Unijoysticle 2 Commodore 16

i.de...@live.nl

Apr 1, 2021, 4:34:42 AM4/1/21
to Unijoysticle
I read the line about connecting Unijoysticle 2 at a C16.

As I did the same thing with a strange result, I like to ask Roberto if he succeeded yet.

When I connect the Unijoysticle 2 with ordinary joyadapter to the C16 it does not powerup. Even the red led is not burning. After disconnecting the Unijoysticle it does powerup again.

Is this due to the joyadapter like sukko pera states?

BR,

Iwan

Roberto Pacioni

Apr 1, 2021, 9:21:06 AM4/1/21
to Unijoysticle
It works correctly to me, add external usb power.

Roberto Pacioni

Apr 1, 2021, 12:20:06 PM4/1/21
to Unijoysticle
IMG_20210401_174941.jpg

Giorgio G. Moscardi

Apr 1, 2021, 1:13:16 PM4/1/21
to Unijoysticle
Hi Iwan,

you mean the C16 does not power up with the Unijoysticle2 connected? That is definitely odd, are you sure you are using the correct adapters? The "simple ones" (as those in Roberto's picture) should work if you power the Unijoysticle separately through USB.

G.

i.de...@live.nl

Apr 2, 2021, 2:54:38 PM4/2/21
to Unijoysticle
Thanks for you reply's. I have two different joyadapters, one fabric-piece (same as Roberto's) and one 'homemade' from Ebay. When I measure the pins, they differ. The homemade for instance has the 5vdc connected, this is not the case with the fabric-piece. Perhaps that gives the problem.

i.de...@live.nl

Apr 4, 2021, 11:46:43 AM4/4/21
to Unijoysticle
The two joyadapters differ in two lines:

Fabric adapter:
Minidin pin 5 +5VDC > DB9 NC
Minidin pin 7 GND     > DB9 pin 7 +5VDC

Homebrew adapter
Minidin pin 5 +5VDC > DB9 pin 7 +5VDC
Minidin pin 7 GND > DB9 NC

i.de...@live.nl

Apr 22, 2021, 5:14:13 PM4/22/21
to Unijoysticle
It keeps odd: both joyadapters are identically now, with the Fabric adapter configuration. Now the C16 starts, but jumps immediately in a monitor-break. So still not a functioning Unijoysticle 2 on the C16. I tried a second Unijoysticle 2 and another C16 with the same result.

Not relevant I suppose, my C16 is expanded with 64kb (new memory IC's and multiplexer lines cut)

I wonder how minidin pin 5 en 7 are connected with the DB9 pins in your joyadapters. Is pin 7 minidin also connected on pin 7 DB9 or is it NC like pin 5 minidin?

i.de...@live.nl

Apr 25, 2021, 3:55:30 PM4/25/21
to Unijoysticle
OK, I discovered the problem/solution. It was a bit of a jigsaw. The thing is: there are different variants of the joyadapter.
And there is an error in the text of mr. Levente, who gives a design of the Joyadapter.

My off fabric Joyadapter did not work together with a bought, homebrew joyadapter.

If you want the Unijoysticle 2 with DB9 connectors to work on a C16/+4 together with Joyadapters, you have to be sure that the adapter has:

Pin 5 (+5VDC) minidin NC
Pin 7 (GND) minidin NC
USB external PSU

The error in the text of Mr. Levente is the statement that pin 7 minidin must be connected to pin 8 DB9, but: pin 8 (Minidin, data/select) must be connected with pin 8 (DB9, GND). I already correspond wit Mr. Levente, he confirmed the error in the text. I hope he wil adjust the text, while it could be pretty destructive for the TED latch.

However, there is a brandnew C16/+4 adapter been developed, with direct Minidin connection on C16/+4 and more safe electronics.

Ricardo Quesada

Apr 25, 2021, 4:14:30 PM4/25/21
to i.de...@live.nl, Unijoysticle
Good to know.
Would you mind sending a small pull-request to this doc:
https://gitlab.com/ricardoquesada/unijoysticle2/-/blob/master/docs/user_guide.md#supported-computers
that explains how to connect it to a C16 / Plus/4 ? Thanks!