2016 Angling Resolutions

Dalton Terrell

Dec 31, 2015, 9:03:14 AM12/31/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
We've had a few of these posts over the years, and I think they're always interesting. What would everyone like to accomplish angling in 2016?

On the last one, I said I wanted to catch a new native species, and I was lucky to do so in 2014 with Snook, Tarpon, and Rio Grand Cutthroat; 2015 was successful again as I caught a Mahi Mahi on the fly as well as Sea Run Cutthroat. Here's to keeping this going in 2016. In addition to this, I would like to get back to fishing more locally 2016.

Dalton

Rob Snowhite

Dec 31, 2015, 11:59:56 AM12/31/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Snakehead on topwater. Preferably on a gutless frog. Now that I have a trolling motor for the StealthCraft I'm hoping to get out solo and work the weed lines.

Sent from my iPhone
--
http://www.tpfr.org

Jeremy Maggio

Dec 31, 2015, 12:18:22 PM12/31/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
For 2016 I'd like to add a new native species to my list; greenback cutthroat. I plan on accomplishing the goal with Justin when I go visit him in Colorado. I also hope to finally land a striper on the fly as this was one of my goals for 2015 that was not accomplished. My main goals for 2015 were to keep getting better at casting (something we all are always working on I'm sure) and to finally catch a wild brown trout (both were accomplished).

namfos

Dec 31, 2015, 1:39:43 PM12/31/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
The only resolution I have successfully kept over the years is the one I made 20 years ago to never again make New Years resolutions. In any case, I do hope to fish more often, and from my kayak, in 2016.
And maybe miraculously find the Fish Eagle fly rod and reel I lost at Weverton 3.5 years ago. LOL!

Mark

TurbineBlade

Dec 31, 2015, 2:18:29 PM12/31/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Mine is to stay the course!  With a wife who is a competent and avid fly fisher, I'm burning through a pair of simms in about 6 months and korkers in 4-5 months (and both are excellent products).

There is nothing else folks - community, family, religion are dead ends.  There is only fishing, a bunch of idiots who don't know how to parallel park, ice cream sandwiches, and death.

Gene

Bob Smith

Dec 31, 2015, 5:01:43 PM12/31/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Not a resolution but a wish for 2016. That the people who post pictures and videos here of their fish lying in muddy water, on rocks, or muddy water/rocks/gravel/grass, or being derricked out of the water and then lobbed back in to the water like a softball 10-30 feet (mostly those 4" brookies with flies as big as they are it seems)
will learn to respect the sport, respect their catch and show thought and care in handling them.

TurbineBlade

Dec 31, 2015, 7:08:01 PM12/31/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I don't think anyone ever changes anyone's opinion with online posts.  My experience is that people change their opinions and behavior when they decide to do so on their own.

People have a lot of strong opinions on just about everything, including fly fishing.  Most folks on here are probably very nice, reasonable people in person.

Try to remember that every time you see a picture of a trout laying in grass, muddy water, etc. that the person taking it probably has a valid fishing license, actually enjoys fishing and thus cares about he resource, and undoubtedly chooses to release many, many fish that they could otherwise legally kill, clean, and eat at home.  (Beth and I catch many brook trout > 9 inches every year, and we've eaten not a single one, ever).

I will not post anything further to avoid hijacking this thread.  I'm going to make another manhattan!  Happy New Year!

Gene

Yambag Nelson

Dec 31, 2015, 8:47:00 PM12/31/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
lol not on topic but see my post on photographing fish for my thoughts on that.

As far as the topic on hand, I need to fish more in 2016.  I fished less in 2015 (I think only about 20-25 days) which is less than any year since i started.

I don't consider it a resolution since a resolution should be something you actually have control over, but my goal for 2016 is to catch a permit on the fly.

namfos

Jan 1, 2016, 9:46:10 AM1/1/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
...and taxes.

Mark

Jamie Carracher

Jan 1, 2016, 11:18:10 AM1/1/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
My resolution is to keep fishing regularly and explore new water. I also am looking for more ways to support conservation.

