Add backlinks to every tiddler

Omit

Oct 26, 2014, 10:17:52 AM10/26/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I pretty much like the default configuration of the new versions of TiddlyWiki 5.1, but there is one thing that I would like to customize: is it possible to automatically add backlinks to every new tiddler I create? This could be achieved, for example, by automatically adding the following code at the end of every tiddler:

<<list-links "[backlinks[]]">>

Bonus question: how to make the above list-links to be no a <ul> object, but rather a list of links separated by commas on a single line?

Thanks in advance for your help!

PMario

Oct 26, 2014, 11:45:23 AM10/26/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Omit,

If you open the tiddler (i)nfo slider and select the "References" tab you get what you want.

The code can be found here: http://tiddlywiki.com/#%24%3A%2Fcore%2Fui%2FTiddlerInfo%2FReferences
The template is here: $:/core/ui/ListItemTemplate

If you want to create your own global macro crate a tiddler eg: myReferences and tagg it: $:/tags/Macro
add this code:

\define myReferences()
<$list filter="[all[current]backlinks[]sort[title]]" emptyMessage=<<lingo TiddlerInfo/References/Empty>> ><$link to={{!!title}}><$view field="title"/>, </$link></$list>
\end

The macro can be called with: <<myReferences>>

-------------

If you want to have a footer in every tiddler create a tiddler eg: myFooter and tag it: $:/tags/ViewTemplate
add this code:

<hr>
<$list filter="[all[current]backlinks[]sort[title]]" emptyMessage=<<lingo TiddlerInfo/References/Empty>> ><$link to={{!!title}}><$view field="title"/>, </$link></$list>

For me this significantly slows down the test TW. Full download from tiddlywiki.com. .. But I'm not sure yet.

have fun!
mario

Omit

Oct 26, 2014, 1:26:57 PM10/26/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

If you open the tiddler (i)nfo slider and select the "References" tab you get what you want.

OK, I didn't notice this before (I'm new). Thanks for the macros solutions. For now I'll stick to an unmodified version of the wiki, since the "References tab" is enough for me. I'm quite concerned by portability issues so I prefer to modify the wiki as little as possible and only add content.

Thanks for your help!

PMario

Oct 26, 2014, 1:59:55 PM10/26/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On Sunday, October 26, 2014 6:26:57 PM UTC+1, Omit wrote:
If you open the tiddler (i)nfo slider and select the "References" tab you get what you want.

OK, I didn't notice this before (I'm new).

I wasn't sure. So I did mention it.

Thanks for the macros solutions. For now I'll stick to an unmodified version of the wiki, since the "References tab" is enough for me.

These macro definitions don't modify the wiki. They are content :)
TW5 allows you to add stuff like this by tagging them with some system tags but the "placeholders" are already there in the Templates.

I'm quite concerned by portability issues so I prefer to modify the wiki as little as possible and only add content.

The mechanisms I posted should be compatible. So no problem with updating! It even would switch the language for the "empty" message.

Thanks for your help!

You are welcome!

-mario

PMario

Oct 26, 2014, 2:03:59 PM10/26/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
On Sunday, October 26, 2014 4:45:23 PM UTC+1, PMario wrote:
For me this significantly slows down the test TW. Full download from tiddlywiki.com. .. But I'm not sure yet.

The slow down was an artefact of a previous test. So my fault :)
-m

Danielo Rodríguez

Oct 26, 2014, 2:04:42 PM10/26/14
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I have a different system. I have a view template that shows "related" Tiddlers with the current one. Related tiddlers is a field with a list of related tiddlers. I recently added a new button that creates a new tiddler with the related field prepopulated with the title of the current tiddler.

But that works for me, maybe it does not for you.

