A Question for Audible Subscribers

M. Taylor

Apr 18, 2022, 2:47:44 PM4/18/22
to viph...@googlegroups.com, vip...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,

I know I saw a post about this but I cannot locate the solutions, if any
exists.

For some reason, even when in list view, VoiceOver seems to skip titles in
my Audible Library when I am browsing through them.

Is there a solution to this problem?

Interestingly, I did not begin experiencing this issue until I merged my
original Audible account with my Amazon account.

All replies greatly appreciated.

Mark

Barbara Stahl

Apr 18, 2022, 3:48:08 PM4/18/22
to viph...@googlegroups.com, vip...@googlegroups.com
I had a problem similar to yours a while ago. First, make sure that you are using the latest version of the audible app. If so then try signing out of your account in the app and then sign in again. that really helped me. Just sign out close the app then reopen it and sign in again. I hope that helps.

> On Apr 18, 2022, at 2:47 PM, M. Taylor <mk...@ucla.edu> wrote:
>
> Hello All,

Loreal Lavigna

Apr 18, 2022, 4:03:44 PM4/18/22
to viph...@googlegroups.com, vip...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

I'm a heavy audible user with nearly 700 titles in my audible library. I haven't noticed any skipping of titles, but I have seen at times where I will be scrolling through my list using a one-finger flick to the right, and all of a sudden it will start giving me the text that is at the top of the library list screen and won't continue through the list of titles. Of course, the fix for that is to do a three-finger swip up and continue swiping right with one finger to keep reading the list of titles. But as of yet I haven't run into the issue you're having.

HTH!

Sincerely,
Loreal Lavigna
General, Legal, Medical Transcriptionist
Phone: (518)330-5188
E-Mail: Loreal...@gmail.com
Website: Click here for Transcripts By Loreal

Alan Lemly

Apr 18, 2022, 11:31:25 PM4/18/22
to viph...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mark,

I really think the solution is for the Audible developers to fix the app so that single finger swipes right places focus on the next book in your library regardless if that next book is on a following screen. I went to the Library tab in the Audible app on my iPhone 13 Mini today after reading your message and noted that about 7 books are listed per screen. When a swipe right is done on the last listing on the screen, focus shifts to the mini player which is at the very bottom instead of advancing to the next book in your library. If you're on the second screen of your library on the book at the top, swiping left takes you to the filtering buttons at the top of the screen instead of advancing the screen to the preceding page. I know others have said you can do a three finger swipe up to move to succeeding pages or a three finger swipe down to move to previous pages but you have to hope that no titles are skipped when doing this because there is absolutely no way when using Voiceover to single finger swipe to every title in your library. I tried setting my rotor to vertical navigation hoping that would let me move through each title individually but it also does not cause the screen to advance or move back when attempting to move past the last book or first book on the screen.

I don't know which update changed this behavior but I don't believe it has always worked like this. If you have any suggestions on where we can write to request a change, I'd welcome it and will write Audible.

Alan Lemly

Apr 19, 2022, 12:07:50 AM4/19/22
to vip...@googlegroups.com, viph...@googlegroups.com
Yes, precisely; this is exactly what is happening.

Mark

Apr 19, 2022, 12:16:18 AM4/19/22
to viph...@googlegroups.com, vip...@googlegroups.com
Hello Alan,

Your experience and my experience are identical.

The funny thing is that I absolutely did not encounter this until early this morning when I decided to merge my old audible account with my Amazon account in order to take advantage of the Whispers Voice feature.

I have been contemplating merging my accounts for months but was afraid that doing so would cause some unexpected problem. I just knew it!!! I had no idea that the new problem would be so basic and integral to the Audible app, itself.

I spoke to 3 people at Audible / Amazon, today, and, frankly, they were worse than no help, at all. Awful, awful experience.

Mark
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/viphone2/02c401d8539d%24f15ceec0%24d416cc40%24%40gmail.com.

