PROJECT HEALING WATERS TYING MARATHON THIS SATURDAY!!!!!

Daniel Davala

Mar 18, 2014, 10:58:55 AM3/18/14
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Calling all TPFR TIERS!!!!

This is a reminder that the National Capital Fly Tying Marathon to benefit Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing is THIS SATURDAY, MARCH 22 from 10AM-4PM AT WHITLOW'S ON WILSON!!!!  Attached is the event flyer with location and time as well.  Feel free to print it out and put it up at the office, etc. if allowed.

We will be set up in the same area where we have out BEER TIES, so consider this a BEER TIE with a greater purpose!  ALL TIERS are encouraged to attend and participate for as little or as much of the event as you can.  If you can not make it for the full six hours, please come and tie for however many hours you can spare.

Participants should bring their own materials and tools, and are encouraged to share materials they will be donating with others around the room as well.  All flies tied during the six hour event will be donated in full to Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing for distribution throughout their programs across the country.  If you are unfamiliar with PHW and their mission, please check out their site here and watch a few of the videos:  https://www.projecthealingwaters.org/

Tiers may tie and donate anything they'd like, but the vast majority of PHW Events and fishing days are done on Trout Streams or (fresh) warm water locations, so flies tied with this in mind are preferred.  Think of this as a volume game, and choose go-to patterns you love to tie and will be able to crank out in high quantity while maintaining good quality.  Examples would be:

Woolly Buggers
Elk Hair Caddis
Griffith's Gnats
Hare's Ear Nymphs
Pheasant Tail Nymphs
Green Weenies
San Juan Worms
Foam Beetles
Hoppers
Ants
Bass/Bluegill Poppers

Again, the above are just examples, please use your imagination and add to the list.

In addition to all of the tying, we will be holding a raffle or raffles throughout the day and giving away some great prizes.  I will be making daily reminder posts leading up to this event, but please chime in and add to the hype!!!  Even if you don't tie, please consider stopping by for a bit and making a monetary donation to PHWFF.  You could always throw a few store bought flies into the collection as well, they're all going to the same place.

I am super psyched to see a ton of you there this Saturday.  It will definitely be a great time for a great cause!

Dan Davala

Nationl Capital Fly Tying Marathon 24x36.pdf

Dalton Terrell

Mar 18, 2014, 5:23:24 PM3/18/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Any word on food or beer specials this Saturday? Either way, no worries from me, I will be overconsuming both regardless.

Dalton

Terry C

Mar 18, 2014, 6:49:57 PM3/18/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Dan, unfortunately I will not make what will be a great event, dropped off a dozen bass poppers at your store today. Have fun all.

namfos

Mar 19, 2014, 1:06:40 PM3/19/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there for woolly buggers (for sure), pheasant tails (probably), gurglers (likely) and who knows what else.

Mark

Aaron O

Mar 19, 2014, 6:56:38 PM3/19/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I'll be there with san juan worms,green weenies, foam beetles and possibly pheasant tails.

Aaron

Al Warner

Mar 19, 2014, 7:33:10 PM3/19/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com, Ted Cryblskey, david.f...@projecthealingwaters.org, walter.gr...@gmail.com

Good man, Aaron!  Let’s not forget who these guys are and what they have done for us.  Fly fishing has truly helped these guys, many of whom will be there Saturday.  What you do Saturday will not be forgotten by these warriors.  Come out, support them, thank them, toast them.  They are the best of all of us.

Al

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Jeffrey Silvan

Mar 19, 2014, 7:35:05 PM3/19/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I stocked up on Clouser materials along with some other assorted patterns. I'm looking forward to helping out, and finally getting to put faces to some of the names on here!

Al Warner

Mar 19, 2014, 8:21:20 PM3/19/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Clousers are perfect.  We have the Stars and Strippers tournament in August where clousers are perfect!  Fellow TPFR member, Doug Root will host warriors on his boat in this event.  These will come in handy.  Thanks Jeffery

BTW, we have told the warriors that people at the marathon will be happy to teach them patterns.  So put on your skull caps.  Thanks

Rob Snowhite

Mar 20, 2014, 10:27:05 AM3/20/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Some additional information about how/what to tie based on the injuries these anglers may have endured (visual and tactile)

  • Flies should be easy to see from a distance (dry flies)
  • Flies should be easy to tie on (big eye hooks)
  • Flies should be barbless (I removed a barbed through and through fly from a nose this past weekend at a PHWFF event)
  • Red, white, and blue ('patriot') flies are always appreciated

Dan Davala - Founder/President

Mar 20, 2014, 4:45:45 PM3/20/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
This is all good stuff guys, keep it up.  The PHWFF Tying Marathon is only 2 DAYS AWAY!!!!  I was over at Whitlow's today and we are putting together a menu of "Specials" for the event.  Figure mostly apps and regular menu items but at a discout for our event.  We're trying to work out a BEER special as well, so I'll post tomorrow when I have the details.  Regardless, there will be plenty of BEER!

Terry, your poppers are awesome, thank you for dropping them by the shop.  Anyone else that cannot make the marathon but would like to donate some of their ties can drop them off at one of the local Orvis Stores or at Urban Angler this evening or tomorrow.  We'll round them all up and toss them in the pot on Saturday.  Also, there is no need to wait until Saturday to start your tying.  If you want to hammer out some patterns between now and then go right ahead.  You can bring them with you to the marathon and we'll be instantly off to a great start.

