Smallmouth bite at Fletcher's

Alex Binsted

Jun 26, 2013, 9:10:56 PM6/26/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The last few days have seen a flurry of smallmouth along the VA side of just above Fletcher's.  The bite has been best near low tide on pumpkinseed/green tube worms but anything in these colors fished near the bottom will give you a good chance at a nice smallie.  They are schooled up and seem to be feasting on shad fry and crawfish.  I have seen several fish chasing bait to the surface but haven't been able to hook one on topwater yet.

Today was the best bite so far.  In two hours I hooked 10 smallmouth over 15".  I only landed 6 but at least I got to see the other 4 as they jumped and threw the hook.  Since Monday I have seen four 17"+ smallies on the end of my line, the biggest being 19".  It's been a good week...

There are a few pics attached.

-Alex
smallmouth6:24.jpg
smallmouth6:25.jpg
19"smallmouth6:26.jpg

Danny Barrett

Jun 26, 2013, 9:30:21 PM6/26/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Anybody fish down near Leesylvania lately?

Thanks,

Dan Barrett

MSA Fall Protection CoOp
1100 Cranberry Woods Drive,
Cranberry TWP, PA

3610 Dawson Ave
Pittsburgh, PA

-Alex

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Bob Smith

Jun 26, 2013, 10:02:28 PM6/26/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Alex, how deep are you having to go?

Bob Smith

Alex Binsted

Jun 26, 2013, 10:38:19 PM6/26/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Some fish are right off the bank in only a couple feet of water but for the most part they have been hitting 10' off the shore in about 8' of water.  Bouncing lures on the bottom is key.  On my spinning tackle i've been bouncing a 1/4oz tube jig or trolling crankbaits on the bottom, rattletraps and jigs would work also.  I tried the fly rod today but only had floating line so I had no luck, ill bring the sinking line tomorrow.

Bob Smith

Jun 27, 2013, 7:15:17 AM6/27/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
thanks. I've got a fly line that'll be just exactly perfect. And I'll give my new spinning outfit a go too.

Bob

TurbineBlade

Jun 27, 2013, 7:29:42 AM6/27/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Nice fish Alex -- those are bigger than any SMB I've ever caught!

Gene

Bryce Comstock

Jul 1, 2013, 11:09:13 PM7/1/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Alex, how do you get access to the Va side across from Fletcher's?

Bob Smith

Jul 2, 2013, 6:04:26 AM7/2/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I bet he's gonna say...row row row your boat gently across the stream. Or hike up from Roosevelt Island I believe.

Bob Smith

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 1, 2013, at 11:09 PM, Bryce Comstock <brycec...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Alex, how do you get access to the Va side across from Fletcher's?
>
> --
> http://www.tpfr.org
> ---

Alex Binsted

Jul 2, 2013, 10:40:56 AM7/2/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I take a rowboat across.  It's not a long row, usually I'm within sight of the Fletcher's dock.  As of yesterday there were still some smallies over there.  As the water temp rises and the river level drops these fish tend to move upstream above Chain Bridge but for now there's enough current that they're staying in the Fletcher's area.

Matt Geiman

Jul 17, 2013, 12:19:11 PM7/17/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
What's a good fly pattern to imitate shad fry?