Peter Merel

Aug 9, 2015, 3:47:11 AM8/9/15
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mario,

I like this but I'm thinking of something a bit simpler. Right now when I turn on the "title as a link" it's pretty worthless - the only effect of clicking is to nudge the focus in the story stream. What I want is for clicking the title link to open the References tab. I see the title as the obvious place to click to get backlinks - that's how it used to work on c2 anyway.

So ... is there an easy way to tweak your code here to do this? Really it seems like it ought to be easy to adorn the link in the title ViewTemplate with some kind of transclusion magic but I'm not certain that's sensible ...

Thanks for your help!

Pete.

Felix Küppers

Aug 9, 2015, 4:47:08 AM8/9/15
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Pete,

If you use TiddlyMap it can display you the backlinks in the graph (live view).

Moreover, clicking on the TiddlyMap toolbar button, it also at the moment shows you all kind of backconnections (e.g. tagged by, listed in,...) but I did not include backlinks. For the next version of tiddlymap (not sure when it is released), the toolbar button will also show links and backlinks (see screenshot).

Right now when I turn on the "title as a link" it's pretty worthless

Well I also use this feature a lot to drag n drop titles into other tiddlers when not being in the sidebar's "open tab"..

-Felix

Peter Merel

Aug 9, 2015, 5:01:01 AM8/9/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Felix,

I've been meaning to compliment you on TiddlyMap - it is pure awesomeness! I'm using the live view on the site I'm building at xscale.wiki and expect to do a lot of process diagramming with it in tiddlers. Given that most of the XSCALE process involves composites of feedback loops, I can't think of a better tool for such a purpose.

Now while I like the idea that TM can display the backlinks, that would require the user to shift their gaze from the story stream to the map. And since I'm using the map for process context, I think the reader would be confused that way.

I should have said that the existing title-as-link is just worthless to me - I have no doubt whatsoever that every feature in TW has utility, but I'm just trying to bend the thing to my will. And I don't have much literacy in JS or TW5 so in general I'm only an egg.

While I have your attention, however, I have a couple of TM questions ...

* I wonder whether it's possible for a tiddler that has an embedded map to display it in the sidebar rather than inline? In other words, for focusing on a tiddler to cause the sidebar to change to its embedded view?
* Could we have a setting for the half-screen mode that hides the editing tools? I'm asking because the way I'm setting up at the moment only people who use github will be able to save, where the majority of users will only be navigating around on the public site - ?

Cheers!
Pete.

Felix Küppers

Aug 9, 2015, 9:08:52 AM8/9/15
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Pete,

I've been meaning to compliment you on TiddlyMap - it is pure awesomeness!

Much thanks for telling me, it's really nice to hear that! :)

I'm using the live view on the site I'm building at xscale.wiki and expect to do a lot of process diagramming with it in tiddlers. Given that most of the XSCALE process involves composites of feedback loops, I can't think of a better tool for such a purpose.

Thanks for sharing your use case. It is always valuable for me to get some feedback on how TiddlyMap is used. Personally, I am acquainted with Scrum and Kanban ("1st generation") but never came into touch with other agile strategies. In case of drawing process diagramss, the next release of TiddlyMap will feature the design of nodes, and add a GUI for styling edges and nodes. But this release is not done yet as I have to carefully plan the architecture, especially considering the usability.

Now while I like the idea that TM can display the backlinks, that would require the user to shift their gaze from the story stream to the map.

Well, actually no :) The dropdown button, (see attached screenshot in the last post) is in the tiddler's toolbar in the story river (stream) and is independent of the maps. So the user does not have to leave the stream/river.

I should have said that the existing title-as-link is just worthless to me - I have no doubt whatsoever that every feature in TW has utility, but I'm just trying to bend the thing to my will.

Yes, I understand

While I have your attention, however, I have a couple of TM questions ...

* I wonder whether it's possible for a tiddler that has an embedded map to display it in the sidebar rather than inline? In other words, for focusing on a tiddler to cause the sidebar to change to its embedded view?

