St Pete’s Beach Recommendations

tguf...@verizon.net

Oct 4, 2018, 10:08:53 AM10/4/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Heading to St Pete’s Beach, FL later this month for 5 days of R&R and was looking for recommendations for DIY wade fly fishing in the area and/or guide recommendation for inshore fly fishing. Thanks.

Alin Schmutz

Oct 4, 2018, 8:56:12 PM10/4/18
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I have been down there this time of year. There should be snook off of the causeways on sides of bridges. They're spooky and near invisible but they should be there. might be able to get to them without wading depending on your casting. Use clousers and deceivers with lots of flash. Wire leaders are must too. Fast strip and super hard strip set. I don't know any guides but it is a decent DYI fishery.

There are also Jacks under the bridge if you have access to a boat and can get deep. Bonito (false albies) can also be found hitting bait balls occasionally out in the bay.

Regards,
Alin

> On Oct 4, 2018, at 10:08 AM, tguf...@verizon.net wrote:
>
> Heading to St Pete’s Beach, FL later this month for 5 days of R&R and was looking for recommendations for DIY wade fly fishing in the area and/or guide recommendation for inshore fly fishing. Thanks.
>
> --
> http://www.tpfr.org
> ---

Miles

Oct 5, 2018, 7:57:19 AM10/5/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

Red tide has been really bad on the Gulf coast this year, with massive fish kills including marine mammals. There's good odds you won't be able to get anywhere near the water. This map shows current red tide conditions:

I would check with a local shop to see what's what. Another resource is Jim Kammel, a TPFR alum who is now a guide in the Tampa Bay area: http://thecatcherandthefly.com/thecatcherandthefly/About_Me.html

Miles

ALarge

Oct 5, 2018, 11:35:00 AM10/5/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I commented on another recent tip request on fishing Ft. DeSoto and Tampa Bay, and I'd offer the same recommendation here. I lived in Clearwater for several years and fished the area heavily with my father. I still have lots of family in the St. Pete area and go fishing there every year.

My best walk and wade suggestion is Honeymoon Island, north up the coast from St. Pete Beach. It's a state park, so your backcast won't be a bother to anyone like it would at St. Pete. There are essentially three options to attacking Honeymoon Island (formerly Hog Island):

The first (and best) option is to rent a canoe or kayak somewhere (not sure where) and fish the grass flats and mangroves on the east side of the island, putting in just after making your way through the ranger pay station.
The second option is to park at the trailhead for the osprey trail. Its a good hike to the north end of the island, but once you get there, there are good sand bars dotted with grassy spots which hold good amounts of speckled trout.
The third is to park at the beach on the west side of the island and fish Hurricane Pass to the south, which can be very successful on moving tides, especially outgoing tides.  Or you can walk north down the beach and target cruising snook - which is best accomplished in early, early morning light.

Aside from that, there are countless sea walls, docks, piers and public parks (look for those with boat ramps) in St. Pete which can also be successful.

ALarge

Oct 5, 2018, 11:39:40 AM10/5/18
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
My best guide recommendation would be Capt. Josh Peurifoy https://www.captainjoshcharters.com/trip-info out of Anna Maria Island/Holmes Beach. He was born and raised on AMI and I've been going on charters with him for a decade or more.