Strike Indicator Recommendations?

Andrew Chaney

Sep 29, 2015, 4:05:51 PM9/29/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I've recently discovered the joys of small water nymphing. I've used big attractor flies as strike indicators with some success, but it can be a pain tying 5x tippet onto a hook shank. Sometimes I know there's no real chance of getting a surface strike and so I've started using strike indicators instead. My first experiment has been with foam adhesive indicators. They work very well, but they're one-time use. What are your preferences for strike indicators? What removable strike indicators would you recommend?

Dalton Terrell

Sep 29, 2015, 4:27:11 PM9/29/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I like the New Zealand wool indicators. They don't float like a Thingamabobber or foam, but ride higher than about any dry. Otherwise, these stay put well, don't kink up your leader and are easily adjustable. The local shops should have the kits available, but it runs about $20 for a big supply of wool, a threader and some plastic tubing.

Dalton

Carl Z.

Sep 29, 2015, 6:49:08 PM9/29/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Dalton,  You can get them a bunch of places, but this is the thing.

http://www.orvis.com/p/new-zealand-strike-indicator/8P4H

A small tuft of wool goes a long way.  My only complaint is that they are too easy to loose.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Nedak

Sep 29, 2015, 8:04:10 PM9/29/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_LjTGDNVQI

If you tie your own flies, you probably already have the supplies.  A couple of O rings or you could tie it off using thread.

I use these with gink floatant.  Works great for me.
On Tuesday, September 29, 2015 at 6:49:08 PM UTC-4, Carl wrote:
I agree with Dalton,  You can get them a bunch of places, but this is the thing.

http://www.orvis.com/p/new-zealand-strike-indicator/8P4H

A small tuft of wool goes a long way.  My only complaint is that they are too easy to loose.

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 4:27 PM, Dalton Terrell <daltonb...@gmail.com> wrote:
I like the New Zealand wool indicators. They don't float like a Thingamabobber or foam, but ride higher than about any dry. Otherwise, these stay put well, don't kink up your leader and are easily adjustable. The local shops should have the kits available, but it runs about $20 for a big supply of wool, a threader and some plastic tubing.

Dalton

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Nedak

Sep 29, 2015, 8:07:19 PM9/29/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I have also done the same thing w. craft foam.  I use that to make poppers or stole it from my kids craft box.

namfos

Sep 30, 2015, 8:24:17 AM9/30/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
You can do the same thing with polypropylene yarn used for wing posts or spinner wings and egg patterns - the stuff comes in a gazillion colors and it floats.

Mark

TurbineBlade

Sep 30, 2015, 8:35:57 AM9/30/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Funny to see craft foam mentioned -- heck, you might as well just tie one of those RSW foam beetles double-stacked and have a duo rig.  That's my favorite nymphing.  Actually, that's my favorite dry fly period.  That thing catches fish all over the country -- I can't imagine why I'd use anything else for pocket water fishing honestly.

For deeper nymphing and will more weight to get down in current, I use thingamabobbers usually (unless they all fell out of my pack in the truck).  Beth had the metal "eye" on one cut her leader on a monster rainbow several weeks ago and now has a mostly "hate" relationship with them.

I haven't run into any scenarios where I need a delicate indicator where a foam dry wouldn't accomplish what I need.  Maybe I will though --

Gene

Nick F - Gaucho Fly

Sep 30, 2015, 9:11:05 AM9/30/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I prefer to cut a stick on foam indicator in half, remove the color paper so it's all white and also more pliable and fold it over itself to get a very small, sensitive indicator that works even in a spring creek if necessary. While it won't always float it remains visible... Otherwise a piece of bright red amnesia tied into the leader or no indicator at all if tight lightning are the way to go when fishing shallow water, where you can fish a tight line and either detect some fish movement or color from the fish to detect the strike. The bobbers and foam indicators work well for me in bigger water or where depth control is a major consideration.

Matthew Longley

Sep 30, 2015, 2:00:10 PM9/30/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I like the football types with the slit in them. You put the line in the slit then close if off with a piece of rubber tubing. They don't kink your line, are easy to move or remove, and float really well. Occasionally they will fly off, but two or three indicators will generally get me through three 14-hour days of steelheading. Probably not the best option for really small flies/tippet, they are less delicate in presentation, but they are money on deep/fast water.

I use these -

Danny Barrett

Sep 30, 2015, 2:21:04 PM9/30/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone tried using water balloons filled with air for indicators?  I saw a guy a few years back using them for steelhead.  Ive been using that idea ever since.  On high wind days they can be a little hard to cast with smaller rods but you can get a large bag for next to nothing.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

arthur noglak

Oct 8, 2015, 3:20:34 PM10/8/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Cigarette butts are awesome for the small fly delicate presentation thing. Just take the paper off and shredd the but a little. Use a small orthadondests rubber band to attach it to the leader. The butt has a water retardent inside the filter and floats real well.

Art

Bryan Lanier

arthur noglak

Oct 8, 2015, 4:53:22 PM10/8/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Lol I used to put a lite cigarett in my rod tip and reach up to burn flies out of trees.

Art

Andy Thomas

Oct 14, 2015, 10:40:06 AM10/14/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I've tried a lot but I always come back to a thingamabobber.  I strongly prefer the 1/2 pieces (especially on small water) unless I'm on a really large river or using really heavy nymphs, then I might go to the 3/4.  I also prefer the white ones.  At 1/2 and white, they look just like the foam bubbles, so they are harder to see sometimes but I think they are less likely to spook a fish if it floats above them.  I have no evidence to prove this theory except that if I was a fish and saw a large pink ball floating over my head as opposed to a small white ball that looks just like a bubble, I would be suspicious. I also had a guide out on the Green River it Utah one time tell me this as we floated by anglers using big red thingamabbers or even small balloons as indicators.  He said he routinely caught larger fish using a very small thingamabobber as opposed to a larger one.   Anyways, I also recommend clipping the little stopper end off ( if there is one) and looping your line through the whole and around the thingamabobber twice to gain a solid hold on the line. This way it won't slip. The video below shows the line going around once and then he uses a toothpick. I've found that if you push the line through and loop it around, then double it back over one more time and then tighten, it will not slip.

