Best Way to Serve Large Tiddlywiki

h0p3

Jan 17, 2018, 3:19:36 PM1/17/18
to TiddlyWiki
I have a Tiddlywiki html file that is ~10.5MB in size, and even after compression, it's ~3MB in size. It is slow to load from the web if you don't have a fairly fast connection, and it's only getting slower (this monster continues to snowball). I've been trying out the npm tiddlywiki server, and I'm pleased to see tiddlers are broken down into .tid files (incredibly useful); I think it's really elegant. This got me to thinking that it might be possible to serve individual tiddlers upon request (instead of all of them at once), which would greatly reduce load times over the web. Assuming the npm server doesn't already do this (it's possible that it might given the different performance feel of the npm served content compared to the local .html file), what is the best way (if any) to server individual tiddlers instead of the entire tiddlywiki all at once? Also, in case it might change your answer (although, I'm not sure how it would), I think I want to use a reverse-proxy from a more standard webserver to the npm tiddlywiki server.

This is a different question, but I noticed .tid files I've added manually aren't served until I've restarted the tiddlywiki server daemon. Is there a good way to update the daemon without restarting? If there isn't, are there any problems I need to be concerned with restarting the daemon automatically whenever the tiddlers folder is modified?

Mark S.

Jan 17, 2018, 3:30:08 PM1/17/18
to TiddlyWiki
You could experiment with lazy loading: https://tiddlywiki.com/#LazyLoading under node.js

In the past I haven't had much luck with this approach, but I was probably doing something wrong.

-- Mark

h0p3

Jan 19, 2018, 12:32:40 PM1/19/18
to TiddlyWiki
Lazyloading doesn't appear to shave anything off for me either. I see something on the screen before I normally would, but the frontpage loads at about the same time that I'd have loaded the entire wiki (this is a text-based wiki).

I'm trying --build out. That might be the best solution here given the problems I have with the daemon.

Abraham Samma

Jan 19, 2018, 2:40:56 PM1/19/18
to TiddlyWiki
I have a question, if anyone can answer it: How well does TiddlyWeb handle very large wikis on a remote connection? By large I mean greater than approaching 20mb or more.

Thanks

@TiddlyTweeter

Jan 19, 2018, 4:05:59 PM1/19/18
to TiddlyWiki
I can't give an exact answer.

The 20mbs itself is maybe not the issue. Rather it relates to performance on opening. There is a world of difference between simple tiddlers and Tiddlers that DO things. So to approach this also look at what the 20mb does and how much it sparks other processes. I don't think the issue is just about size.

J. x

TonyM

Jan 19, 2018, 7:53:40 PM1/19/18
to TiddlyWiki
Noteself has a nice "loading" message on startup that may reassure people the browser has not died.

Regards
Tony

Ste Wilson

Jan 20, 2018, 6:18:27 AM1/20/18
to TiddlyWiki
The best way to serve a large tiddly Wiki is with fava beans and a nice chianti... Or is tiddlywiki a dish best served cold?

Arlen Beiler

Jan 20, 2018, 11:57:19 AM1/20/18
to TiddlyWiki
You can use a filter to set which images are served lazily.