Beginner can't get past install

OogieM

Oct 11, 2019, 1:38:53 AM10/11/19
to web2py-users
New user trying to install web2py on Mac High Sierra 10.13.6

Downloaded the for users mav cersion, unzipped, verified I have python installed. I tried to run the web2py app and get a error message "web2py Error" 2 buttons, open console or terminate. Tried looking at the console but I can't see anything useful there.

Not even sure how to debug this since I can't even get to the window asking to create the admin password or get the app to run.

Nico Zanferrari

Oct 11, 2019, 2:45:22 AM10/11/19
to web...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

the official Mac binaries are broken. You can use my experimental binaries here - they work fine (except on MacOs 10.14+) and also you can choose python 2 or python 3!

Nico

--
Resources:
- http://web2py.com

Oogie McGuire

Oct 13, 2019, 8:54:48 AM10/13/19
to web...@googlegroups.com
Still can’t seem to get it to work. App comes up and immediately shits down, no error this time but never get a window to set up a password or see it to start running. Mac OS X 10.13.6

> On Oct 11, 2019, at 12:45 AM, Nico Zanferrari <nico...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> the official Mac binaries are broken. You can use my experimental binaries here - they work fine (except on MacOs 10.14+) and also you can choose python 2 or python 3!

Eugenie (Oogie) McGuire
Desert Weyr, LLC - Hi Performance Black Welsh Mountain Sheep www.DesertWeyr.com
LambTracker - Open Source Flock Management Software www.LambTracker.com
Paonia, CO USA

Nico Zanferrari

Oct 13, 2019, 12:47:24 PM10/13/19
to web...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

this is quite strange....

  • have you tried both versions (web2py_osx.2_18_5.py2.zip and web2py_osx.2_18_5.py3.zip)?
  • can you try to open their content (with CTRL on the folder) and the run the embedded web2py.app\Contents\MacOS\web2py ?
  • can you try to open a terminal and then go to web2py.app\Contents\MacOS . Then run web2py there

Nico

--
Resources:
- http://web2py.com

Nico Zanferrari

Oct 14, 2019, 4:45:03 PM10/14/19
to web...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I've found that the APP version with Python 2 was not working fine (my fault) - please try again. Also, now there are also the CMD versions that should work on any recent MacOS.

Nico

Oogie McGuire

Oct 18, 2019, 2:00:07 PM10/18/19
to web...@googlegroups.com

> On Oct 13, 2019, at 10:47 AM, Nico Zanferrari <nico...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> this is quite strange....
>
> • have you tried both versions (web2py_osx.2_18_5.py2.zip and web2py_osx.2_18_5.py3.zip)?
> • can you try to open their content (with CTRL on the folder) and the run the embedded web2py.app\Contents\MacOS\web2py ?
> • can you try to open a terminal and then go to web2py.app\Contents\MacOS . Then run web2py there
>
> Nico

Yes tried both versions.

No joy no matter what I do.

Nico Zanferrari

Oct 20, 2019, 5:19:29 PM10/20/19
to web...@googlegroups.com
Well,

I've made some additional tests. The problem comes just from the quarantine Extended Attribute.

Can you try to remove it following these simple instructions (taken from here)?

If the App is downloaded from GitHub and then copied in the desktop as web2py, open a Terminal and go to your Desktop. Then:

xattr web2py.app                                                        --> shows  com.apple.quarantine as the only Extended Attribute
xattr -d com.apple.quarantine  web2py.app             --> deletes the  com.apple.quarantine  Extended Attribute

That's all. At the following run, you only need to press once the OK button at the request to allow to web2py the access to control "System Events".

Note: if you prefer to use the CMD version, you need to use also the additional -r option on the parent folder (in order to clean up the attribute on all the contained files). The command will be something like " xattr -d -r com.apple.quarantine web2py_py3_cmd"

On my tests with Catalina, it works perfectly.  Please confirm it.

Nico

--
Resources:
- http://web2py.com