Baited and Non Baited sites in Occupancy Analysis

Priyanka Singh

Aug 9, 2022, 9:07:17 AM8/9/22
to unmarked
Hi everyone,
I am trying to make an occupancy model with sites Baited and Unbaited. Every week a new bait was added on a particular site. However, when I tried to subset the week of baiting. It turns out that each week has 2 values; meaning that during the beginning of the week, the bait was present (taken an as a boolean expression- 1) whereas, the end of the week the bait was stolen (registered as 0). Therefore, giving two values per week. I don't know how should I proceed with analysis. How should I include Bait v/s Non Bait in the occupancy analysis. Can anyone help please?

Josh Twining

Aug 9, 2022, 9:59:59 AM8/9/22
to unma...@googlegroups.com
Hi Priyanka,

How long are your occasions? How often was it checked that bait had
been removed? (

If the bait status changes on the same time scale as the occasion
length (i.e. daily) it seems like having a two level factor (0 =
unbaited, 1 = baited) as an observation covariate should do the trick.
This would seem like the most sensible approach.

If the bait status can change at a quicker rate than the occasion
length then perhaps a proportion of time for each occasion there was
bait as an observation covariate would be appropriate (numeric cov
with values ranging from 0 - 1, so for example, if bait was deployed
at a particular site on day 1 of an occasion and removed on day 6 of a
weekly occasion, then the site was baited for 0.85 of the occasion -
this could be more precise if using continuous monitoring like with
cameras).

All the best

Josh

On Tue, Aug 9, 2022 at 9:07 AM Priyanka Singh <priyan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I am trying to make an occupancy model with sites Baited and Unbaited. Every week a new bait was added on a particular site. However, when I tried to subset the week of baiting. It turns out that each week has 2 values; meaning that during the beginning of the week, the bait was present (taken an as a boolean expression- 1) whereas, the end of the week the bait was stolen (registered as 0). Therefore, giving two values per week. I don't know how should I proceed with analysis. How should I include Bait v/s Non Bait in the occupancy analysis. Can anyone help please?
>
> --
> *** Three hierarchical modeling email lists ***
> (1) unmarked (this list): for questions specific to the R package unmarked
> (2) SCR: for design and Bayesian or non-bayesian analysis of spatial capture-recapture
> (3) HMecology: for everything else, especially material covered in the books by Royle & Dorazio (2008), Kéry & Schaub (2012), Kéry & Royle (2016, 2021) and Schaub & Kéry (2022)
> ---

Postdoctoral Research Scientist,
321 Fernow Hall,
Cornell University,