Spacer PCB - Main PCB Side

Jay Jaeger

Aug 6, 2022, 2:43:28 PM8/6/22
to UniBone
Is there a reason not to just fit headers through the holes in the main PCB and the spacer PCB, solder them in place, and then cut off and protrusions on both sides?  Would seem to be more reliable than the flow-through method on the web page?

JRJ

Lee Adamson

Aug 6, 2022, 5:10:14 PM8/6/22
to UniBone
That's how I assembled mine, pretty much.

Joan Touzet

Aug 6, 2022, 8:03:33 PM8/6/22
to UniBone
In designing the QBone for kit assembly, we came up with this approach (includes assembly video):

https://decromancer.ca/posts/qbone/interposer-boards/

You don't need to cut off the extra length on the component side; in fact, these make convenient test points for Dupont-style connectors when debugging.

-Joan @ DECromancer

Steven Hirsch

Aug 6, 2022, 9:24:55 PM8/6/22
to Jay Jaeger, UniBone
That's precisely what I did when building mine.

Joerg Hoppe

Aug 7, 2022, 1:04:35 AM8/7/22
to uni...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jay,
If you use header pins, they protrude a bit and add a millimeter or so
to the overall thickness.

I didn't like that!

Joerg

Peter Schranz

Aug 7, 2022, 4:08:43 AM8/7/22
to UniBone
I see that there is some tension on the main board (perhaps only my impression looking at the video), wouldn't it be more favourable to build one single board. Potentially with some openings between the two edges to allow access or space for connects, air and components?

Peter

Joerg Hoppe

Aug 7, 2022, 7:12:11 AM8/7/22
to uni...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter and all,

yes, the U-shaped PCB is mechanically a bit unstable.
It gets stabilized when the BeagleBone is plugged onto it.

I simply could not find another solution to fit UniBone/QBone into the
vertical space of one DEC-slot.

If you drop this requirement, other solutions are possible.
I can give you the KiCad project to build your own.

kind regards,
Joerg

Peter Schranz

Aug 7, 2022, 12:27:11 PM8/7/22
to UniBone
Hi Joerg and all,

Sorry to cause a misunderstanding. I was referring to the imposer board to be built as one single board with openings and not as two stripes. I did not want to change the qbone PCB. It seems due to the force and perhaps not perfectly aligend stripes when soldering them to the Qbone, the two 2 pinheaders on the BBB put some stress to the qbone PCB. So by creating a single board type imposer board you could solder this board to the qbone avoiding all stress and then the force caused connecting the two BBB IDE headers would be fully absorbed by the combo imposer. For me it is completely clear why the qbone PCB was designed as it is to avoid loosing a slot in the Q-Bus backplane.

Regards

Peter

Jay Jaeger

Aug 7, 2022, 1:48:10 PM8/7/22
to uni...@googlegroups.com
I think I might try to solder the two ends, make sure they are flat and flush, then pre-snip all the others flush with the reducer board before soldering, then if necessary, snip and resolder the ends.  This will still provide easier construction than the original, and still enhance the strength, and protrude no more than the ones on the BB side of the reducers.

JRJ

Lee Adamson

Aug 7, 2022, 4:15:41 PM8/7/22
to UniBone
On Sunday, August 7, 2022 at 1:04:35 AM UTC-4 ioerg...@gmail.com wrote:
If you use header pins, they protrude a bit and add a millimeter or so
to the overall thickness.

I didn't like that!

 I flush-cut mine on the back so they didn't stick up.

Steven Hirsch

Aug 7, 2022, 6:37:07 PM8/7/22
to Lee Adamson, UniBone
Yeah, maybe I'm misunderstanding something. I didn't use the header body
for anything beyond holding alignment while soldering. Clipped pins on
both sides level with the solder - there's no interference with adjacent
boards (although the H11 is a bit of a challenge with its "upside down"
card cage orientation).