Barbados Intel

Jeff

Nov 19, 2013, 10:17:53 AM11/19/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hey All

I'm heading to Barbados for quite some time in the coming weeks and have been trying to do some research on fishing there. So far I've found very little about inshore fishing and even less about fly fishing.

Anyone been or have suggestions, comments, ideas?

My plan is to bring my 8 wt and a medium/heavy spin rod.

I will try to post while over there but will be sure to file a report when I return

Thanks everyone!

Keep Fishing!

Jeff

Jeffrey Silvan

Nov 19, 2013, 10:48:29 AM11/19/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
While I don't have any particular knowledge of Barbados specifically, I do know that the island is an accretionary wedge (geological formation). That basically means you'll find relative steep dropoffs close to shore, and you'll find very few, if any, flats. This will leave the potential for possible some reef fishing, or some activities in some of the protected bays if you can get into a kayak, but not exactly certain what more gamey species would call the areas around Barbados home. The silver lining is it has fantastic access to big game. You'd need to hire a charter boat, but you should get easy access to great mahi mahi, wahoo, tuna, and marlin fishing.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Casey Peltier

Nov 19, 2013, 11:30:18 AM11/19/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
You're right, Jeff. No Flats=no bonefish, etc. Good deepwater fishing, and expensive.

Or you could take up diving...that was very popular when we lived there in the 70s.

From: jeffre...@gmail.com
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 10:48:29 -0500
Subject: Re: {Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders} Barbados Intel
To: tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Jeffrey Nowak

Dec 15, 2013, 2:16:26 PM12/15/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Well I'm a couple weeks into my work trip to Barbados so I thought I'd post a few things. First I learned a bit from another forum. I found that on The North American Fly Fishing  Forum a guy had posted about his work trip there several years ago and he gave me a few spot to try. I won't mention his name but it was great to connect with another fly guy who is more than willing to share knowledge. For all purposes I will refer to him as the Barbados Godfather because he seems to be the only person on the web with intel on this little island. To give  a quick summary Jeff S. was right. The east coast is so rough you mine as well be fishing in a hurricane. The west coast though calm is just beach with very few rivers dumping into it and no flats that I have found. With the Barbados Godfathers intel I have been fishing the out flow of a marina with little luck. I have been seeing schools of 8-12 inch fish however I think they are mullet and not interested in my tarpon flies. I did have several chases by a big squid(over 12 inches) who went after my tarpon toad very aggressively. At first I thought this would be a great first, to catch a squid on a fly but then thinking more I have no experience releasing a squid so I moved on. Anyone caught a squid before? Im thinking its the type catch you don't release. There are plenty of offshore boats but they took one look at my fly gear and laughed. There is a local guy here who will take any fisherman out with him in his wood skiff while he hand line fishes for a living. This might be my next option. He runs about $200 US.  http://www.fishbarbados.net/

If you look on google maps I've been fishing Heywoods beach and the marina next to it.

I will keep fishing and will hopefully build more data on Barbados.

-Jeff

Jeff

Dec 15, 2013, 2:52:15 PM12/15/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Oops forgot pics. I can't complain even if the fishing is bad...its sunny and 80. I hear the weather is terrible back in DC! See if you can tell which is the East coast(fly fishing not recommended)

-Jeff