Hmm, so you are talking about a higher form of "live view" here right? Not sure if I understand this correctly but you want
  1. a tab in the sidebar (or maybe the "map" tab) that,
  2. when a tiddler is
    • opened
    • or scrolled into view,
  3. displays a certain view (map) that was manually created in advance?

Well, I could add a tiddler field

tmap.open-view
that can be set to a view title so when the tiddler is opened or navigated to, the map is opened...

...but you can also achieve this very easily with existing means, here you go:

  1. Create a new tiddler and tag it with "$:/tags/SideBar" so it appears in the sidebar.
  2. Create a list that iterates over all views
  3. Put every map you want to link to inside a list widget and use a list filter that checks for the focussed tiddler (HotZone Plugin) and the last tiddler in the history (field in $:/HistoryList); use the "$:/temp/tmap/currentTiddler" for that
  4. if a view exists with the name of your tiddler that is currently displayed, display that view, otherwise, display a text.

I think I should add this code to a "Useful TiddlyMap code snippets" section in the docs...

Well, here is the code (see also screenshot):

\define showNoMatchMessage()

Sorry, no Diagram (Map/View) for this tiddler...
\end

\define getMatchingView()
  $
(allViewsFilter)$ +[field:title{$:/temp/tmap/currentTiddler}]
\end

<!-- build a filter that selects a view that matches the currently focussed tiddler -->
<$vars allViewsFilter=<<tmap "option" "selector.allViewsByLabel">>>

<!-- if a match exists, display the view, otherwise show the empty message -->
<$list filter=<<getMatchingView>> emptyMessage=<<showNoMatchMessage>> variable="match">

<!-- the actual map -->
<$tiddlymap view=<<match>>></$tiddlymap>

</$list>

</
$vars>

Hope this is what you wanted...

* Could we have a setting for the half-screen mode that hides the editing tools? I'm asking because the way I'm setting up at the moment only people who use github will be able to save, where the majority of users will only be navigating around on the public site - ?
You could use css to hide the editing tools by using "display: none" e.g on ".tmap-menu-bar" and "vis-manipulation".

But I should add an option to have tiddlymap displayed in "no edit mode" where a user can still select views. I will put that on my list.

Hope I could help you
-Felix

Peter Merel

Aug 9, 2015, 12:26:52 PM8/9/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Felix,

Thanks for the prompt response! Replies inline.

Thanks for sharing your use case. It is always valuable for me to get some feedback on how TiddlyMap is used. Personally, I am acquainted with Scrum and Kanban ("1st generation") but never came into touch with other agile strategies. In case of drawing process diagramss, the next release of TiddlyMap will feature the design of nodes, and add a GUI for styling edges and nodes. But this release is not done yet as I have to carefully plan the architecture, especially considering the usability.

No worries at all. I don't think TM should be confused with powerpoint. To give an example of what I don't imagine TM doing, here's my curliest big-picture diagram. I expect this kind of thing to remain in the realm of externalimages. When time permits I'm thinking it should become an imagemap that links to the appropriate tiddlers. Each of them would have a TM that illustrates its process. I haven't yet figured out the intricacies of imagemaps but I know gimp can generate 'em.

Now while I like the idea that TM can display the backlinks, that would require the user to shift their gaze from the story stream to the map.

Well, actually no :) The dropdown button, (see attached screenshot in the last post) is in the tiddler's toolbar in the story river (stream) and is independent of the maps. So the user does not have to leave the stream/river.

Ah, my fault for not looking at it properly. I think there I'm worried about violating the principle-of-least-surprise - I think overloading the TM button will make users confused about its purpose. Also for me in xscale.wiki, because it's for a broad audience who mostly won't have skill/interest to set up the node server and grok github as a collaborative editing method, I don't think I'd expose the per-tiddler TM button anyway. Exposing the info pane set to References would also enable them to get at the other info-pane functionality which is presently a bit inobvious. Speaking purely for my own use-case.

