FLNW

Alexander Hayes

Nov 5, 2019, 12:20:59 PM11/5/19
to TALO
one.jpg

Leigh Blackall

Nov 6, 2019, 1:42:34 AM11/6/19
to teachAndL...@googlegroups.com
Such a good poster!

On Wed., 6 Nov. 2019, 4:20 am Alexander Hayes, <al...@alexanderhayes.com> wrote:

TALO Links

Alexander Hayes
+61 427996984

TALO Links

Peter Allen

Aug 25, 2023, 2:39:19 AM8/25/23
to teachandl...@googlegroups.com

Hi Rose,

Good to hear from you (and Alex of course) - funnily enough last week I was thinking about TALO and was wondering whatever happened to Leigh Blackall - a quick look on Facebook found he was living the alternative treechange lifestyle in the Dandenongs. Good on him!

Back then I don’t think the vision we had was the reality we have today - I haven’t kept up with the state of play, but it seems face-to-face teaching (in the adult ed. sphere) is now only available to the affluent, and online learning (of differing quality) is available for the rest of us.

AI is a whole new can of worms - I think that AI will become a ubiquitous tool used in personal and professional life - especially as it becomes more sophisticated. (and to think my year 6 and 7 teachers made us use logarithm books in case these new-fangled calculators might just be a fad.)

I’ve dabbled with ChatGPT and Nightcafe (text to art AI) – It’s amazing what it can do, and also how intuitive it isn’t.

One issue I don’t think we fully appreciated back then is just how important identity and security is in today’s internet landscape. Due to data breaches at Optus I’ve had to get a new driver’s license, and I’ve come to realize that my mobile and its number is now a crucial to internet identity security - and it worries me that scammers can easily port your number away from your phone and steal EVERYTHING you have. I think online learning needs to rethink identity verification. – (I can read the headline now - “ChatGPT did my masters for me”).  [ see https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-06-16/sos-warning-first-sign-of-identity-theft-mobile-phone-porting/102316168 ]

My interest in TALO was always what tools and insights TALO could offer the educator at the coalface, and also the window it provided into what others were doing that was innovative and pushing the boundaries.

I don’t do chalk-and-talk anymore, I did develop some Moodle courses for an NGO and now happily retired.

In retirement, I’ve developed and facilitated an interest group in Electronic Music Open Mic sessions using a model developed in the UK and using Facebook groups to develop a group here in Adelaide. [see https://youtu.be/sdeiXSJPL_Y?si=nK2tCYcCP6YmPE3z ]

Currently I’m obsessed about something I discovered just the other day - there’s a group in the UK that use Drones with infra-red thermal sensors to find Lost dogs. They organize drone pilots and volunteer searchers to find these lost dogs. I’d love to start something like that here in Oz.   [ https://youtu.be/dtmo5Map5Iw?si=ComNOVAGjsoI3Djm ]

Anyway, looking forward to what everybody else is up to!

Cheers

Peter A

Alexander Hayes

Aug 25, 2023, 2:44:59 AM8/25/23
to teachandl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

Thanks for your great feedback.

I've been developing illustrations for novels using Patience.ai and Snowpixel since the beginning of last year - https://acad.men/trigger-warning (all processed with ChatGPT-4 and illustrations by AI)

In 2013 I met with the late Marvin Minsky ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Minsky ) when I was Publicity Chair for this event I organised - https://site.ieee.org/istas-2013/

I've written extensively about TALO and all your contributions in my PhD thesis available here - https://ro.uow.edu.au/theses1/853/

I'm catching up with Leigh in October in Eldorado, Victoria where he now lives (not the Dandenongs).

Kind regards,

Dr. Alexander Hayes
BA (Education), BA (Art), BFA (Hons), PhD (Computing & Information Technology)

Research, Information Systems & Data Management Consultant

_______

I acknowledge the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and their communities, who are the traditional custodians and foundation for this Country, upon which I live and meet. This requires me and all peoples to maintain, to protect and uphold with respect, the enduring Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander culture which underpins all aspects of our lives in Australia.
________

This email (including any attached files) is confidential and is for the intended recipient(s) only. If you received this email by mistake, please, as a courtesy, tell the sender, then delete this email. Although all reasonable precautions were taken to ensure that this email contained no viruses at the time it was sent, Alexander Hayes accepts no liability for any losses arising from opening it upon its receipt.