Saltar al primer mensaje no leído

Aden

no leída,
26 jul 2013, 1:21:3326/7/13
a tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I went to the confluence of the Rapidan and Rappahannock Rivers today.  Due to traffic from a late start due to a late night, I didn't hit the water until about 3:30pm.  That didn't matter.  I just wish I had been there earlier to fish all day.  The river was clear and a little cool.  Wading was easy.  The average smallie was 12 to 14 inches with the biggest over 18.  The average sunfish was 8 inches and REALLY aggressive.  Lots of fun on a 4 wt.  The sunfish hit everything and the bass hit everything too.  A foam hopper like pattern I tied with green and black foam produced explosive strikes from both species.  The bigger bass were deeper and liked an olive and white clouser or an all black with red krystal flash clouser, both size 6.  Damsel nymphs produced too.

As fun as the bass were, I had forgotten how aggressive the sunfish are here.  They repeatedly became airborn during the strike!

I am probably going back tomorrow and might even camp so I can get the morning action on Saturday.

MCartoski

no leída,
26 jul 2013, 8:53:2726/7/13
a tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hey Aden-

I was planning on going down to the Rapp tomorrow morning around the rt. 1 bridge (because of ease of access), but I have always been tempted by the legendary confluence.  I tried to scout it out once but got lost on the dirt roads.  How do you get there?

I'm taking two fly beginners out with me so maybe we'll see you on the river!

Danny Barrett

no leída,
26 jul 2013, 9:24:1226/7/13
a tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
If you google around for Switch Fisher.  He has a good book on that whole Rapidan River.  He has pretty solid directions.   Some chapters of his books are on his website.  Good luck

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Bruce Mathews

no leída,
26 jul 2013, 9:27:0026/7/13
a tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Where do you park to get to the stream there or did you float in?

Bruce Mathews
703.772.7167

[...]

HeaveToo

no leída,
26 jul 2013, 14:25:3626/7/13
a tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Aden

no leída,
26 jul 2013, 23:55:5426/7/13
a tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I have to give a big thank you to Steve Moore for the Switch fisher books.  Without his exploring and publishing I would know much less about virginia waters.  And yes, I found this spot with his book mentioned above.  Follow his directions to a T.  They are very accurate.
here is a link to the parking spot.  http://goo.gl/maps/SQDZ
This is not a hard but it isn't like parking at lock 7 and walkng the CandO to Chain Bridge.  You take the interstate, to the state highway, to the 2 lane road to the dirt road to a foot path.  The dirt road just stops and that is where you park.  Follow the foot path (it is a real, well maintained path) until you reach the end, which is a camp ground.  The fishing wasn't as good today but that was becuase I snapped my 4wt in half being careless.  Still managed about 30 fish.  Half smallies and half sunfish.   gorgeous day

namfos

no leída,
27 jul 2013, 19:52:1827/7/13
a tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Aden, you planning on fishing outside of Ghent, Belgium? That's where your maps link goes - a little far to go for post fishing beer! ;-)

Mark

Brian

no leída,
29 jul 2013, 8:43:4529/7/13
a tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
NICE!  I'll be in Brugge in September and might have to swing on over for some smallies!

Aden

no leída,
30 jul 2013, 16:04:4430/7/13
a tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Not sure how that map ended up linking to my post. I better have a beer and think about that one :-)

namfos

no leída,
31 jul 2013, 8:39:4231/7/13
a tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Be sure to make it a Stella Artois or similar, Aden. ;-)

Mark

Responder a todos
Responder al autor
Reenviar