Fiberglass Rod Recommendations

James Ovelmen

Dec 9, 2013, 8:26:30 AM12/9/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I was hoping to get some recommendations on the new fiberglass rods that have been coming out. I am planning on getting one for my dad as a Christmas present. He is the guy that has everything and if he sees something he wants he just buys it, so shopping can be tough. But he doesn't have any fiberglass rods, at least no new ones. I think he might like one, because after 20 years of being too nervous to try use them for fear of breaking, we have started to fish his bamboo rods. I was thinking a fiberglass rod with a warranty would give some of that bamboo feel with none of the risk.

Unfortunately, I have had trouble tracking down fiberglass rods in person to try and cast them myself, so I figured I would throw it to the group and see if I could get some recommendations. Specifically, I am interested in the Echo Glass, Reddington Butterstick, and possibly the Orvis superfine glass. I was hoping to spend about $250 or less. The rod would basically be for just messing around with while trout fishing, but it would be great if it could throw small poppers for bluegills also. If you have casted or fished with any of these rods or other new glass rods you believe a I should be considering please let me know. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

TurbineBlade

Dec 9, 2013, 9:06:50 AM12/9/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I'll be interested in responses too.  It's about the right time of year for me to read the fly rod magazines to learn which rods "let you spend your valuable time working the water - not being worked over by your rod!" and so forth.

I have a pile of oily rags and a lighter -- I just need to know what I need to buy, and what I need to set on fire. If you guys don't read the magazines, you're living in a junk-rod, fantasy world!

No seriously, glass rods are interesting and I'd like to cast a few.  Hopefully someone who isn't an idiot will respond to this -- ;)

Gene

Vic Velasco

Dec 9, 2013, 5:49:40 PM12/9/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I have been doing research over the past three months for a 3wt fiberglass rod.

In the end, if your Dad gets what he wants when he sees it, I'd do the research and order him something he can't see.

You'd be surprised at the shear volume of options out there.

I was leaning towards a Scott F2 7033 (7'0" 3wt 3 piece), but with the price tag approaching higher end graphite, I got scared away.  I believe you would get what you paid for, but this is a few hundred above my budget.

Next I found the custom builders - of which there are many.  Too many.  And the rods they build are all awesome.  Google "Fiberglass Manifesto" and hit his Rod Shop link.  That will list out the builders' webpages.  My favorite was a Japanese builder by the name of Kabuto - one year waiting list for a custom rod!!!  I ordered a 7033 in brown with a burnt stacked bamboo handle.  Now I need to invent a time machine to fast forward to next November.

Since I will have a waiting period I kept looking and I found Barclay rods.  I ended up buying his last rod in his initial production run.  It cost much less than a Scott.  The action is described as "progressive fiberglass".  I have been casting tenkara rods for the past two years in this weight range (sub 5wt).  I have cast stiff, medium and soft rated rods and I have gotten to the point where I can relate the tenkara rod to an equivalent conventional rod.  The softer tenkara rods are closer to the feel of the Barclay 7233.  Progressively stiffer from a "not too soft" tip to the stout yet supple butt.  This is night and day when compared to a 'noodlely' Eagle Claw Featherlight (which I got my hands on at Green Top in Richmond).  But since you may not have cast tenkara rods, I would say the Barclay is just slightly softer in the tip section than my 5wt Orvis Superfine Touch.  I really like the action and you can feel everything on the end.

The Orvis Superfine Glass and the Echo Glass won't be in stores until after the first of the year.  Both rods have received excellent reviews from the media.  The Echo and the Reddington will be in the price range you quoted.

You may also want to Google Fiberglass Flyrodders and Ultralight Fly Fishing forums - tons of information.

Good luck.

vkernus

Dec 10, 2013, 10:38:10 AM12/10/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Shane Grey of Grey Wolf Rods makes a very nice fiberglass rod.  I have three of his custom builds, two 5 wts and a Kabuto 3 wt.   The 5 wts include one of his Epic builds and a Signature S-glass build.  The price point is around $550 or so.  Shane puts a lot of love into his builds.  If you are interested in casting one, let me know.  We can make arrangements to meet somewhere.  I live near Burke Lake.

Victor

Carl Z.

Dec 10, 2013, 5:04:17 PM12/10/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

I have an extensive collection of vintage glass and a few modern glass rods.
    I would say there are 3 general groups of glass rods out there:
       vintage
       Modern from one of the "big" rod companies
       Modern from one of the boutique blank suppliers.