Lenron Brown

Apr 19, 2022, 1:02:40 AM4/19/22
to viph...@googlegroups.com, vip...@googlegroups.com
Yes this has been happening to me for months now! It is quite annoying. It makes scrolling through Books in the Audible app pretty unpleasant actually.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 18, 2022, at 11:16 PM, M. Taylor <mk...@ucla.edu> wrote:
>
> Hello Alan,
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/viphone2/004801d853a4%24372d7ea0%24a5887be0%24%40ucla.edu.

Alan Lemly

Apr 19, 2022, 1:30:08 AM4/19/22
to viph...@googlegroups.com
Well, I've had my Amazon and Audible accounts merged for a few years and I don't remember this being an issue in the past. I will admit that I don't often peruse my Audible library with my iPhone but I would much prefer it to allow me to do so individually by single finger swiping to the right. I found where I can contact Audible Support under Profile, Settings, Help and Support in the Audible app. There are buttons on the screen to call or email them and I will email them on Tuesday.

Alan
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/viphone2/004801d853a4%24372d7ea0%24a5887be0%24%40ucla.edu.

Loreal Lavigna

M. Taylor

Apr 19, 2022, 4:59:25 PM4/19/22
to vip...@googlegroups.com, viph...@googlegroups.com
Hello Kait,

Okay, I am going to paste in a small article that describes what Whispersync for Voice is and does but I don't think the article reads well for a VoiceOver user so let me thumbnail it for you:

1.
When you purchase a Whispersync for Voice kindle title, this is to say that it is a title that has an audible companion, not only can you listen to the professional audio narration, as you would do from within the Audible app, but you can see the text of the book scrolling on the display in synchronization with the audio playback. This is a very nice feature for a sighted or low vision person.

2.
One way to take advantage of this feature is to search for a word or phrase from within the kindle app, then, once founds, select the play button and the professional audio version will begin to play from that specific location.

3.
The Whispersync for Voice feature it what allows Alexa to either read the Kindle title, directly, or playback the Audible version from the title's last known reading position.

Now, I'm not certain how useful with feature would be to someone who does not use Alexa very much or to someone who does not have a need to search a book or who does not particularly enjoy the Kindle app.

As for pricing, one does not need to be an Audible subscriber to enjoy any of the features described, above.

For example, I recently purchased a Kindle title for $5. Now the Audible version of that same title, without an Audible subscription was $26.

However, after merging my accounts, yesterday, I was able to purchase the Audible version for $1.99 as I already owned the Kindle title.

Okay, the following is a little article from Audible.com.

Mark

Whispersync for Voice | Audible.com

Keep the Story Going
Switch between listening to an audiobook and reading on your Kindle with Whispersync for Voice.

When you can't read, listen.

Now you can switch between reading and listening to your Kindle books with the simple tap of a button.

Just pop in your headphones, tap the button, and keep the story going...in the car, in the gym, in the kitchen, wherever your day takes you. Whenever your eyes are occupied but your mind is free, your story is ready for listening.

How it Works

Buy the Kindle book

Add audio companion

Switch between reading and listening on the Kindle App or tablet

Experience Immersion Reading

Read and listen simultaneously with real-time highlighting. It's called Immersion Reading and that's what it does: immerse you in a story by narrating and highlighting the text as you read. It sparks an extra connection that boosts engagement, comprehension, and retention, taking you deeper into the book.

Available on Kindle App for Android and iOS, Fire HD 6 Tablet, Fire HD 7 Tablet, Kindle Fire HDX Tablet, and Fire HDX 8.9

Read. Listen. Repeat.

You can switch from reading to listening within the Kindle Fire Tablet or Kindle app. Or, you can switch between reading on one device and listening on another. For example, you can read on your tablet and then listen on your smartphone, and, thanks to Whispersync for Voice, you'll never lose your place.

Read with: Kindle Apps, Kindle, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Oasis, and Fire Tablets

Listen with: Kindle Apps, Alexa Devices, Fire Tablets, Kindle, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Oasis, and Audible Apps for iPhone, Android, and Windows