Hmm, so you are talking about a higher form of "live view" here right? Not sure if I understand this correctly but you want
  1. a tab in the sidebar (or maybe the "map" tab) that,
  2. when a tiddler is
    • opened
    • or scrolled into view,
  3. displays a certain view (map) that was manually created in advance?

Well, I could add a tiddler field

tmap.open-view
that can be set to a view title so when the tiddler is opened or navigated to, the map is opened...

Yes, that's it exactly. That way the live-view becomes the default place for people to see concepts illustrated, rather than trying to figure out why they're being asked to see the live view on the right and the embedded view on the left. The perception of complexity tends to turn people off. See my big picture above for an example of that!

...but you can also achieve this very easily with existing means, here you go:

  1. Create a new tiddler and tag it with "$:/tags/SideBar" so it appears in the sidebar.
  2. Create a list that iterates over all views
  3. Put every map you want to link to inside a list widget and use a list filter that checks for the focussed tiddler (HotZone Plugin) and the last tiddler in the history (field in $:/HistoryList); use the "$:/temp/tmap/currentTiddler" for that
  4. if a view exists with the name of your tiddler that is currently displayed, display that view, otherwise, display a text.

I think I should add this code to a "Useful TiddlyMap code snippets" section in the docs...

Ah, but then I'll have to remember to edit things in multiple spots to achieve this. If I have no alternative I guess I will, but your tmap.open-view tiddler field seems a far tidier solution to me.

* Could we have a setting for the half-screen mode that hides the editing tools? I'm asking because the way I'm setting up at the moment only people who use github will be able to save, where the majority of users will only be navigating around on the public site - ?
You could use css to hide the editing tools by using "display: none" e.g on ".tmap-menu-bar" and "vis-manipulation".
But I should add an option to have tiddlymap displayed in "no edit mode" where a user can still select views. I will put that on my list.

I could do the css ... if my css-fu and tw-fu was a bit stronger. As getting my head around it takes me away from editing content, which is my focus at the moment, I'll probably limp along and wait for you. In general while I'm technically minded and will eventually come up to speed, I guess the more one relies on users doing CSS tricks the less users one has.

But then in general I see the future of TW and TM as a world where editors run local node servers and share their work via github, exposing the result via github pages. To me this is such an appealing way to federate wikis and edits on wikis I wouldn't go near tiddlyspace/gollum. But then again I'm probably just being kinky ...

Cheers!
Pete.

PMario

Aug 9, 2015, 1:58:51 PM8/9/15
to TiddlyWiki
On Sunday, August 9, 2015 at 9:47:11 AM UTC+2, Peter Merel wrote:
I like this but I'm thinking of something a bit simpler. Right now when I turn on the "title as a link" it's pretty worthless - the only effect of clicking is to nudge the focus in the story stream.

"pretty worthless" ... ouch, that hurts. We all want to create great stuff. I personally prefer a more diplomatic: "I like the feature, but there's room for improvements ... to fit my usecase", or something similar ;)

What I want is for clicking the title link to open the References tab. I see the title as the obvious place to click to get backlinks - that's how it used to work on c2 anyway.

I did have a look at the changes added to the ViewTemplate.

I think, there are 3 possibilities to get close to your desired behaviour.

1) a simple and fast work around ... imo close, but not exactly what you want.
 - open the TW control panel: http://tiddlywiki.com/#%24%3A%2FControlPanel
 - select: Appearence: Toolbars: ViewToolbar
 - check: info – Show information for this tiddler    to make the info panel button visible for every tiddler
 - tell your users, that the can get the "backlinks" if they select the "info-button" and the "Reference" tab.

So ... is there an easy way to tweak your code here to do this? Really it seems like it ought to be easy to adorn the link in the title ViewTemplate with some kind of transclusion magic but I'm not certain that's sensible ...