If you need to walk out with a rod before Christmas, your options are limited, either the used market or something that is available from one of the major companies.
If he is used to bamboo, the used market shouldn't be scary.
If I were to recommend anything, it would probably be a rod built by a custom builder on one of the "boutique" blanks.

   From the major rod manufacturer there are 4 series I am aware of.
       Reddington Butter Stick
       Scott F2
       Echo  not out yet
       Orvis not out yet.

The Scott has been around  for some time  and the price is up above the $25 mark.
The Butter Stick is supposedly available now (priced within your range).
I am not sure about the pricing of the other two, but I don't think they are going to be out before next year.
I cast an Orvis prototype last spring and it was a very nice rod.  Fast for glass, but a very nice rod, but not as nice as some of the smaller shops.

The ones I can think of are
   Steffen Brothers-- I haven't cast one of these, but I haven't heard anything but praise for them.
   McFarland Rods -- I have a built up short rod and 3 of his blanks with guides taped on.  These are some very nice rods, but the lead time on his rods are high.
   Tom Morgan -- (of  Winston fame) has blanks and rods available, but his rods have a high premium since his wife does all the work :) The blanks are reasonably priced and there are some great builders out there to put together some masterpieces.

There are a host of others out there that are basically available in blank form and someone can build one for you
  Epic
  CTS Quartz
  Lamiglass
  Kabuto

Vic,  We should get together and have a casting session.

Carl

--
http://www.tpfr.org

vkernus

Dec 10, 2013, 5:10:19 PM12/10/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Carl,

Let's set something up. I need to make a correction to my post, my Kabuto is a 2 wt.

Victor

Steve

Dec 10, 2013, 6:00:38 PM12/10/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Guys, Good thread!  I’m planning on building a glass rod this winter and your recommendations on blanks are well timed.  I was going to get a Lamiglass blank but I think I’ll research my options a bit more.

I’m also going to finish up a rebuild of an old cane rod I picked up on ebay several years ago, just to get some experience building with bamboo.  It is, or was, a 9’ 3 pc “Governor”.  I paid about $30.  I’m only using the top two sections, making it a 6 footer.  I stripped it down and turned a new handle.  I polished the ferrules and tip top and ordered new guides and a rosewood reel seat.  I did all that about 6 years ago and then put the thing away - more than half completed.  Could be a nice small stream rod…or just a piece of junk.  We’ll see.  I’m thinking it’ll line to a 3 or 4 wt.

Carl, If you’ve got more specific advice reference nice glass blanks at a reasonable price, please let me know.  Thanks again for the thread.

Steve

Vic Velasco

Dec 10, 2013, 9:23:04 PM12/10/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I'm game for casting - either for real fish (4MR) or for lawn fish.

Vic #2
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Art Friedlander

Dec 10, 2013, 9:26:42 PM12/10/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I would be interested in joining a lawn casting session to sample what is available and will bring along my Lamiglas rod.

Art

Vic Velasco

Dec 18, 2013, 6:45:04 AM12/18/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
James -

One of the Fly Fishing periodicals currently on the magazine racks (the one with the "dead head" Abel reel on it) has a good article on fiberglass rods.  Pretty much the same info you've seen here, but from another source.

Also - based on what you've said your goals are, I suggest you check out one of the posts on "The Fiberglass Manifesto" - the one from yesterday.  You may find something you have been looking for.  This was written to specifically not get deleted for promoting commercial interests.

Victor, Carl, Art -

Is there still interest to have a 'glass gathering' to cast what's out there and share info/experiences on glass?  Throwing something out there for consideration - how about the Saturday after Christmas at the 4MR park - lots of grass just East of the parking lot to cast some lines, and some sunfish (and a bass or two) by the outfall to test out some of the ones that perk interest.

Vic

Carl Z.

Dec 18, 2013, 10:39:09 AM12/18/13
On Wed, Dec 18, 2013 at 6:45 AM, Vic Velasco <velasco...@gmail.com> wrote:

Is there still interest to have a 'glass gathering' to cast what's out there and share info/experiences on glass?  Throwing something out there for consideration - how about the Saturday after Christmas at the 4MR park - lots of grass just East of the parking lot to cast some lines, and some sunfish (and a bass or two) by the outfall to test out some of the ones that perk interest.

