Idaho??

abbie mcmullen

Jul 20, 2019, 3:06:13 PM7/20/19
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I have been reading a LOT on Idaho recently. Has anyone fished there? What river has been your favorite? Particularly for DIY wade fishing??

Eric Bernon

Jul 20, 2019, 3:54:39 PM7/20/19
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The Weitas and Kelly Creek area are great if it's not too warm.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Eric Bernon, MD
MedStar PromptCare

Daniel Lazenby

Jul 20, 2019, 4:22:07 PM7/20/19
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Abbie,
What part of Idaho? There are several well-known rivers in the state.
If you are in the Boise area, there is the Boise River. It runs through the city. If you have transportation I'd suggest going upstream of the city.

There's a couple of nice rivers in the southeast where the state borders Yellowstone and Tetons.

Daniel

On Sat, Jul 20, 2019 at 3:06 PM abbie mcmullen <abbie.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have been reading a LOT on Idaho recently. Has anyone fished there? What river has been your favorite? Particularly for DIY wade fishing??

Hugh

Jul 20, 2019, 7:20:18 PM7/20/19
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
South fork Boise, now that peak irrigation flows are dropping. Managed for trophy trout, especially Rainbows and Bull trout. It is only an hour from Boise airport also. Henry’s Fork (of Snake River) at Island Park is world famous. Payette river between Cascade Lake and Horseshoe Bend.

Carl Z.

Jul 29, 2019, 8:58:43 PM7/29/19
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
There's always the Henry's fork, but I try to avoid the crowds.
I recommend getting a Delorme Topo Atlas and rent a 4wd vehicle and just try them all.  It depends on where you want to fly into and what area you want to fish.

The big names like Silver Creek and the Henry's fork are neat, but I prefer finding a mountain stream and just getting out there.  There are miles and miles of accessible water.

Carl

--
Carl Zmola

On Sat, Jul 20, 2019 at 3:06 PM abbie mcmullen <abbie.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have been reading a LOT on Idaho recently. Has anyone fished there? What river has been your favorite? Particularly for DIY wade fishing??

Morgan Cosgrove

Rob Snowhite

Jul 30, 2019, 4:48:11 PM7/30/19
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
We have friends on Lake Pend Oreille. I was dropped off at some random tributary of the lake while the others hiked. I found cutthroat in the lower stretches (none had any remarkable size). I fished upstream and with no particular change in scenery or topography the cutthroat were gone and were replaced by gigantic bull trout. I've never come across a more aggressive salmonid which is probably why no cuts were up there. One of the best days I've ever had fishing. Foam terrestrials for cuts, big streamers for the bulls.

Hopefully you find something similar.

Rob Snowhite

Jamie Carracher

Aug 6, 2020, 9:49:00 AM8/6/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I'm responding to this because in our COVID world, I'm dreaming of traveling again. My wife and I spent two weeks in Idaho last September. It's now one of my favorite states and I look forward to going back because now that I have some actual knowledge of the place. I echo the comments above. You could fish your entire life and not see everything. The three standouts for me were:

Henry's Fork. We went up to Island Park basically on a whim, and it was cold and pouring down rain. There was virtually no one around. Gorgeous place to fish. I got a recommendation to try the Buffalo River right near there but we got turned around and couldn't find it.

South Fork of the Snake River. I got a guide and a full day float. I'm definitely fishing this river again one day. Definitely recommend checking it out.

Any of the alpine lakes. My wife is not an angler but loves hiking, so I packed a rod on our hikes. I believe many of these fish are stocked but some are wild. Either way,  it's an interesting challenge catching fish in water that is so clear it almost looks invisible.

Definitely want to go back, especially to target some of the smaller streams with less pressure. The one big recommendation I'd have is thinking about late August/early September, which is when there are fewer folks out. The weather for us was still in the 60s to low 80s. It's tricky--a week or two after we came home, they got snow.

Adam Harris

Aug 6, 2020, 11:06:37 AM8/6/20
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Gosh so many great spots.  I'd add Silver Creek, Salmon River, and a great place to stay and use as a base is Redfish Lake Lodge.  If you're able, definitely grab an atlas, hike a good day to half day up to some of the alpine lakes where the fish aren't pressured.  The Payette River south of McCall is also a good area.