Přeskočit na první nepřečtenou zprávu

jamie.charles1

nepřečteno,
14. 11. 2014 15:47:4614.11.14
komu: tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I am going to be traveling around New Zealand for roughly a month with my gf from the end of Feb. to late March. I have convinced her that I need a few hours on several days to chase trout. We will be on both the north and the south island with more time probably spent on the south. I know there was a thread awhile ago about a gentleman taking a trip to NZ but I was wondering if there might be any additional information. I have been doing some research online and with the length of travel it makes for a pretty tight budget so I do not know if a guide is in the picture. If anyone has any tips or advice on where to go in any parts of the country, it would help a lot. We are in the planning stages now so I need to make sure I slip in the allotted time before it gets booked. Thanks for any help!

Jones

nepřečteno,
15. 11. 2014 9:34:2215.11.14
komu: tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I took roughly the same trip back in 2004 and I would highly recommend hiring a guide for at least one day in an area you plan to spend some time. We stayed at a sheep station on the Mataura river called Nokami, about an hour or two outside of Queenstown, for a few days. By hiring a guide for the first day, he provided us info on what flies to use, showed us fishing lies in various parts of the river that we could go back the next day and fish, and gave us a crash course on NZ fishing rules and etiquette. We used Best of New Zealand Fly Fishing (http://www.bestofnzflyfishing.com/) to make the arrangements to stay on the station and hire the guide (which gave us fast access and permission to fish areas off limits to outsiders). They also rented a car for us and gave us some good logistical support.

If you're looking for trophy fish (what they call anything over 6 lbs), you need a guide and possibly a helicopter ride into the wilds. If you will be satisfied catching "smaller" fish (we caught 4 pounders on the Mataura) it could be done without a guide, but you need time to scout out and find fish.

If you can't afford a guide, there is a book available that identifies all the rivers on the South Island (there may be one as well for the North, but I never bought one). You can also stop by sporting goods stores/fly fishing shops in country and buy one page maps of each regions fish able rivers and there legal access points.

Finally, leave your waders at home and wet wade, especially on the South Island. Bring thermal pants since sometimes the rivers are cold. If you can, buy new wading shoes before you go and you will breeze through customs. Otherwise, they may insist on sterilizing your equipment before you clear customs.

Finally - soooo jealous! NZ is awesome.

Misha Gill

nepřečteno,
17. 11. 2014 9:51:2717.11.14
komu: tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
On the North Island, there is the kiwi version of the great lakes, it's called Lake Taupo. I spent a week around there 6 years ago at the end of my study abroad term in Australia. The access on the eastern shore is really easy as there is a road and all the rivers that it crosses over draining into the lake hold lake run trout year round. Furthermore, the town of Taupo itself is an adventure sports hub (I went bungee jumping), although I stayed at a place called the Tongariro River Motel in the town of Turangi, which had nice suite style rooms for a very good price. Of course, you could also stay at a hostel in Taupo. The Tongariro is the crown jewel of the Lake Taupo tributaries. It's as big as the Salmon River in NY. Again, access is very easy. The name of the game is nymphing deep with a team of heavy nymphs. I did have a good time at one spot with a dry-dropper rig though.

Anyways, if you have any further questions, I'm happy to help, just send me a direct message. Good luck and safe travels!

Cary Pugh

nepřečteno,
18. 11. 2014 6:30:2118.11.14
komu: tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I've gone twice recently. Near rotorua on the north island - more precisely murupara. We fished on our own and with a guide Murray Downie. I can't say enough good things about Murray. He will take you some beautiful places either on a rubber raft or on foot. If you want to talk send me your number. And if you want to contact Murray feel free to use my name. Also rotorua is a good place to stay for restaurants and non fishing activities. Of course I did nothing but fish so I can't speak to those.

Cary Pugh

nepřečteno,
18. 11. 2014 6:34:4318.11.14
komu: tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Also the fly shops in rotorua should be able to help on where to fish on your own. And if you can swing one day with Murray I expect he would be able to give you tips on fishing alone. Lastly if you tie flies tie some big heavy - quite heavy - nymphs. Mostly I used hares ears. We also used little dry flies and some cicadas. I am happy to make suggestions on flies too if you want.

Patrick Roethe

nepřečteno,
18. 11. 2014 10:06:5218.11.14
komu: tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
What about the South Island? Does anyone have any experience there?

> On Nov 18, 2014, at 4:34 AM, Cary Pugh <cpu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Also the fly shops in rotorua should be able to help on where to fish on your own. And if you can swing one day with Murray I expect he would be able to give you tips on fishing alone. Lastly if you tie flies tie some big heavy - quite heavy - nymphs. Mostly I used hares ears. We also used little dry flies and some cicadas. I am happy to make suggestions on flies too if you want.
>
> --
> http://www.tpfr.org
> ---

jamie.charles1

nepřečteno,
18. 11. 2014 10:52:5018.11.14
komu: tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Great tips! It looks like the days I will be able to really venture out will be when I am in the Nelson area (northern tip of the south island). Anyone have any experience in that area? I am looking at hiring a guide for probably just half day as expenses are starting to add up. Thanks for all the help and if ya'll have any more suggestions/tips please let me know. Thanks again guys.

On Tuesday, November 18, 2014 10:06:52 AM UTC-5, pjroethe wrote:
What about the South Island?  Does anyone have any experience there?

> On Nov 18, 2014, at 4:34 AM, Cary Pugh <cpu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Also the fly shops in rotorua should be able to help on where to fish on your own. And if you can swing one day with Murray I expect he would be able to give you tips on fishing alone. Lastly if you tie flies tie some big heavy - quite heavy - nymphs. Mostly I used hares ears. We also used little dry flies and some cicadas.  I am happy to make suggestions on flies too if you want.
>
> --
> http://www.tpfr.org
> ---
Odpovědět všem