I'm booked through that weekend. Too much Christmas cheer.

Though early this Saturday is tempting since the weather is supposed to be warm.

That location sounds good, as long as the parking is OK.  I've never actually been there to fish, but I've driven by the area.   I like the fact that there is a Starbucks close by.

Carl

Art Friedlander

Dec 18, 2013, 9:45:02 PM12/18/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I can't do Saturday after Christmas but could come early this Saturday.  Anyone else?  Haven't been there so would need directions.

Art

Daniel Davala

Dec 18, 2013, 9:53:41 PM12/18/13
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Have fun guys.  I'd love to make it but have another casting commitment.  I'd even bring my grandfather's circa 1960's True Temper fiberglass rod for some real nostalgia.  That 8' 4-weight tamed more PA Trout than I could ever dream of.  I whipped a bunch of big carp with it to once it was bequeathed to me a bunch of years ago, now it hangs on the wall and reminds me of him every day.  Good man, good memories.

Dan Davala

--
http://www.tpfr.org

John Bilotta

Dec 19, 2013, 6:22:30 AM12/19/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
sounds fun. let me know what you decide.
john

Art Friedlander

Dec 19, 2013, 8:37:07 PM12/19/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Victor, Vic, Carl, John and others:
Who can come to a glass casting this Saturday at 9?
Do we have a quorum?
Art

John Bilotta

Dec 19, 2013, 9:51:28 PM12/19/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
sorry i can't make that one.
have fun.
john
> --
> http://www.tpfr.org
> ---

Vic Velasco

Dec 20, 2013, 7:11:49 AM12/20/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I can't make this Saturday either (the reason I was pitching the Saturday after Christmas).

From the responses here so far, I think both this Saturday and the following are out.

Is Jan 4th a date that everyone can support?

Art Friedlander

Dec 20, 2013, 8:28:09 AM12/20/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I could do Jan 4th

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Carl Z.

Dec 24, 2013, 4:13:10 PM12/24/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Works for me.

I will bring a selection of rods.

9am?
Where?

A place with enough parking and open space would be best.

A close by Starbucks is a bonus.

Vic Velasco

Dec 28, 2013, 5:49:33 PM12/28/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
4 January Fiberglass Casting

My suggestion is 4 Mile Run Park on the south side of the run, on Mt Vernon Ave (just South of the South Glebe Rd intersection).  On the East side of the soccer field, there is a large grassy area that should be fine for lawn casting.

You can also see the outfall from this spot, although it looks like the tide will be high around 9am.  Current forecast is for clear skies, but cold air temps.

Across Mt Vernon Ave is a strip mall, but unfortunately no Starbucks.  I think there are some Starbucks shops along US1 on the way in...

If someone has a better spot and it is a more central point for everyone, I'm game.  Fletcher's Cove, the National Mall, one of the parks in Fairfax County, the park at Jones Point Dr?  I just figured 4MR is most ubiquitous with the folks on this site.

I plan on bringing my 6'6" Dave Lewis 3/4wt, 7'2" Barclay Glass, and a few Japanese Tenkara rods (not fiberglass, but a lot slower than graphite).

Vic

On Tuesday, December 24, 2013 4:13:10 PM UTC-5, Carl wrote:

Works for me.

I will bring a selection of rods.

9am?
Where?

A place with enough parking and open space would be best.

A close by Starbucks is a bonus.

On Dec 20, 2013 7:28 AM, "Art Friedlander" <just...@yahoo.com> wrote:
I could do Jan 4th
On Friday, December 20, 2013 7:11 AM, Vic Velasco <velasco...@gmail.com> wrote:
I can't make this Saturday either (the reason I was pitching the Saturday after Christmas).

From the responses here so far, I think both this Saturday and the following are out.

On Thursday, December 19, 2013 8:37:07 PM UTC-5, Art Friedlander wrote:
Victor, Vic, Carl, John and others:
Who can come to a glass casting this Saturday at 9?
Do we have a quorum?
Art
--
http://www.tpfr.org

http://www.tpfr.org

Rob Snowhite

Dec 28, 2013, 5:59:42 PM12/28/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I played with the new Orvis glass at Mad River Outfitters in Ohio the other day. Didn't like the feel, too stiff. Not aesthetically easing either. If you set it down you won't find it.

Starbucks and Dunkin both off rte 1 at Potomac Yards.

