Constitution Gardens

Texican

Jun 23, 2013, 10:51:47 PM6/23/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hit Constitution Gardens today to change things up Sunday.  After the rain, the water was cloudy so sight casting was out of the question.  Caught this guy up against the wall at the far East end of the pond.  A nice surprise after being skunked at GP on Saturday.  About 13 inches and as always, fun!

BTW, I've seen a couple of brown and I think white snakes in the water both at 4MR and GP recently.  The one at GP was in the seam near the outflow and didn't seem particularly scared.  Anyone have a clue what these might be and generally what one might encounter at these places.  Considering that's two snakes in two weekends, I'm guessing I'll see more and just being cautious. Oh, and I saw either three snakeheads or the same snakehead three times surfacing at GP against the wall about 1 hr after high tide.  One of these days.....

tight lines - John
photo (1).JPG

TurbineBlade

Jun 24, 2013, 4:14:39 AM6/24/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I'd guess some Nerodia species is most likely on the snake(s) you saw.  In MO the most common was N. sipedon, but I don't know what species is most common around here.  All basically fill the same niche.

Harmless, but very prone to biting and musking if grasped at some point along the body.  Oddly, the ones I've kept in the lab would feed immediately after biting/musking, so they don't seem to be too stressed about it -- it's just an innate reaction to be grabbed....probably developed in response to avian predators.

Gene

Charles Chi

Jun 24, 2013, 9:42:15 AM6/24/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
At 4MR, this brown water snake came shooting out from under my feet and attacked a LMB that I just brought in. I grabbed my phone as fast as I could and started recording.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eVUd-_rMqQ

--
http://www.tpfr.org

namfos

Jun 24, 2013, 10:02:57 AM6/24/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
FWIW, it's fascinating to watch a watersnake ingest a fish.

Mark

Michael Smith

Jun 24, 2013, 10:08:31 AM6/24/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Scott Stankus

Jun 24, 2013, 10:10:01 AM6/24/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Mark.

--Scott

--
http://www.tpfr.org

"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don't"
IMG_2638r.JPG
IMG_2639r.JPG
IMG_2653r.JPG
IMG_2659r.JPG
IMG_2668r.JPG
IMG_2675r.JPG
IMG_2681r.JPG

Greg Feder

Jun 24, 2013, 10:15:21 AM6/24/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Scott --

Those are fantastic pictures.  What is the time frame?  I.e., how long did it take for that snake to swallow that fella?

Cheers,

-- Greg

On Monday, June 24, 2013 9:42:15 AM UTC-4, charlie wrote:
At 4MR, this brown water snake came shooting out from under my feet and attacked a LMB that I just brought in. I grabbed my phone as fast as I could and started recording.

Scott Stankus

Jun 24, 2013, 10:18:59 AM6/24/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. I'd have to look at the original photos (which are on my home computer), but I recall it being well over an hour.

--Scott

Eric Y.

Bob Smith

Jun 24, 2013, 4:32:41 PM6/24/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
You grabbed your phone and.....Started dragging the bass around over mud and rocks, back and forth, letting the snake chomp on it...... Was it fun?

Bob Smith

Richard Farino

Jun 25, 2013, 12:10:54 PM6/25/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Charlie,

I thought long and hard on a reply to your post, and I feel that although I don’t always like calling someone out on a local bulletin board, I feel this post is necessary here.

Even if you decided that it was cool that the snake took your caught fish and you decided to shoot video, the fact that you intentionally kept dragging the fish over to the snake, kept teasing the snake and torturing the fish, and let the bass flop around for a solid 2 minutes and 50 seconds out of the water is pretty indicative of your personality.

When I checked your YouTube videos further, I saw this video - http://youtu.be/e2lmiulVQEE

You should know that the possession of herring is prohibited - http://green.dc.gov/service/regulated-fishing-activities

I am not an administrator here nor do I reflect the views of this board and its owners, and I understand fully that direct attacks on this board are prohibited, but you’ll notice I’ve written nothing defamatory or libelous, which coming from a dude from the Bronx, is a miracle in and of itself.

Richard Farino

Urban Angler VA | 108 N. Washington Street  2nd Floor | Alexandria, VA 22314 Google_Maps_Marker

(703) 527-2524 | fax: (703) 527-3313 | ric...@urbanangler.com

Sent: Monday, June 24, 2013 9:42 AM
To: tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

At 4MR, this brown water snake came shooting out from under my feet and attacked a LMB that I just brought in. I grabbed my phone as fast as I could and started recording.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eVUd-_rMqQ

image001.png

Charles Chi

Jun 25, 2013, 12:27:08 PM6/25/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The other video was cut white perch. I know the laws and regulations. If it is illegal to use white perch, then I am wrong and did not research thoroughly enough.