Goal wise, I'd like to get better at catching more varieties of fish by improving my casting and retrieving. I'm a lot better than I was when I started in 2014 but still can be pretty sloppy.

Jamie

Andrew Sarcinello

Jan 2, 2016, 11:45:29 AM1/2/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
As a known brookie-derricker/tosser I feel the need to address this (quickly, then moving on to stay on topic). My belief is that trout, especially in overpopulated high gradient brookie streams, work very hard to earn their spots on the stream. Putting them back anywhere other than EXACTLY where you found them causes them to work hard to get back to their lie. Especially when there's a small waterfall between you and where you caught the fish, or where there are other fish that they will have to now chase out of their spot. Given the lack of food in these streams, that energy spent is a big deal. It's a much bigger deal to a trout than the force of impact on water. Aren't these the same fish that repeatedly try to jump falls on their spawning runs and launch headfirst into rocks to snatch stoneflies and other emerging bugs? Not that we shouldn't treat them as best we can, but they are not made of glass. They thrive in a harsh environment where other fish fail to live at all.

Slime removal via hands or dry ground, squeezing the guts, overplaying and too much time out of water are really bad for fish. I'm guilty of the dry hands sometimes and need to be better about that. But a few seconds of air time and a splash landing, to save the trout the effort of swimming back up a waterfall to its home, I guarantee has zero negative impact on a trout. We're already stressing the fish just by catching it, why make it worse by releasing it away from its home?

Andrew Sarcinello

Jan 2, 2016, 11:48:16 AM1/2/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
My resolutions for 2016:

Do at least one overnight hiking/camping/fishing trip.

Catch a fish over 24" on fly gear.

Fly fish saltwater a few times.

Parker

Jan 4, 2016, 10:10:39 AM1/4/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Among my many fishing related goals for 2016, I would like to fish the South Holston and do a mutli-day kayak smallie float.

Jeffrey Silvan

Jan 4, 2016, 10:16:34 AM1/4/16
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure if these really count as resolutions or if they're more goals, but:
  • Continuing to improve my casting
  • Add more flats species to my "caught" list. Right now it stands at Redfish and Black Drum. I'm going to Cuba for a week next month, so hopefully that adds a few fish to that list.
  • Expand my repertoire for carp fishing - mainly find more places to chase them on foot and figure out how to consistently find carp in the Potomac above Little Falls

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Charlie Church

Jan 4, 2016, 12:01:40 PM1/4/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
A musky on fly put in the drift boat (don't care by who) and a drum over 40 inches although I'd take that on bait at this point (been quite a few years trying).

Other than that, continue to get out as much as possible and to continue trying to explore new spots.

Trent Jones

Jan 4, 2016, 9:32:00 PM1/4/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

I didn’t really set any defined fishing goals for 2015, at least any that I took very seriously. I do remember being adamant that I wanted to Brook trout fish a lot less…unless I was in Labrador. Taking a look back at the photos and fishing logs it looks like I did Brook trout fish a LOT less than in years past and spent a lot of time focused on Brown Trout, Carp, and Snook. Strange trio of fish for a single angler to pursue but hey, it was fun.

This year I am focused on getting a big Snook and spending some time chasing pelagic fish. A new native trout species would be great but I just want to get out west and get deep into the mountains!

-Trent

Trent Jones

Feb 8, 2016, 8:04:35 AM2/8/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Has anyone made any progress on their angling resolutions? I was down in FL a couple weeks ago and got two Snook, one is pictures below and neither was the "big one" I am after.

-T

On Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 9:03:14 AM UTC-5, Dalton Terrell wrote:
Snook.jpg

TurbineBlade

Feb 8, 2016, 8:30:19 AM2/8/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Nice Trent -- you can clearly see how much life that snook has!

Gene

Jeremy Maggio

Feb 8, 2016, 8:30:43 AM2/8/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
At least you will know how to hold and pose with the "big one" once you land it.

D. Walker

Feb 8, 2016, 12:33:24 PM2/8/16
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
one of mine was to get out fishing more.... so far twice... not too shabby with this weather