthias and @peterg
cool stuff, we known this app. but its not that cool one like GE, but indeed we made now some tests to gave our content to this plattform.
This one got not this good knowing name like GE, but we try to make this one for an new business plattform. We will see what our technical Dep.
says to this... we stay tuned.

Best to all brave modelers.

E-H-

Max Kraft

Aug 12, 2013, 3:31:41 AM8/12/13
to 3d...@googlegroups.com
Very sad. I guess now it's pointless for me to be on the warehouse since most of the times I was striving to make good models while I do have most of my model not for Google Earth, but honestly I've been working on buildings, etc. for the past few days. Again, very sad...
It is loading more messages.
This conversation is locked