Sent from my iPhone

Carl Z.

Dec 28, 2013, 7:11:22 PM12/28/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good to me.

Can someone with connections bring one of the new Orvis rods?

I will bring:
  Fenwick FF60, FF75,  FL96-6, ff85
  Garcia Conlolon (at least one)
  Cortland FR-2000

McFarland brookie rod
(and if I can get it finished an 8' 3wt)

I might bring some old fiberglass dud's to remind us that there are some glass rods that are worth using as tomato stakes.

Carl

Art Friedlander

Dec 29, 2013, 12:53:31 PM12/29/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like we have a plan.

9 AM next Saturday.  Is the consensus 4 Mile Run Park?  If so, can someone provide directions?
Thanks,
Art

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Vic Velasco

Dec 29, 2013, 1:10:19 PM12/29/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Type in "4 Mile Run Park" into Google Earth and the marker should be right on the soccer field.

The parking lot is off of Mt Vernon Ave on the East side of the road, just South of the S. Glebe Rd-Mt Vernon Ave intersection.

When you park in the lot, you'll see a path that leads Eastward.  To your left is 4 Mile Run, to your right is the soccer field (inside the fenced in area).  Walk just passed the fenced in area and there is a wide open grass space.

Hope this helps.

Vic
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders+unsubsc...@googlegroups.com.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

http://www.tpfr.org

http://www.tpfr.org

http://www.tpfr.org

Art Friedlander

Dec 29, 2013, 5:50:30 PM12/29/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Great directions
See you all there

Art

--
http://www.tpfr.org

James Ovelmen

Dec 30, 2013, 4:10:34 PM12/30/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com, Art Friedlander
I just wanted to thank everyone for their input on helping me pick out a rod and I am glad to see the thread has resulted in casting meet up. I wish I could be there but I will be in Birmingham Alabama this weekend to watch the might Vanderbilt Commodores take on Houston in the Compass bowl. For those curious, I ended up getting my Dad a Redington Butter Stick 3 wt. 7' with a 2/3 Drift reel and 3 wt Perception Fly Line to match. I never got the chance to cast any fiberglass rods, so I made my choice based on everyone's recommendations and relied heavily on the Fiberglass Manifesto website. I figured he could fish poppers for bluegill and work smaller streams for trout. One critical factor was the Butter Stick was the only one that I thought would be delievered by Christmas, unfortunately the fly shop my Dad and I use in Miami could not get one in time, so in the end I had to give him an IOU anyways. Still I think the anticipation fo it arriving in mid-January is kinda like having another Christmas day all over again.

Thanks again!

Art Friedlander

Jan 3, 2014, 10:55:58 AM1/3/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Gentlemen:

Any interest in a postponement for tomorrow's casting session or are we still a go?  Looks more like steelhead weather.

Art

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Carl Z.

Jan 3, 2014, 11:44:55 AM1/3/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
While I'm all set to go and wouldn't mind, It looks like temperatures are going to be around 20deg at 9am but warming up fairly quickly so by 11, it will be a balmy 28deg.

I don't know when I would be able to reschedule, so if people are up for it, I would still like to try it.

I plan on being at the Starbucks on Glebe road at 9am and moving over to 4MR park a bit after that (when we get a critical mass), but only if Art and Vic are going to come.

I am booked for most of the upcoming weekends so rescheduling for me will be hard.

BTW, I will bring a couple of McFarlands coming as well as some lamiglass, scientific angler and then more vintage rods.

Carl

John Bilotta

Jan 3, 2014, 11:48:31 AM1/3/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
 Agree, carpe diem.

i will not make it your way, but have fun. I hope to heart to fletcher's with a few TH rods.

john

Art Friedlander

Jan 3, 2014, 12:54:08 PM1/3/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
OK.  Agree
If we at least can get the three of us, I can meet you at Starbucks at 9 [or 10?] so we can enjoy the 28 degrees.

Art

Bruce Mathews

Jan 3, 2014, 2:23:08 PM1/3/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I was planning on coming by with some 60's vintage rods.  I thought I might put a couple of pots of coffee in thermoses and maybe stop for some Dunkin holes.  I got a honey do that's killing me and I really need to ditch it for the morning.  Don't know if I can locate the old reels that I used with the rods.

