Neso retirement

Cédric Krier

Jun 2, 2016, 5:40:05 PM6/2/16
to Tryton
Hi,

I would like to propose to stop publishing neso.
Some reasons are:

- It always fails to run on each major release (ex: see issue5529)
because nobody test it.

- I think it is almost not used because nobody complains about it
not working on 4.0

- It became a kind of horrible hack because it monkey patch tryton
and it needs to bundle all the module dependencies in py2exe.

- It doesn't work for MacOS X for a long period.

- It kind of blocks isue5384.

- We do not have an easy way to migrate from neso to a standard
PostgreSQL setup.

Also historically, we made neso as a simple way to demonstrate Tryton.
At this time we did not have a demo server. But now, this mission is not
really achieved because of all the problems it has.
Now, we have many alternatives to demonstrate (ex: demo.tryton.org, the
free hosting like sisalp.fr, etc.) and it is even easier thanks to sao.

So what do you think?

https://bugs.tryton.org/issue5529
https://bugs.tryton.org/issue5384

--
Cédric Krier - B2CK SPRL
Email/Jabber: cedric...@b2ck.com

Maxime Richez

Jun 3, 2016, 3:50:22 AM6/3/16
to tryton
Never tried Neso, so not a problem for me.
And as an alternative you could also use Docker...

Udo Spallek

Jun 3, 2016, 3:52:39 AM6/3/16
to try...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thu, 2 Jun 2016 23:39:15 +0200
Cédric Krier <cedric...@b2ck.com>:
>I would like to propose to stop publishing neso.
>Some reasons are:
>
> - It always fails to run on each major release (ex: see issue5529)
> because nobody test it.
>
> - I think it is almost not used because nobody complains about it
> not working on 4.0
>
> - It became a kind of horrible hack because it monkey patch tryton
> and it needs to bundle all the module dependencies in py2exe.
>
> - It doesn't work for MacOS X for a long period.
>
> - It kind of blocks isue5384.
>
> - We do not have an easy way to migrate from neso to a standard
> PostgreSQL setup.
>
>Also historically, we made neso as a simple way to demonstrate Tryton.
>At this time we did not have a demo server. But now, this mission is
>not really achieved because of all the problems it has.
>Now, we have many alternatives to demonstrate (ex: demo.tryton.org, the
>free hosting like sisalp.fr, etc.) and it is even easier thanks to sao.
>
>So what do you think?

Neso, rest in peace.
We do not use it since a long time and we do not have a use case for it.

Regards
Udo Spallek
--
_____________________________
virtual things

Windeckstr. 77
81375 München
Tel: +49 (89) 710 481 55
Fax: +49 (89) 710 481 56

in...@virtual-things.biz
http://www.virtual-things.biz

Thierry Bruyere

Jun 3, 2016, 3:53:27 AM6/3/16
to tryton
Hello,

Personally I just discovered the existence of nesy by this message :)
I've never had need to test Tryton with Neso

There are also docker to test a local install easily.

Thierry Bruyere

Ralf Peschke

Jun 3, 2016, 4:59:58 AM6/3/16
to try...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I never used it and don't will miss it.

Best regards

Ralf Peschke

Armand Mpassy-Nzoumba

Jun 3, 2016, 5:25:04 AM6/3/16
to try...@googlegroups.com

> I would like to propose to stop publishing neso.

Hi Cedric and all,

I understand that keeping Neso add unnecessary workload. However for demonstration purposes it is still the perfect tool in our environment. I am talking about countries in Africa where Internet connectivity is still very expensive and where a number of people are still using old Windows based PCs.
Keeping Neso will help adopting Tryton.
The Tryton project is a gift to people in this countries. We are working towards extending the Tryton communities here. Tryton and other FOSS will enable organisations to be managed properly in a cost effective manner. And one of the main reason of under-development is the mis-management of organisations like hospitals, administrations, schools, etc. Up to now, only very expensive software were available. This explained the very limited adoption of IT tools Africa.

Kind regards,

Armand

Cédric Krier

Jun 3, 2016, 5:35:03 AM6/3/16
to try...@googlegroups.com
On 2016-06-03 10:14, Armand Mpassy-Nzoumba wrote:

> > I would like to propose to stop publishing neso.
> >

> Hi Cedric and all,
>
> I understand that keeping Neso add unnecessary workload. However for demonstration purposes it is still the perfect tool in our environment. I am talking about countries in Africa where Internet connectivity is still very expensive and where a number of people are still using old Windows based PCs.
> Keeping Neso will help adopting Tryton.

And what about docker images as other suggested?

Axel Braun

Jun 3, 2016, 6:18:42 AM6/3/16
to try...@googlegroups.com

> Gesendet: Freitag, 03. Juni 2016 um 11:14 Uhr
> Von: "Armand Mpassy-Nzoumba" <armand...@gmail.com>
> An: try...@googlegroups.com
> Betreff: Re: [tryton] Neso retirement

> > I would like to propose to stop publishing neso.

+1

> I understand that keeping Neso add unnecessary workload. However for demonstration purposes it is still the perfect tool in our environment. I am talking about countries in Africa where Internet connectivity is still very expensive and where a number of people are still using old Windows based PCs.
> Keeping Neso will help adopting Tryton.
> The Tryton project is a gift to people in this countries. We are working towards extending the Tryton communities here. Tryton and other FOSS will enable organisations to be managed properly in a cost effective manner. And one of the main reason of under-development is the mis-management of organisations like hospitals, administrations, schools, etc. Up to now, only very expensive software were available. This explained the very limited adoption of IT tools Africa.

There are better tools to show the capabilities of Tryton than Neso (Docker, Live-CD, hosted solution - OK, this requires network)

Best,
Axel

Armand Mpassy-Nzoumba

Jun 3, 2016, 6:19:31 AM6/3/16
to try...@googlegroups.com

> And what about docker images as other suggested?

Yes, I may be a good alternative. We should give it a try.

Regards
Armand

Albert Cervera i Areny

Jun 3, 2016, 10:52:30 AM6/3/16
to try...@googlegroups.com
> Hi,
>
> I would like to propose to stop publishing neso.
> Some reasons are:
>
> - It always fails to run on each major release (ex: see issue5529)
> because nobody test it.
>
> - I think it is almost not used because nobody complains about it
> not working on 4.0
>
> - It became a kind of horrible hack because it monkey patch tryton
> and it needs to bundle all the module dependencies in py2exe.
>
> - It doesn't work for MacOS X for a long period.
>
> - It kind of blocks isue5384.
>
> - We do not have an easy way to migrate from neso to a standard
> PostgreSQL setup.
>
> Also historically, we made neso as a simple way to demonstrate Tryton.
> At this time we did not have a demo server. But now, this mission is not
> really achieved because of all the problems it has.
> Now, we have many alternatives to demonstrate (ex: demo.tryton.org, the
> free hosting like sisalp.fr, etc.) and it is even easier thanks to sao.
>
> So what do you think?

I agree on removing it too. Given that many others suggested docker, I
think we could work on having an official docker image [1] and a
docker-compose YAML for use the docker image with the official
PostgreSQL docker image [2].

Apart from a Dockerfile and docker-compose.yml, we (at NaN-tic) have a
Vagrantfile for creating a development environment (using our own
tools) which also installs PostgreSQL and required debian packages in
a VirtualBox VM, in case somebody is interested in creating something
that that could be published on tryton.org.

[1] https://docs.docker.com/docker-hub/official_repos/
[2] https://hub.docker.com/_/postgres/

> https://bugs.tryton.org/issue5529
> https://bugs.tryton.org/issue5384