Didn't we have a member in Wisconsin...

Bob Jersey

Oct 23, 2019, 11:33:37 AM10/23/19
to TVorNotTV
...who worked at a station there? (WISC)

That station is one of several whose OTA signal will be out of commission (perhaps till early December) thanks to weather delays to its repack transition-related tower renovation.

Doug Eastick

Oct 23, 2019, 6:38:05 PM10/23/19
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
You might be thinking of Ben Scripps who was/is at a CBS Michigan station.

Bob Jersey

Oct 23, 2019, 7:03:00 PM10/23/19
to TVorNotTV

Doug Eastick, to moi, today (10/23):
You might be thinking of Ben Scripps who was/is at a CBS Michigan station.

No, a different name popped into my head after I thought about it a bit.

This guy's name was Jeff Robbins. Here's a north-of-10-yr-old article about a book he'd just released chronicling "SCTV":

In 2014 he moved on to become director of Sun Prairie Media Center, a nonprofit producing TV and radio programming in his hometown.

(I'll bet that when the Tribune TV stations division broke up, Mr Scripps got at least a little ribbing from colleagues... :-D)

Ben Scripps

Oct 24, 2019, 10:20:55 AM10/24/19
to 'Bob Jersey' via TVorNotTV
On Oct 23, 2019, at 7:03 PM, 'Bob Jersey' via TVorNotTV <tvor...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> (I'll bet that when the Tribune TV stations division broke up, Mr Scripps got at least a little ribbing from colleagues... :-D)

No more than all the other days…:-) (The station (WXMI) where I did my internship in college is one of the former Trib stations now owned by “the other Scripps”, which is, at least as far as I’ve been told, no relation.)

Back to the original question, we (WWTV/WFQX) did a repack switchover last Friday (channel 21, with a PSIP of channel 45, simulcasting channel 32—try explaining that to a confused viewer). We had some delays over the summer with coordinating tower crews and good weather, but we fortunately weren’t off the air for any longer than necessary to do the work.

Tom Wolper

Oct 24, 2019, 1:39:11 PM10/24/19
to TV or not TV
On Thu, Oct 24, 2019 at 10:20 AM Ben Scripps <b...@benscripps.com> wrote:

No more than all the other days…:-)  (The station (WXMI) where I did my internship in college is one of the former Trib stations now owned by “the other Scripps”, which is, at least as far as I’ve been told, no relation.)

Back to the original question, we (WWTV/WFQX) did a repack switchover last Friday (channel 21, with a PSIP of channel 45, simulcasting channel 32—try explaining that to a confused viewer).  We had some delays over the summer with coordinating tower crews and good weather, but we fortunately weren’t off the air for any longer than necessary to do the work.

Is there something going on nationally, like a new standard introduced? I get my TV over the air and one local station (WTAE in Pittsburgh) has been off the air for 11 days now. I called the station last week and was told "they're working on the transmitter and the signal should be back by the end of the week." I googled the station and searched on Reddit and there was no notice or conversation about the shutdown. Now I see this is going on in other cities.

John Edwards

Oct 24, 2019, 2:58:37 PM10/24/19
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
WCAX, the CBS affiliate in Burlington, Vt., was on and on this morning about how they were turning on their new transmitter at 9 a.m. today, which required OTA viewers to re-scan their channels. They mentioned that it had to do with the FCC giving some frequencies to cellular phone networks. I'm not sure if that's the case nationally or not.

As of around 11 a.m. today, Videotron (my cable provider, who I assume takes WCAX over the air) still had a "technical difficulties" page up where the channel was supposed to be.

John

--
John Edwards
"You can insure against the weather, but you can't insure against incompetence, can you?" - Phil Tufnell

Bob Jersey

Oct 24, 2019, 5:24:39 PM10/24/19
to TVorNotTV

John Edwards, to Tom Wolper and Ben Scripps, in part, today (10/24):
WCAX, the CBS affiliate in Burlington, Vt., was on and on this morning about how they were turning on their new transmitter at 9 a.m. today, which required OTA viewers to re-scan their channels. They mentioned that it had to do with the FCC giving some frequencies to cellular phone networks. I'm not sure if that's the case nationally or not.