2) I think there is a way, to create an additional button, that can create the exact behaviour. ... but

The problem here is, that TW stores the "info panel" open/closed state and the "info tab selection" in temporary tiddlers.
Those tiddler names use a random number, to make them unique :/
So to create a button, that opens the info panel and preselects the Reference tab, is a bit more complicated, since we need to remove the "randomness". But we still need unique names, otherwise all open tiddlers will open/close the info panel ....

So I don't have a fast solution, for the exact behaviour. I'd create a new toolbar button, because it is independent from the ViewTemplates. ... but
I think modifying the Templates is still needed, to tackle the above mentioned problems. ...

3) Create a new toolbar button, that can open a dropdown that lists the references / backlinks
The dropdown could use the macros from the prior posts.

IMO no 3 should be relatively simple to implement and shouldn't interfere with the templates.

No 2 is the version I personally prefer, since I try to remove all dropdowns and modals from my own themes.

As I wrote, no fast solution and I have to think about no 3 a bit more, so others my jump in too :)

have fun!
mario

Peter Merel

Aug 9, 2015, 5:07:43 PM8/9/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mario,

On 10 Aug 2015, at 3:58 am, PMario <pmar...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sunday, August 9, 2015 at 9:47:11 AM UTC+2, Peter Merel wrote:
I like this but I'm thinking of something a bit simpler. Right now when I turn on the "title as a link" it's pretty worthless - the only effect of clicking is to nudge the focus in the story stream.

"pretty worthless" ... ouch, that hurts. We all want to create great stuff. I personally prefer a more diplomatic: "I like the feature, but there's room for improvements ... to fit my usecase", or something similar ;)

I absolutely agree with you, many regrets for my clumsy wording. As Felix noted, this feature has great utility for his use. I'm really just seeking to extend it.

What I want is for clicking the title link to open the References tab. I see the title as the obvious place to click to get backlinks - that's how it used to work on c2 anyway.
 - check: info – Show information for this tiddler    to make the info panel button visible for every tiddler
 - tell your users, that the can get the "backlinks" if they select the "info-button" and the "Reference" tab.

I was aware of that one. It's part of the way there. I hate to seem persnickety, but I think with the extra click and having to figure out that References means backlinks ... it's not quite there.

IMO no 3 should be relatively simple to implement and shouldn't interfere with the templates.

No 2 is the version I personally prefer, since I try to remove all dropdowns and modals from my own themes.

Bonus points if it can be activated by clicking the tiddler title rather than having to have another button ...

have fun!
mario

You too!
Pete.

PMario

Aug 10, 2015, 1:15:17 AM8/10/15
to TiddlyWiki
On Sunday, August 9, 2015 at 11:07:43 PM UTC+2, Peter Merel wrote:
I was aware of that one. It's part of the way there. I hate to seem persnickety, but I think with the extra click and having to figure out that References means backlinks ... it's not quite there.

Changing this text is simple. Just edit this system tiddler: http://tiddlywiki.com/#%24%3A%2Flanguage%2FTiddlerInfo%2FReferences%2FCaption to Backlinks.

-m

PMario

Aug 10, 2015, 2:21:39 AM8/10/15
to TiddlyWiki
On Sunday, August 9, 2015 at 6:26:52 PM UTC+2, Peter Merel wrote:
No worries at all. I don't think TM should be confused with powerpoint. To give an example of what I don't imagine TM doing, here's my curliest big-picture diagram. I expect this kind of thing to remain in the realm of externalimages. When time permits I'm thinking it should become an imagemap that links to the appropriate tiddlers. Each of them would have a TM that illustrates its process. I haven't yet figured out the intricacies of imagemaps but I know gimp can generate 'em.

IMO if you create this image as an SVG, it would be easy to make it interactive.
See: http://tiddlywiki.com/#UsingSVG for some very simple examples.

