Need help with vim-plug

Eric Weir

Mar 14, 2022, 10:59:54 AM3/14/22
to vim_use, vim_mac

I’d like to switch from vundle to vim-plug for managing plugins. I copied the vim-plug script and pasted it into ~.vim/autoload. I put the following at the top of my .vimrc:

call plug#begin(~/.vim/plugged')

Plug ’xolox/vim-misc’
Plug ‘xolox/vim-session'
Plug ‘xolox/vim-notes'
Plug ‘davidoc/taskpaper.vim'
Plug ‘vimwiki/vimwiki'
Plug 'junegunn/vim-plug'

" Initialize plugin system
call plug#end()

If I’ve understood correctly, that should be sufficient. But when I issue PlugInstall I get “Not an editor command.”

I have MacVim with Vim 8.2.

Help appreciated. I’m a user. A writer not a coder. I developed a useful and comfortable configuration with mountains of help from these listservs. Limited ability to troubleshoot.

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA USA
eew...@comcast.net

“Look deep into nature, you will understand everything better.”

- Albert Einstein

Eric Weir

Mar 14, 2022, 11:57:06 AM3/14/22
to vim_use

David Lowry-Duda

Mar 15, 2022, 10:29:07 AM3/15/22
to vim...@googlegroups.com
> I’d like to switch from vundle to vim-plug for managing plugins. I
> copied the vim-plug script and pasted it into ~.vim/autoload. I put
> the following at the top of my .vimrc:

> If I’ve understood correctly, that should be sufficient. But when I
> issue PlugInstall I get “Not an editor command.”

I was going to note that you might get a better response by raising an
issue at the repo, but I see you've done that:
https://github.com/junegunn/vim-plug/issues/1163

That `:PlugInstall` isn't recognized means that `plug.vim` is not being
read on startup. This either means that there is something going wrong
with how you've copied `plug.vim` into `~/.vim/autoload/plug.vim`, or
that `~/.vim/autoload` isn't being sourced.

- DLD

Eric Weir

Mar 15, 2022, 6:06:23 PM3/15/22
to vim...@googlegroups.com

> On Mar 15, 2022, at 10:29 AM, David Lowry-Duda <da...@lowryduda.com> wrote:

Thank you. I thought something along that line might be the problem. The instructions say to copy the script to the autoload folder, then gives a command for automating the process.

I wasn’t sure I could use that on my system, so I simply copied the script and pasted it into the autoload folder.

Maybe I should just have tried the command. 🙂

———————————
Eric Weir
Atlanta, GA USA

“It has all been combustion.”

- W.G. Sebald

Eric Weir

Mar 17, 2022, 4:55:16 PM3/17/22
to vim_use

> On Mar 17, 2022, at 4:44 PM, Eric Weir <eric....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Instructions for installing the script say "Download plug.vim and put it in the "autoload" directory.”
>
> Then they give this for UNIX, which I take would be what a macOS/MacVim user would use:
>
> curl -fLo ~/.vim/autoload/plug.vim --create-dirs \
> https://raw.githubusercontent.com/junegunn/vim-plug/master/plug.vim

But wondering if manually copying and pasting the script, which is what I did initially, should be equally effective.

Again, thanks,

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA USA
eew...@comcast.net

“Look deep into nature, you will understand everything better.”

- Albert Einstein

Eric Weir
Decatur, GA USA
eew...@comcast.net

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone,
men would die from a great loneliness of spirit."

- Chief Seattle