Snakehead fishing on the Yahoo homepage

Richard Farino

May 30, 2013, 11:25:53 AM5/30/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Saw this on the homepage this morning:

http://news.yahoo.com/tough-yes-snakeheads-may-not-ecological-scourge-050916516.html

Richard Farino

Urban Angler VA | 108 N. Washington Street  2nd Floor | Alexandria, VA 22314 Google_Maps_Marker

(703) 527-2524 | fax: (703) 527-3313 | ric...@urbanangler.com

image001.png

FlyTimesDC

May 30, 2013, 11:51:18 AM5/30/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
"Lightning perch"....I like it.

Brendan

May 31, 2013, 3:43:46 PM5/31/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
odenkirk has a sweet gig and man that's a helluva fish.

is there any info on what kinda toxins/metals are found in the meat of potomac snakehead?

i have never eaten a fish out of the tidal potomac, really anywhere below smokehole, but from rich's posts and others, kinda tempted to try them out... very least,  a good conversation piece to bring one to a bbq.

just curious, because given the health of the bass and catfish, you couldn't pay me to eat one from here.

thanks,

Rob Snowhite

May 31, 2013, 4:27:07 PM5/31/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
From the snakehead tourney last year I was told the grow so fast that they don't harbor toxins in their flesh like cats and bass. Maybe data has changed since them but md dnr said they were ok to eat.

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org

HeaveToo

May 31, 2013, 4:56:48 PM5/31/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Rob.  I have been told the same thing.

That being said, I wouldn't eat them more than a few times a month, at max.  A lot of places there are advisement placards placed saying that you can only consume so much of the fish each month.

The snakehead I ate tasted good, but it did kind of make me nervous because it came out of the Potomac.

Mike Bailey

May 31, 2013, 5:22:37 PM5/31/13
to tidal-potomac-fly-rodders
Alex Binsted (manager at Fletcher's) as cleaned many Snakehead. More often than not he cuts out some sort of worm or parasite in the fillet. The ones he misses cook up well and have done us no harm to date.

Dale White

May 31, 2013, 6:53:20 PM5/31/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I recently caught a 27in snakehead out of Cameron run, upstream of Belle Haven. It had several red long worms in the meat. I never really intended to eat it but filleted it anyhow. Planning on using it for chum filler.

I wonder if Snakheads are more susceptible to parasites than other fish?

DRW

Dale R. White
mobile: +1 202.255.9977

namfos

Jun 4, 2013, 12:10:00 PM6/4/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
If memory serves, most of the compounds that are of concern (and hence fish advisories) are persistent and lipophilic, which causes them to bioaccumulate. It's in a fish's adipose (fatty) tissues where they will be found. (but not Hg, or mercury, which might be found in any tissue) There's this from EPA, http://1.usa.gov/15y1djG.

Mark