Txtfmt

Julius Hamilton

Jun 24, 2021, 3:51:08 PM6/24/21
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

I am trying to get up and running with this highlighting plug in: https://github.com/bpstahlman/txtfmt/blob/master/README.md.

Its a bit complicated and I was wondering if someone could please walk me through the basic steps of installation and use.

1. I have to download it. Should I git clone it into my .vim file, or should I try to install it via a package manager like Pathogen or something?

2. Do I have to run any commands to get Vim to recognize the new package and allow me to use its own commands?

Thanks very much,
Julius

meine

Jun 25, 2021, 10:19:10 AM6/25/21
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 09:50:51PM +0200, Julius Hamilton wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I am trying to get up and running with this highlighting plug in:
> https://github.com/bpstahlman/txtfmt/blob/master/README.md.
>
> Its a bit complicated and I was wondering if someone could please walk me
> through the basic steps of installation and use.

The most crude and straightforward way of installing a plugin is just by
dropping the <plugin>.vim file in your ~/.vim/plugin/ directory. You can
do the same for the files that have to go into /ftplugin/, /syntax/,
etc. Just follow the directory structure on the Github site for the
right place on your computer.

Be sure to download the raw version of the plugin code! On the website,
click until you reach the file and see the code, click the [Raw] button,
right-click and 'save page as...' in the directory mentioned above. The
right name will be already given. Note that different files for
different sub-folders can have the same name -- work in an organized
manner!

My experience is that this works all the time.

Other possibility is using the description for installing a plugin with
the use of Patogen, Vundle or Git -- just follow instructions, and all
files will be placed in the right directories. When not (gitting them to
the wrong directory) you can relocate the files by hand as mentioned
above.

A straightforward 'how-to' you can find here:

https://danishpraka.sh/2018/06/09/vim-plugin-install.html

Good Luck!

//meine

Julius Hamilton

Jun 25, 2021, 12:10:43 PM6/25/21
to vim...@googlegroups.com

The most crude and straightforward way of installing a plugin is just by
dropping the <plugin>.vim file in your ~/.vim/plugin/ directory.

Thanks very much. This help is invaluable.

You can do the same for the files that have to go into /ftplugin/, /syntax/,
etc. Just follow the directory structure on the Github site for the
right place on your computer.

Which of these files are mandatory and which are optional? txtfmt includes:

LICENSE install_details.txt
README.md mb_patch.txt
detailed_description.txt plugin
doc release_notes.txt
ftplugin syntax
indent_patch.txt

Do I need to add all of them?

Be sure to download the raw version of the plugin code! On the website,
click until you reach the file and see the code, click the [Raw] button,
right-click and 'save page as...' in the directory mentioned above. The
right name will be already given. Note that different files for
different sub-folders can have the same name -- work in an organized
manner!

I just cloned the repository with the git clone command. Does this retrieve the raw file?

My experience is that this works all the time.

Other possibility is using the description for installing a plugin with
the use of Patogen, Vundle or Git -- just follow instructions, and all
files will be placed in the right directories.

I will try out Pathogen next.
I haven't tested out what I did above because I'm not familiar with the commands for using this plugin yet.

A straightforward 'how-to' you can find here:

https://danishpraka.sh/2018/06/09/vim-plugin-install.html

I tried this out, I don't think it worked, but I'll keep investigating.

Thanks very much,
Julius

meine

Jun 26, 2021, 5:10:00 AM6/26/21
to vim...@googlegroups.com
> Which of these files are mandatory and which are optional? txtfmt includes:
>
> LICENSE install_details.txt
> README.md mb_patch.txt
> detailed_description.txt plugin
> doc release_notes.txt
> ftplugin syntax
> indent_patch.txt
>
> Do I need to add all of them?

The plugin only needs the sub-directories and files in ftplugin and
syntax. They are essential for the plugin to work. When you already have those directories, you can put the files into there. Otherwise, you'll have to make them in your .vim directory.

License and Release notes are not essential. The Read-me and
detailed_description are for your own reference, a short how-to or
'manual'. indent_patch I don't know, seems a description of the last
changes.

> I just cloned the repository with the git clone command. Does this retrieve
> the raw file?

Yes it does

When you cloned it the right way, all files will be put in the proper
directories. I must confess, that I sometimes miss the right place, and
have to correct things by hand.

> I will try out Pathogen next.
> I haven't tested out what I did above because I'm not familiar with the
> commands for using this plugin yet.

New plugins always have to be experienced. I have very few, and often
delete them after trying.
> > A straightforward 'how-to' you can find here:

> > https://danishpraka.sh/2018/06/09/vim-plugin-install.html
>
> I tried this out, I don't think it worked, but I'll keep investigating.
There are a lot of sites that describe the installation of plugins. As
a non-techie, most of them are not clear to me. That is why I installed
the files by hand.

Kind Regards,

//meine