Bruce Mathews
703.772.7167

 Agree, carpe diem.

john

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/ms gid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/ baee95a3-2c27-4dc4-8354- a0c7f9131f8b%40googlegroups. com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/ms gid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/ 1387546089.38010.YahooMailNeo% 40web122306.mail.ne1.yahoo.com .

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/14dbfa89-d890-498b-af7c-7981e5e4b057%40googlegroups.com.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders" group.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/CAK8gq%2BHL_ymH3j5nc95TvgXwqsZDOUgazrVJ%2BECMj8X5jjLT2g%40mail.gmail.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tidal-potomac-fly-rodders/59CC60F5-83AD-4447-BD0E-F97CA26002FC%40obassociates.net.

Vic Velasco

Jan 3, 2014, 3:09:21 PM1/3/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I'm a gluton for punishment - I'm still a go!  Remember it is the park at Mt Vernon Ave, eastern side of the road, just south of the actual run and south of the S. Glebe Rd-Mt Vernon Ave intersection.

I think the grass field will be snow covered still.  The wind forecast is for low speed wind (5 mph or less), with the speed increasing as the day goes on.

I think this is as good as it'll get for a while...

See ya'll in the morning (my Charcoal Gray Toyota Tacoma Longbed will be in the parking lot - I'll be down the path on the other side of the soccer field).

Vic Velasco

Jan 3, 2014, 3:38:33 PM1/3/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
As luck would have it, I'll have an Orvis Superfine Glass 3wt rod at the Fiberglass Rod Casting session tomorrow.

I enrolled in The Fiberglass Manifesto rod loan program and the 3wt arrived today.

Even more reason to go out and enjoy the freezing weather!

Art Friedlander

Jan 3, 2014, 4:10:59 PM1/3/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
OK
Sounds like a quorum at 9

John Bilotta

Jan 3, 2014, 4:14:19 PM1/3/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
when you can check out epic fly rods. they are out of nz.
john

Carl Z.

Jan 3, 2014, 5:44:49 PM1/3/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Bruce,

I will have a few extra reels with 6wt/7wt lines.  I am a bit short on reels with 5wt lines.

See you there.

Carl

Bruce Mathews

Jan 3, 2014, 6:16:11 PM1/3/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

I found one old Pflugger Metalist with some line on it. The line will probably crack when unwound. I rode by the parking lot a short while ago and its pretty clear. There is an open area adjacent the parking lot that might serve our purpose without lugging gear down that trail when its not the gear I'll fish with. Keep us closer to car heaters also. I suspect the air temp over the diischarge water would be pleasant.

See ya there

Bruce

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Jan 3, 2014, 8:45:22 PM1/3/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Well Steve,
When you look at the old stuff I bring you will realize that the Good Old Days are today -equipment wise. I may have the only Ted Williams signature rod from Sears Roebuck (or was it JC Higgians?). Caught a lot of trout on that rod.

Jan 3, 2014, 9:02:44 PM1/3/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Sorry guys. Will not be able to make it tomorrow. Hopefully next time.

Victor

Vic Velasco

Jan 4, 2014, 7:24:37 PM1/4/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Despite the really cold temps, Carl, Art, Bruce and myself spent a couple of hours sharing experiences with fiberglass.

Some of the highlights (from my POV):
- Art and I had sibling blanks/rods from Dave Lewis - mine was a 6'6" 3/4wt 3 piece Lamiglas S glass, his was a 7'0" version of the same (wonderful rods)
- Carl has a ton of rods - and some great gems among them - this guy knows how to build rods
- Bruce dug deep in the closet and that 7'6" 4 wt Fenwick was a blast to cast!  And even better was that sub 6' reelseat-less golden rod
- Carl and Art reminded me to "SLOW DOWN" and I really began to find a better cadence
- The Eagle Claw Featherlight is no joke - a laser pointer with a DT6
- Money can buy happiness... you just have to know what rods are out there and what cadence they like

The consensus is we meet again - when it is warmer...

Next time hopefully I'll have a 7033 Kabuto...

Thanks all - I hope you had as good a time as I did
Vic

On Jan 3, 2014, at 4:10 PM, Art Friedlander wrote:

--
http://www.tpfr.org
P1090628.JPG

just...@yahoo.com

Jan 4, 2014, 8:33:56 PM1/4/14
to Vic Velasco, tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Great time meeting you guys and talking/casting the rods
Frostbite is a small price to pay
As you  said it will soon be time for the next one
Art

Sent from Samsung tablet