As for the snake, the fish was still on the line and I wanted to get it off and was trying to get the snake away. I finally got it away and got the bass into the water as fast as I could. I was worried that he was out for so long, but he swam down and was safe.

image001.png

Richard Farino

Jun 25, 2013, 12:35:22 PM6/25/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

At the 43 second mark, you put a graphic on the screen that said Herring – I had the volume down and assumed you were catching herring for bait.  My apologies.

No need for an explanation about the snake and the fish.  The video is self explanatory.

image001.png

Charles Chi

Jun 25, 2013, 3:30:22 PM6/25/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Ricard,

Thanks for the apologies.
I've watched the video again and could understand how you can think that I am cruel to animals and get satisfaction in torturing innocent creatures. My maniacal laughter was just deafening over the sound of the water outflow. There are other ways that I could have handled that situation, but because it is obvious that there is a lack of understanding, I digress.

Bob,
I just saw your post. No it wasn't fun, I thought it might be a water moccasin and was trying to get the snake in the outflow to wash it away. It was both scary and intriguing.
image001.png

Rob Snowhite

Jun 25, 2013, 3:34:53 PM6/25/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Gene can chime in with more good info about water moccasins. What I can tell you is they don't live this far north, geographic distribution ends about north as the James river. I've seen loads of brown water snakes in this spot before. And too skinny for a copperhead of that length.

There's a snake in the plane Jacques

Sent from my iPhone

Richard Farino

Urban Angler VA | 108 N. Washington Street  2nd Floor | Alexandria, VA 22314 <image001.png>

--
http://www.tpfr.org

Charles Chi

Jun 25, 2013, 3:41:04 PM6/25/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, after that day, I looked it up and realized it was just a water snake... but that thing was bigger than any water snake that I've seen before.
Copperheads are easier to distinguish because of the triangular head.. just wasn't sure if water moccasins had that same trait.

Richard Farino

Jun 25, 2013, 4:14:12 PM6/25/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com

Charles,

Fishing is a blood sport and is something I understand completely.  I never said you were cruel to animals and get satisfaction torturing innocent creatures.  I won’t say that you could’ve handled the situation better because I believe you handled the situation exactly as you intended.  I think the point is made though, and I’ll end the discussion here.

I’m making it my goal in the future to educate instead of castigate.

Richard Farino

Urban Angler VA | 108 N. Washington Street  2nd Floor | Alexandria, VA 22314 Google_Maps_Marker

(703) 527-2524 | fax: (703) 527-3313 | ric...@urbanangler.com

Jun 25, 2013, 4:57:17 PM6/25/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I wouldn't call it a discussion, as that would entail at least some absorption on your part. Stick to your guns forever, I really don't care.
You claim that a video is indicative of my personality with the words tease and torture... what else does that imply? I tried to keep it civil with you on my first reply.
Your personality is that of an instigator, and you have brought me down to your level. You just can't stand to be wrong.
I hope you enjoyed your day of "About to call someone out for being a jachole on a local fly fishing forum. Wish me luck."
Craving for some attention maybe? I'm glad to help.

Anyway, you can tell all your fans that you won, I won't ever do that again.
Please reply and get the last word.. I know you will. (You can win again by not replying)

For everyone else... sorry about all this mess. After I took the hook out of the LMB, I did tell him, "Sorry buddy," and let him swim off.

image001.png

Bob Smith

Jun 26, 2013, 6:58:30 AM6/26/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
"Bob,
I just saw your post. No it wasn't fun, I thought it might be a water moccasin and was trying to get the snake in the outflow to wash it away. It was both scary and intriguing.  "

Asking if it was fun was sarcasm, as I feel as Richard does about the video. At one point you lift the fish a good way up to you. You could have just lifted the bass out of there immediately and let it go. After your reply that you were trying to get the fish off and get the snake away I showed the vid. to several people without commenting on it. Not one thought you were doing anything but playing around with the snake and the fish. It looks bad.

Regarding your last post to Richard, it kind of goes hand in glove with your video.

My last words on this.

Bob Smith

TurbineBlade

Jun 26, 2013, 7:25:33 AM6/26/13
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Many of the visual "keys" for venomous snake species are very subjective and unreliable.  For example, many snakes (including non-venomous species) are capable of flattening their heads (and bodies) as a defense mechanism.  Others, such as coloration and pattern can be extremely variable.  Look at the patterns below for the Eastern Hognose snake.....the picture of the guy holding the really pretty one is me at Assateague a few years ago (attachment 91).  All of the pics below are the same species --

I've included a few cottonmouths from Crane Co. Missouri for reference as well (attached).  I worked closely with this species while pursuing a pointless degree between 2006-2008 and will vouch that they are fairly typical of the pit vipers -- lazy, energy-conserving, and very unlikely to bite unless physically grasped.  The stories I've heard about this species do not in any way mesh with my experience with them, and I'd encourage anyone who is forced to listen to someone tell stories about "cottonmouths attacking canoes" and "coming right for me" to ask the person how much they had to drink that day.

Gene
n34317927_32498541_3928.jpg
n34317927_31053381_8226.jpg
091.JPG