Help: make file in vim shows error but in vim it is very hard to scroll to file of error

Kunal Chauhan

May 2, 2020, 12:43:39 PM5/2/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
Hi Team,

I have large code , and run make all command in vim but at the end it shows some error for navigating to that error I have to scroll down all the stuff which is very painful.

Is there is a fast way to see or navigate to file which is causing error ?

--
Thanks with Regards!

Kunal Chauhan
Mob:09813614826
Mob:08860397903

Gary Johnson

May 2, 2020, 12:56:33 PM5/2/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
On 2020-05-02, Kunal Chauhan wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
> I have large code , and run make all command in vim but at the end it shows
> some error for navigating to that error I have to scroll down all the stuff
> which is very painful.
>
> Is there is a fast way to see or navigate to file which is causing error ?

If you run make all by executing the vim :make command like this:

:make all

then all the errors will be captured in a quickfix list and you can
easily navigate to each one by using the :cn and :cp commands, or by
opening the quickfix list with the :copen command, searching or
scolling through the list and hitting Enter on the desired error.
In either case, Vim with then open a buffer containing that file and
with the cursor on the line with the error.

See

:help 30.1
:help :make
:help quickfix.txt

Regards,
Gary

Kunal Chauhan

May 2, 2020, 1:01:30 PM5/2/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
I am running the make from my source directory outside.

like:   /home/kunal/code/> make all

Rajarajan Rajamani

May 2, 2020, 2:04:18 PM5/2/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
I think :make all is from inside vim

Kunal Chauhan

May 2, 2020, 2:06:20 PM5/2/20
to vim...@googlegroups.com
yes you are right . It worked from inside and I was able to compile the code.