Presenting: QuickTid

Mat

Mar 8, 2016, 12:56:43 PM3/8/16
to TiddlyWiki
Happy to give you a tool I've been fantasizing about for years, not least for "live" note taking situations like lectures.

QuickTid (QT) lets you create individual tiddlers very fast. Features include
  • direct edit template access
  • "pin" content to reuse it
  • pre-made, selectable, content
  • silent creation of tiddler

It is in beta stage (not plugin-packaged) and tweaks are still needed.

QT is a total remake of FastNewTiddler (by Jed Carty and me) that caused a little stir about a year ago.

Feedback is very welcome.

<:-)

David Gifford

Mar 8, 2016, 2:47:29 PM3/8/16
to TiddlyWiki
Very interesting!

One small idea to consider: instead of two identical checkmarks, which force you to remember which is which, what  about a + for create and navigate, and (+) for silent creation? The plus symbol is already recognized for creating tiddlers, and a plus in parentheses would symbolize creation but quietly.

Dave

David Gifford

Mar 8, 2016, 2:56:22 PM3/8/16
to TiddlyWiki
BTW I really like pinning the tag section to quickly generate a bunch of tiddlers of the same category, or tiddlers to be used in a list filter. Nice touch!

I do find that trying to slide the cursor all the way over to the checkmarks at the right sometimes makes the whole popup disappear, which then necessitates hovering to the left again. This is because the popup is so close to the browser menu bar. Very easy to accidentally move too far north of the popup and lose it.

Dave

David Gifford

Mar 8, 2016, 2:59:41 PM3/8/16
to TiddlyWiki
Okay only one more comment...I need to get back to work...

The vague instruction "You need all tiddlers tagged QTComponent" should read "Import all the tiddlers tagged QTComponent to your TiddlyWiki" so that it is not interpreted as "You will need to tag all your tiddlers with the tag QTComponent before this will work."

Dave

Mat

Mar 8, 2016, 5:49:37 PM3/8/16
to TiddlyWiki
Thanks for input Dave!

Ok, I updated the tickmarks so the silent one is within parentheses. I was considering using a + instead of tick but I reasoned it really is more similar in behaviour to the save tickmark you use in regular edit mode than to what the + button normally does. I might reconsider because just maybe the tickmarks in the QT can be confused with the tickmark on a (possible) tiddler that the QT might overlap. Will think about it.

I also corrected the Installation instrux as per your suggestion, thanks.

Regarding:

I do find that trying to slide the cursor all the way over to the checkmarks at the right sometimes makes the whole popup disappear, which then necessitates hovering to the left again. This is because the popup is so close to the browser menu bar. Very easy to accidentally move too far north of the popup and lose it.

Did you try to pin the QT itself? That "main pin" thus has a different meaning than the "field pins".

<:-)

Mat

Mar 9, 2016, 8:29:05 AM3/9/16
to TiddlyWiki
NOTE:

I just updated some minor bits - among them autdated tags that made needed components not show up in the list of needed components! (For instance, the pin images were not tagged properly).

Please ensure you have all necessary components, as listed in the tagpill under Installation.

Thank you

<:-)

Hegart Dmishiv

Mar 15, 2016, 4:40:10 PM3/15/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mat,

This looks really interesting, and may well solve an issue we're facing in creating the TiddlyCRM project for our {{DesignWrite}} semester project. Please have a look at this Trello card for how we might implement some of your QuickTid code, and your feedback is always welcome either here or in our TiddlyCRM thread.

Thanks,

Hegart.

Mat

Apr 27, 2016, 6:43:54 PM4/27/16
to TiddlyWiki
QuickTid updated.

If you too ain't got no time for no clicking around then you GOTTA have QuickTid

<:-)

Birthe C

Apr 28, 2016, 2:05:10 AM4/28/16
to TiddlyWiki
Hi Mat,

Absolutely the right thing for me I thought, and tried to be fast enough not to turn into a green frog.
Quick editor is cleared when saving, but I would like to be able to clear it without saving, not to quickly have a bunch of tiddlers with lots of mistakes ;-)

I also like your little fish. I would like to copy that too, if I may, for my own fishing expeditions for new user.