Carl Smolka

Oct 14, 2015, 10:59:43 AM10/14/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

My view on strike indicators.

Enjoy

Carl

--

http://www.tpfr.org

Have strike indicator.doc

Rob Snowhite

Oct 14, 2015, 12:07:59 PM10/14/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
These have become my preference - Float Master.

Thingamabobbers pop if they get caught in prickers and don't travel to and from altitude very well. You can tie a right angle leader with the bigger ones and get a perfect drift. Super easy on and off.

image1.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone

Al Warner

Oct 14, 2015, 3:00:59 PM10/14/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, Carl.  A little discussed, but important, subject.

Josh Cohn

Oct 14, 2015, 4:48:06 PM10/14/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
i use a small piece of duct tape tbh works great

Gs Feder

Oct 21, 2015, 7:54:03 PM10/21/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

2 secretprobation

Oct 22, 2015, 7:33:29 AM10/22/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

Gs Feder

Oct 22, 2015, 8:24:22 AM10/22/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
After that link, click on blogs -- it's the first article.

Cheers,

-- Greg

namfos

Oct 22, 2015, 9:07:04 AM10/22/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Go sign up for bit.ly or some other URL shortener  - put an end to link wackiness! ;-) Link below is now shortened as http://bit.ly/1OKwzgu

Mark

Greg Feder

Oct 22, 2015, 9:09:29 AM10/22/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Mark.  I was on my phone and was having a hard enough time toggling between screens.

Cheers,

-- Greg

Oct 22, 2015, 3:49:27 PM10/22/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I played with the slinky indicators a few times after I read about in George Daniel's book Dynamic Nymphing. I bought a doll rod boiled some 12lb mono then wraped it around the rod. I put in the freezer overnight and it came out decent. It didn't look as good as the ones in the book but it definitely worked.I used on a very slow moving section of the little Juanita river that had a lot of suspended fish. I hook several fish with the sinky rig and a little PT. It floats well and its obvious when you get an eat.

Andrew LaVigne

Oct 22, 2015, 5:48:09 PM10/22/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Late to the party here, but for any nymph above the bottom foot of water column, I actually really like those little press-on Palsa things in white. A guide on the White River in Arkansas turned me on to those about 10 years ago, using a half of one to suspend a zebra midge without spooking the fish, and I've used them almost exclusively since, at least in small/flat water. For bigger/choppy streams or really deep/heavy rigs, those barrel ones with the rubber tubing were my standard. I have a pack of the yarn type i'm going to try soon as well, but when it's flat/still/small, still using the stick-ons.

namfos

Oct 23, 2015, 11:26:13 AM10/23/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

I don't have that problem:

 :-)

Dalton Terrell

Dec 11, 2015, 9:36:57 AM12/11/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

I came across a new style indicator in Wyoming from the brand Airlock. The design is basically like a Thingamabobber, but instead of a metal ring to slide line through and loop, it has a little plastic screw with a slit, a rubber washer and plastic bolt. These are way easier to rig than the Thingamabobber, don't nick up your leader at all, and are very easily adjustable. I have no connection to the company but like the product for heavier nymphs when I don't need to be stealthy.

D. Walker

Dec 11, 2015, 12:14:25 PM12/11/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Does anyone used Loon Biostrike>?   I just bought some on a whim and curious about how it performs

arthur noglak

Dec 12, 2015, 3:08:26 PM12/12/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I used these indicators for the first time this year on the West branch on the Delaware river. they worked very well and obviously did not kink the butt section of my leader. Also very easy to move them up and down the leader. The only down side was that they are considerably heavier than thingamabobber in the same size. It was a lot more difficult to roll cast them more than 30 ft with a double nymph rig and split shot.

Art

TurbineBlade

Dec 12, 2015, 4:19:31 PM12/12/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Art -- sounds like an 8-weight game, and not too dissimilar from my maiden steelhead experience ;).

Gene

cjthelder

Dec 13, 2015, 5:51:15 PM12/13/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

I use Biostrike, and like it a lot. It only takes a little and you can roll a bit of it out on your leader where you want, in the shape of a small torpedo. Doesn't get hung up or cause line snarls, which is a problem (for me) with any other type I've tried. I use the bright orange, and it is quite visible.

TurbineBlade

Dec 14, 2015, 5:15:51 AM12/14/15
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I don't have much trouble with the current line of thingas, but I do agree that the kinking on the butt or mid section of leader is annoying.  I may have to try those airline ones when I break or lose the thingas.  I concede there are times when a foam dry won't do the trick to support the weight needed.

Gene

Carl Z.

Dec 14, 2015, 12:00:32 PM12/14/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I have used biostrike and I like it, but in cold weather you have to keep it in a shirt pocket or it gets hard.  That's the trick of it, in your hands it gets soft but once you get it into the cold water, it firms up.

I like the fact you can choose how much to put on.  I don't like the fact that sometimes it leaves sticky orange bits on your leader.  This happens most to me when I am adjusting the depth of my nymph.
I also seem to cast it off sometimes and need to put more on.

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Rob Snowhite

Dec 14, 2015, 12:53:40 PM12/14/15
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I've been using float master for a while. Great product.

Sent from my iPhone