I'm working out the raffle details right now, and will post a list of prizes before the big day.  Looking forward to an awesome marathon this Saturday, and to seeing a TON of you all there!

Dan Davala

Dan Davala - Founder/President

Mar 21, 2014, 5:10:10 PM3/21/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
GREAT NEWS ALL!!!  I've secured some excellent raffle items for the drawing tomorrow, and all proceeds will be going directly to Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing!  Orvis is donating a complete 8.5' 5-weight Superfine Touch outfit with a our new CFO #3 reel and a Hydros 3-D trout line, so the entire outfit (rod/reel/line) was made 100% in the US which seemed appropriate for this event!

Another prize will be a 250 grain 3-D Depth Charge sinking line complete with a spool of 0X tippet and a box of Tommy Mattioli's Shad Flies - ready to go for the Shad Run in a week or two.

And, we're also tossing a Digi-Camo sling pack in as another raffle item.  There will be more great prizes as well, so plan to bring some $$$$$ and take a shot.

RAFFLE TICKETS WILL BE $5 EACH, OR 5 FOR $20, so be sure and hit up the ATM on your way to the event.

I'll post again tonight with additional details re: BEER, etc, and I am fired up to see you all there tomorrow!  Rest up, and get ready to tie!

Dan Davala

namfos

Mar 21, 2014, 8:03:30 PM3/21/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Just spent 2 hours getting my stuff together for
Woolly Buggers
Pheasant Tail Nymphs
Gurglers
Cracklebacks
and maybe a few I make up on the spot.

Daniel Davala

Mar 22, 2014, 6:51:42 AM3/22/14
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
LESS THAN 4 HOURS UNTIL KICKOFF!!!  I'm super excited to see you all at Whitlow's today.  For anyone new to the club that hasn't made it to a BEER TIE or is unfamiliar with the location, links to Whitlow's location/directions can be found on our TPFR EVENTS page here:  http://www.tpfr.org/events.htm

VERY IMPORTANT ATTACHMENT - PLEASE READ:

Since we will effectively be BEER TYING today, it is imperative that participants read and understand the Project Healing Waters policy on alcohol at PHW events.  Most importantly, 5(a) which states that "Volunteers should not purchase alcohol for the use of our participants at any time".

So, as much as you might like to buy a warrior a well deserved frosty beverage as a big thank you, please refrain from doing so out of respect for PHWFF's overall mission and commitment to their participants.

Being that this event is being sponsored and hosted by outside parties (Orvis, TPFR, Whitlow's), it has been established with the PHWFF directors that responsible consumption is allowed by volunteers (us) throughout the event, so no worries on that end.

Attached is the complete PHWFF Policy regarding Alcohol Consumption at events.  Please review the document prior to your arrival.

See you all in a few hours!!!

Dan Davala

--
http://www.tpfr.org
Alcohol Consumption Policy 07-26-13 (3).pdf

Daniel Davala

Mar 22, 2014, 8:50:26 PM3/22/14
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
AWESOME, AWESOME EVENT TODAY EVERYONE!!!!!

HUGE THANK YOU to everyone that sacrificed this beautiful Spring Saturday and donated not only your time but also your talents and materials to the benefit of Project Healing waters Fly Fishing.  It was tough to get an official head count, but seeing as the room filled, half emptied, then filled again, it's safe to say that over 85 tiers attended for some or all of the event!

I'll post some pictures and all of the official stats as soon as I have them, but know that today we raised close to $900 for PHWFF, and the number of flies tied and donated was truly staggering (final tally coming).  I just wanted to extend my tremendous gratitude to you all in the meantime for making the marathon such a big success!

Dan Davala

namfos

Mar 23, 2014, 10:00:19 AM3/23/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
You're welcome, Dan. 'Twas a pleasure to contribute and will be pleased to do so next time around for a good cause. One thing I did learn for certain: I'm not cut out to be a professional fly tyer. ;-)

Mark

TurbineBlade

Mar 23, 2014, 3:20:45 PM3/23/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I missed this Dan!  I did throw in a box of soft hackles a few weeks back....I think it was for this event, but I'm not 100% sure.  I wouldn't fish 'em though -- they haven't worked since 1970 or so.

I'm about to board one of those aluminum missiles at 514 mph.  If it lands, I consider it another unsuccessful suicide attempt.  LOONNGG island iced teas help.

Gene

namfos

Mar 23, 2014, 7:40:42 PM3/23/14
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
And here's a few pix

Mark
IMG_1270.JPG
IMG_1272.JPG
IMG_1277.JPG
IMG_1278.JPG
IMG_1275.JPG

Daniel Davala

Mar 24, 2014, 8:39:19 AM3/24/14
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
OFFICIAL RESULTS ARE IN!!!  Bob Gartner took on the monumental task of sorting/organizing all of the flies we produced at the marathon (thanks Bob!), and the final tally is:

Total flies tied - 1,075.

Streamers – 333

Dry Flies/Terrestrials – 336

Nymphs/Wet Flies – 260

Bass/Saltwater – 85

Miscellaneous – 61

Absolutely phenomenal job everyone, thank you all again for giving it all you had to the benefit of our veterans.  Here are some more pictures from the day, though they are from early on so I never got the full crowd.  I'll pass along some of Beau Beasley's photos when I get them as well.  Already looking forward to next year!

Dan Davala

On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 7:40 PM, namfos <mark....@gmail.com> wrote:
And here's a few pix

Mark