Thank you for all your good ideas and humor,
Birthe

Devin Weaver

Apr 28, 2016, 1:08:51 PM4/28/16
to TiddlyWiki
I think this idea has a lot of potential. Is this project on GitHub? Can other contribute?

Mat

Apr 28, 2016, 2:01:24 PM4/28/16
to TiddlyWiki
@Birthe, thanks for your compliments :-)

Quick editor is cleared when saving, but I would like to be able to clear it without saving, not to quickly have a bunch of tiddlers with lots of mistakes ;-)

Good idea. Will make.

I also like your little fish. I would like to copy that too, if I may, for my own fishing expeditions for new user.

Yes of course. Anything that helps the TW project. I should maybe make a plugin out of it. It uses Tobias'  Link Images macro tho.

<:-)

Mat

Apr 28, 2016, 2:14:32 PM4/28/16
to TiddlyWiki
On Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 7:08:51 PM UTC+2, Devin Weaver wrote:
I think this idea has a lot of potential. Is this project on GitHub? Can other contribute?

I'd be thrilled if others, especially you, want to contribute. I'm afraid it's not on Github (...it's about time I learn to use github for real, but there's so much to learn about everything). The easiest might be to just copy it for another tiddlyspot? Or I'd be happy to share the password?

A note: QuickTid is actually part of a much bigger concept I'm working on (my most ambitious to date, next to TWaddle perhaps). I hope to release this soon. IMO TW is fantastic for managing and organizing notes but it is too slow or "attention-demanding" in situations where the to-be-conent needs maximum attention such as during lecture note-taking and maybe even creative writing (as described by fellow Dave Gifford the other day).

<:-)

Jed Carty

Apr 28, 2016, 3:09:37 PM4/28/16
to TiddlyWiki
This looks great! It will be one of the things I use in new wikis.

Hopefully soon I will have time to polish twederation enough so that we can use tiddlywiki itself to share updates as an alternative to GitHub.

Mat

Apr 28, 2016, 4:47:50 PM4/28/16
to TiddlyWiki
On Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 9:09:37 PM UTC+2, Jed Carty wrote:
This looks great! It will be one of the things I use in new wikis.

Haha - that is flattering but also very understandable; you are, of course, much responsible for the good parts in it via our earlier efforts with FastNewTiddler. For one thing, I learnt the concept of manipulating a temporary tiddler and transfer the values only on final execute/done, i.e rather than manipulating the actual tiddler directly.

Hopefully soon I will have time to polish twederation enough so that we can use tiddlywiki itself to share updates as an alternative to GitHub.

Yeah. I'm hoping to be able to chip in with the little I can too.

<:-)

Devin Weaver

Apr 28, 2016, 5:11:19 PM4/28/16
to TiddlyWiki
On Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 2:14:32 PM UTC-4, Mat wrote:
I'm afraid it's not on Github (...it's about time I learn to use github for real, but there's so much to learn about everything).

I have taught Git to college students and at local meetups. I would be happy to help.

IMO TW is fantastic for managing and organizing notes but it is too slow or "attention-demanding" in situations where the to-be-conent needs maximum attention such as during lecture note-taking and maybe even creative writing (as described by fellow Dave Gifford the other day).

In these cases I open a single tiddler (usually a new journal) and just dump content in there. I've done this on phone calls. I tend to hit the enter key a lot to separate shifts in conversation. This note taking tiddler is just that a dump of content with no care to organization or formatting. If it is note taking there are times when I might have time to add some formatting. I might add dashes between topics. Also in these cases I might leave TW and open my favorite text editor because editing there is easier then the typical text inputs you get from the operating system and the spell checker is on an order of magnitude about a bigillion times better!

Anyway after the note taking is complete I go back and weed out the individual tiddlers and setup links, images, transclusions, tags, and formatting. The new extract tiddler feature in 5.1.12-prerelease is going to make this sooooooo much easier!

Ákos Szederjei

Apr 28, 2016, 6:23:59 PM4/28/16
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Very useful I say! While my Tiddler/text ratio is low, I still found it
useful, as it does not take too much space on the top of my screen.

Thank you for the great work!

Ákos