-m

Felix Küppers

Aug 10, 2015, 7:11:28 AM8/10/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pete,

> No worries at all. I don't think TM should be confused with powerpoint.

ok :)

> I think there I'm worried about violating the
> principle-of-least-surprise - I think overloading the TM button will
> make users confused about its purpose.

Yes, I agree, it is a real struggle not too overload TiddlyMap ;)

> Ah, but then I'll have to remember to edit things in multiple spots to
> achieve this. If I have no alternative I guess I will, but your
> tmap.open-view tiddler field seems a far tidier solution to me.

I'll try to come up with a solution when I have the time.

> I guess the more one relies on users doing CSS tricks the less users
> one has.

True, but a feature overload is equally bad. Anyways, I'll see what I
can do.

> But then in general I see the future of TW and TM as a world where
> editors run local node servers and share their work via github,
> exposing the result via github pages. To me this is such an appealing
> way to federate wikis and edits on wikis I wouldn't go near
> tiddlyspace/gollum. But then again I'm probably just being kinky ...

I am also a fan of hosting and discussing wikis at GitHub and running
local node servers. So I strongly agree with you here :)

-Felix

Peter Merel

Aug 10, 2015, 8:54:40 AM8/10/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mario,

Yes, SVG linking sounds like the way. Thanks for the example! It looks like I can edit the links in using inkscape.

When you start tiddling there's no end of twiddling. Maybe that should be on a t-shirt ...

Cheers,
Pete

On 10 Aug 2015, at 4:21 pm, PMario <pmar...@gmail.com> wrote:

IMO if you create this image as an SVG, it would be easy to make it interactive.
See: http://tiddlywiki.com/#UsingSVG for some very simple examples.

-m

Peter Merel

Aug 10, 2015, 8:56:52 AM8/10/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Done ... but I still want to find a way to get the titles to open same. It's far from the top of my list but it just sounds like it ought to be simple and configurable like most other tiddly things ... I shall cool my jets until I have enough expertise to have a go at it.

Cheers,
Pete.

PMario

Aug 10, 2015, 12:36:57 PM8/10/15
to TiddlyWiki
On Monday, August 10, 2015 at 2:56:52 PM UTC+2, Peter Merel wrote:
Done ... but I still want to find a way to get the titles to open same. It's far from the top of my list but it just sounds like it ought to be simple and configurable like most other tiddly things ... I shall cool my jets until I have enough expertise to have a go at it.

As I wrote. Opening the tiddler info panel and selecting the right tab, isn't as simple, as it may seem, with the current templates. The mechanism isn't designed, to work that way.
I do have a solution, but it isn't generic, so I need to think about it. ...

I'll try, to create a ticket / pull request at github. But to get it into the core, we need to make sure, that there is no backwards compatibility problem.

-mario

Peter Merel

Aug 11, 2015, 2:06:04 AM8/11/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mario,

I looked into the SVG linking but I think I'm going with imagemaps. Tobias Beer has a nice description on same at http://tobibeer.github.io/tb5/#Interactive%20SVG%20Image%20Map .

Reason has nothing to do with SVG per se, but I can't find a way to turn my png or pptx into an svg that doesn't generate a huge file. Probably all those gradients I use. Anyway, no problemo.

Cheers,
Pete.

Peter Merel

Sep 1, 2015, 1:48:47 AM9/1/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Felix,

Love TM on the desktop but there's something that looks wrong in the layout on a mobile in portrait mode.

With live view and top or pop view it comes up with the sidebar map consuming the whole screen. The default TW5 sidebar per tiddlywiki.com doesn't have this behaviour - it focuses the mobile portrait on the story river.

I wonder whether there's a configuration parameter that can sort this out somewhere that I'm missing or should I be editing some part of the topview tiddler somehow to re-order things?

Kind regards,
Peter.

Felix Küppers

Sep 1, 2015, 4:41:33 AM9/1/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

much thanks for your feedback!