That was the ultimate goal of this project, which ISTR also involved some Canadian frequencies, OTA and cellular.  B

Tom Wolper

Oct 24, 2019, 5:32:10 PM10/24/19
to TV or not TV
In the case of WTAE the channel number change that required a rescan was in August of last year. So whatever transmitter work is going on now is unrelated.

Brad Beam

Oct 24, 2019, 7:27:13 PM10/24/19
to tvor...@googlegroups.com

From: tvor...@googlegroups.com [mailto:tvor...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of John Edwards

>WCAX, the CBS affiliate in Burlington, Vt., was on and on this morning about how they were turning on their new transmitter at 9 a.m. today, which required OTA viewers to re-scan their channels. They mentioned that it had to do with the FCC giving some frequencies to cellular phone networks. I'm not sure if that's the case nationally or not.

The spectrum reallocation is being done in stages; testing for Phase 7 started last week. (Schedule included in the article below.)

https://www.commlawcenter.com/2017/04/fcc-announces-auction-results-and-sets-tv-repack-deadlines.html

_   _

|_>|_>  Brad Beam- Belle WV

|_>|_>  http://www.facebook.com/74bmw

Doug Eastick

Oct 24, 2019, 9:58:52 PM10/24/19
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
I wish my CBS channel was still WWTV from Alpena, etc.  Sadly our cable carrier here gives me the Detroit feed (as of 5-10) years ago.

#oldman #harkingBackToTheOldDays

Ben Scripps

Oct 25, 2019, 10:16:20 AM10/25/19
to 'Bob Jersey' via TVorNotTV
On Oct 24, 2019, at 9:58 PM, Doug Eastick <eas...@mcd.on.ca> wrote:

> I wish my CBS channel was still WWTV from Alpena, etc. Sadly our cable carrier here gives me the Detroit feed (as of 5-10) years ago.
>
> #oldman #harkingBackToTheOldDays

Just to clarify our reputation, we’re not Alpena. Alpena used to have the dubious distinction of being the smallest television market in the country, and they do have a CBS affiliate, WBKB, known by every broadcaster in the state of Michigan as “We Barely Know Broadcasting”. (I first heard that joke when I was in *high school*, just starting to learn about television.) With the exception of Alpena, we’re everything north of Mt. Pleasant (fire up Chips!) and the eastern third of the U.P., roughly 35 counties’ worth of coverage area. Made for some long days back when I was a photog and had to drive that stupid live truck around.

Kevin M.

Oct 25, 2019, 10:49:31 AM10/25/19
to tvor...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 7:16 AM Ben Scripps <b...@benscripps.com> wrote:
On Oct 24, 2019, at 9:58 PM, Doug Eastick <eas...@mcd.on.ca> wrote:

> I wish my CBS channel was still WWTV from Alpena, etc.  Sadly our cable carrier here gives me the Detroit feed (as of 5-10) years ago.
>
> #oldman #harkingBackToTheOldDays

Just to clarify our reputation, we’re not Alpena.  Alpena used to have the dubious distinction of being the smallest television market in the country, and they do have a CBS affiliate, WBKB, known by every broadcaster in the state of Michigan as “We Barely Know Broadcasting”.  (I first heard that joke when I was in *high school*, just starting to learn about television.)

CNBC’s secret motto when I was an intern there was “Best Damn College Television Station In The State”

With the exception of Alpena, we’re everything north of Mt. Pleasant (fire up Chips!) and the eastern third of the U.P., roughly 35 counties’ worth of coverage area.  Made for some long days back when I was a photog and had to drive that stupid live truck around.

Kevin M. (RPCV)