Vim mindmap functionality

Julius Hamilton

Jul 5, 2021, 2:00:19 PM7/5/21
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I wish to enable mindmapping functionality inside Vim by somehow treating regions of text as programmatic objects. For example, with the help of a plug-in, a certain line of text can be recognized as the "current node". Then, if I execute a command like "create new child node", it knows to enter a new text line beneath that one. I would prefer that I cannot scroll the cursor over the document freely as I like, but that the cursor is trapped inside each line that is recognized as a node, and that I could only get out of that region by a mouse click or a special command.

Is this kind of functionality possible given Vim's plug-in support? I think workarounds approaching it will be possible.

Thanks very much,
Julius

meine

Jul 5, 2021, 5:10:30 PM7/5/21
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jul 05, 2021 at 07:59:58PM +0200, Julius Hamilton wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wish to enable mindmapping functionality inside Vim by somehow treating
> regions of text as programmatic objects.

Maybe this is something you can use:

https://www.reddit.com/r/neovim/comments/enp3h2/visualize_your_markdown_with_a_mindmap/

https://github.com/gera2ld/coc-markmap

It seems to be written for NeoVim, but you could try it in regular Vim
and see.

If you serach for 'markdown mindmap' there are more possibilities, but
you'd probably need other programs next to Vim:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=markdown+mindmap&t=ffab&atb=v262-1&ia=web

//meine

meine

Jul 5, 2021, 5:13:40 PM7/5/21
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jul 05, 2021 at 07:59:58PM +0200, Julius Hamilton wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I wish to enable mindmapping functionality inside Vim by somehow treating
> regions of text as programmatic objects.

This one seems to be more aimed at programming:

https://github.com/severin-lemaignan/vim-minimap

//meine

Chris Collision

Jul 5, 2021, 5:43:31 PM7/5/21
to vim...@googlegroups.com

Some years back on this list, I saw this, which might be close to your goal:

Julius Hamilton

Jul 20, 2021, 11:46:47 AM7/20/21
to vim_use
Hey everyone,
Thanks very much for your responses.
Coming back to this, I've found I still haven't found the solution I am looking for, as Google links to something else than I was hoping for.

Basically, I am not looking for a plug-in to visualize a graph, based on a certain indentation structure of a plaintext document being edited in Vim. The plaintext format is fine, for my purposes.

Rather, I am trying to still make that plaintext that I am editing in Vim have certain properties that make it more fundamentally like a mindmap. Most importantly, text should be bounded within certain regions. In effect, text should be contained within text boxes. You cannot write anywhere you want in the file. You can only enter text into text boxes, or whatever Vim's representation of a text box, to the same effect, is.

I would like to believe this is possible since Vim is so customizable. And I want to do it in Vim since increasingly everything I'm doing is in Vim.

So, is there any way to create a text box in Vim? I could just draw boxes with lines, but the deeper point is having Vim recognize that a box is an object or region where text is permitted, and blocking the entry of text outside of that object.

I'd really appreciate any help on this.

Thanks very much,
Julius

rwmit...@gmail.com

Jul 20, 2021, 11:52:59 AM7/20/21
to vim_use

Some one previously wanted to do something similar with forms and only being allowed to edit certain blocks.
The consensus (of those much smarter than me) was this is not feasible in how vim works.

(cue someone who will now provide a plugin to do exactly that)