I also do not feel comfortable with the live view on mobile. Generally
speaking, the live view only makes sense when used on a bigger screen
when it is shown aside.

What I could probably do is to completely hide the "map" tab when in
mobile using css media queries. Then for mobile to have a map editor,
you could add a tiddler that contains a tiddlymap with the
editor="advanced" attribute set (see tiddlymap.org examples) and simply
open this tiddler when you need it.

At the moment, my only advice is, when in mobile, close the map tab and
do not use it. To connect nodes, you can always use the tiddler-toolbar
map button.

-Felix

Peter Merel

Sep 1, 2015, 5:17:32 AM9/1/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Felix,

Yes, I think that would be a great quick fix. I also had a play with it on an old ipad where, while landscape mode looks brilliant, portrait was even worse - animated wrong and again should be hidden by default.

Since I'm not a CSS dude I wonder if you could paste up a bit of code to illustrate where such a media query would go?

Cheers,
Peter.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/BLU436-SMTP73C1F4CB131044565095E0CE6A0%40phx.gbl.

Felix Küppers

Sep 1, 2015, 6:11:49 PM9/1/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

I will implement this in v0.9 which will be released soon so if you wait
a bit, you have to do nothing :)

-Felix

Peter Merel

Sep 1, 2015, 6:49:55 PM9/1/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Felix,

Cool, I shall focus on content and keep my powder dry.

Pete.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tiddlywiki/BLU437-SMTP94A0C3B5B0322347006BE5CE6A0%40phx.gbl.

Peter Merel

Oct 19, 2015, 7:47:09 PM10/19/15
to felixk...@hotmail.de, tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Felix,

I'm loving tiddlymap over on http://xscale.wiki but since it's heavily intertwingled I'd like to only show the incoming links to the current tiddler rather than also the outgoing ones. I think this will make it easier for users to understand context.

I'm sure there must be a simple edge filter to achieve this but neither googling nor searching for filter on tiddlymap.org revealed same. Can you please enlighten me?

Thanks!
Peter.

Felix Küppers

Oct 20, 2015, 2:40:39 PM10/20/15
to TiddlyWiki, felixk...@hotmail.de
Hi Peter,

I'm loving tiddlymap over on http://xscale.wiki but since it's heavily intertwingled I'd like to only show the incoming links to the current tiddler rather than also the outgoing ones.

Thanks :) This feature doesn't exist yet but there is a ticket for this already: https://github.com/felixhayashi/TW5-TiddlyMap/issues/90

I'll implement it in one of the next versions. Your xscale wiki got pretty sophisticated. Also good idea, to make use of the single click feature. It's often more intuitive for users to do a single click on nodes. We used TiddlyWiki and TiddlyMap for a university project (http://www.hallo-sme.uni-hamburg.de) and usability tests clearly showed that users do not expect double clicks…

-Felix

Peter Merel

Oct 20, 2015, 2:50:37 PM10/20/15
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com, felixk...@hotmail.de
Hi Felix,

Thanks. xscale.wiki is very much under active development right now - lots more to do there. But very happy with the tm and tw tools so far. I'll go check out the github tickets and maybe add one or two.

Cheers,
Peter.

Tobias Beer

Oct 21, 2015, 10:02:01 AM10/21/15
to TiddlyWiki, felixk...@hotmail.de
Hi Felix,

We used TiddlyWiki and TiddlyMap for a university project (http://www.hallo-sme.uni-hamburg.de) and usability tests clearly showed that users do not expect double clicks…

Wow, what a great example for live mode on TiddlyMap and then using TW as a website.
Now off figuring out how you implemented the topmenu. Looks like it's pure css. ;-)

Best wishes,

— tb

Sylvain Naudin

Tobias Beer

Oct 22, 2015, 7:39:19 AM10/22/15
to TiddlyWiki, felixk...@hotmail.de
Hi Sylvain,
Haven't gotten to compile any such yet. ;-)

Best wishes,

— tb