FUN with Windows

Xant

Jun 9, 2020, 1:35:16 AM6/9/20
to weewx-user

We are now witnessing a Windows transition... from a constrained Desktop environment, to something more open, diverse, Development and Linux sided. Where all that would go, I don't know, but its worth checking recent trends.

1) CMD, PowerShell & Windows Terminal
At first came CMD, the old trustful Command Prompt.
Then Windows PowerShell, which is a mix of CMD along with Linux commands.
And now, Windows Terminal...

2) Windows VM vs WSL- Windows Subsystem for Linux
I'm an Advocate for RPi, but we must acknowledge that some (or even most), not comfortable with an original Linux box (https://groups.google.com/d/msg/weewx-user/GbgWO9QFIOI/DRQKYk88AAAJ).
2.1- VM
2.2- Windows Subsystem for Linux, which I just discovered and it seems promising to someone trying to investigate Linux and WeeWX.

But there are debate, and some even mentioning Multipass
if wasn't already confusing....

2.3- Multipass (https://multipass.run/)

Indeed, there are options...

Wondering feedback from any path above.

Xant

vince

Jun 9, 2020, 10:45:29 AM6/9/20
to weewx-user
On Monday, June 8, 2020 at 10:35:16 PM UTC-7, Xant wrote:
Wondering feedback from any path above.

Actually I'm wondering what your post(s) have to do with weewx.   Seems like you want to write a Medium blog or something, which is fine - good stuff, just perhaps the wrong place to post about it.   There are a thousand reddit forums if you're looking for other places to post instead.

Xant

Jun 9, 2020, 5:16:26 PM6/9/20
to weewx-user

Per diverse related postings, there are Users that may not be comfortable with Linux boxes, and in search for WeeWX Windows solutions.

That said, there are recent developments and portability in Windows for Linux, other than VM (as you previously posted), and wondering if feasible option to those searching for Windows solutions.

Properly posted at WeeWX User's Group, not Development

vince

Jun 9, 2020, 6:16:28 PM6/9/20
to weewx-user
On Tuesday, June 9, 2020 at 2:16:26 PM UTC-7, Xant wrote:
Properly posted at WeeWX User's Group, not Development

My opinion - long discussions not relevant to weewx at all aren't properly posted.
Others of course might differ in opinion, which is fine too.
Have a nice day.

Andrew Milner

Jun 9, 2020, 11:34:34 PM6/9/20
to weewx-user
I agree with Vince

Xant

Jun 16, 2020, 9:21:15 PM6/16/20
to weewx-user

Vince et al

Note taken:
  1. Windows not as popular, but posting highlighting new recent Windows features, and further options for WeeWX users on this platform
  2. Not trying to diverge from anything other than WeeWX collaboration; although, I acknowledge that Title may have lead to misunderstanding and purpose
As an active user and contributor to WeeWX cause, and as Home Automation continues to evolve, I always try to connect systems and latest developments...  specially towards WeeWX.

I learned a lot from other WeeWX enthusiasts projects and feedback in similar postings:
Out-of-the-Box, all related to WeeWX..., making WeeWX User's group the perfect forum to exchange personal projects and experiences.

Let's enjoy WeeWX User's Group... beyond a forum for bugs or a posting place only for difficulties. Not trying to be a "Medium blog" (or other), but a exchange for WeeWX Users to share projects, constructive ideas, and common feedbacks.

Xant

Jan 3, 2021, 8:57:49 PM1/3/21
to weewx-user

To Vince et all

1st and foremost, wishing you a "possible 2021" (all considered).

You may have realized (or not), that I'm no longer posting to Weewx Forum group for months (as my postings seems to get different perspective than intended...).

I'm NOT in a "Medium blog person" (not even sure what "Medium" is), whom doesn't even have a Facebook or Instagram account (whatever this "social media" means...).

Per our Weewx Tom's founder posting, "Last, but definitely not least, A fun, supportive Users' Group", which I tried to support (as a token of recognition to our Weewx Founders and supporting Group).

I APOLOGIZE to all Weewx group (as not wish to escalate..). But Vince, all my contributions were in good will... and STOP been the "police" in this forum (as it happens to me, it also happens to others; btw: you still owns me, as I saved you in MQTT settings before).

There are indeed TWO Forums:

1) Users Group

2) Developers Group

Where each one must be address accordingly.

I had GREAT pleasure in participating in this Forum (as I may still contribute at times), but Vince... please just be polite (or ignore posting feedback... ).

2021, Xant

PS1: pls, no replies
PS2: uffff... after sooo many Months, 2021 indeed feels better...

Tom Keffer

Jan 3, 2021, 9:07:31 PM1/3/21
to weewx-user
Thanks for your comments.

I have no problem with posting "related" material. Posts do not have to be about weewx directly. My original goal with WeeWX was to allow experimentation by weather enthusiasts. I think we've accomplished that. Because it's designed as a flexible, almost chameleon-like, system, it's inevitable that WeeWX will evolve in novel, perhaps surprising directions. Part of that evolution is learning about new systems and hardware.

So, post away.

Let's end this thread here. PLEASE, no back and forth, no clarifications, no "not what I meant." Let's just end it and leave me with the final word.

Cheers,

-tk