SymPy 1.4 release candidate 1 ready for testing

Aaron Meurer

Apr 1, 2019, 11:44:38 PM4/1/19
to sympy
The SymPy 1.4 release candidate 1 is ready for testing. Please
download it and let us know if you have any issues.

The release can be downloaded from
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/releases/tag/sympy-1.4rc1.

The release notes for 1.4 are at
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/release-notes-for-1.4. Feel free
to edit that wiki page if you see any improvements that need to be
made.

Aaron Meurer

Ondřej Čertík

Apr 2, 2019, 5:12:58 PM4/2/19
to sympy
I changed "Note: Do not download the Source code (zip) or the Source code (tar.gz)
files above." to "Note: Do not download the Source code (zip) or the Source code (tar.gz)
files below.".

Because the files are now below.

Ondrej

Aaron Meurer

Apr 2, 2019, 5:14:44 PM4/2/19
to sympy
Thanks. GitHub recently changed that, and I edited the old releases,
but I guess I forgot to update the release script. I wish they would
just let us remove those entirely from the release pages.

Aaron Meurer

Oscar Benjamin

Apr 2, 2019, 5:28:10 PM4/2/19
to sympy
I think it is now possible to upload pre-releases to PyPI so that
users can ask pip to install them:
https://pip.pypa.io/en/stable/reference/pip_install/#pre-release-versions
https://packaging.python.org/guides/distributing-packages-using-setuptools/#pre-release-versioning

Also most Python projects these days provide wheels. Maybe SymPy
should do the same.

--
Oscar
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CAKgW%3D6%2BKsDgH4TAd-wWcTKe-KpRnhB3PY-dgUxr2p%2Biavm%2Bh7g%40mail.gmail.com.

Aaron Meurer

Apr 2, 2019, 5:38:01 PM4/2/19
to sympy
I should look into prereleases. I've shied away from them in the past
because pip used to install them by default. But I think things are
better now. I also should get wheels working. I think it should be an
easy thing to add to the release script. I'll look into if it is
possible.

Aaron Meurer
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CAHVvXxTy2MB98beeNbP-Vxv%3DngZ9V3i6JoJPp%3DJQDqw%3DQuLB%2BQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Nathan Goldbaum

Apr 2, 2019, 5:39:10 PM4/2/19
to sy...@googlegroups.com
It would also be really nice to set up wheels for fastcache. I’ve had it on my todo list forever.

Oscar Benjamin

Apr 2, 2019, 6:04:33 PM4/2/19
to sympy
Making a wheel is not hard:

$ pip install wheel
$ python setup.py bdist_wheel
$ ls dist/
sympy-1.4rc1-py3-none-any.whl

--
Oscar
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CAJXewO%3DSeTKVKA5uanA3tn2JbYrFDpX-teL2d%2B%2BKp45U8LHdBw%40mail.gmail.com.

Ondřej Čertík

Apr 2, 2019, 6:04:37 PM4/2/19
to sympy

On Mon, Apr 1, 2019, at 9:44 PM, Aaron Meurer wrote:
I tested on Ubuntu 18.04, and I noticed that three tests passed even though they are xfailed, but otherwise everything works.

________________________________ slowest tests _________________________________
test_principal_value - Took 10.110 seconds
test_to_meijerg - Took 10.205 seconds
test_separable5 - Took 10.416 seconds
test_nth_order_linear_euler_eq_nonhomogeneous_variation_of_parameters - Took 10.479 seconds
test_gaunt - Took 10.622 seconds
test_oddness_in_ternary_integer_product_with_odd - Took 10.639 seconds
test_Beam3D - Took 11.535 seconds
test_solve_ics - Took 11.542 seconds
test_W19 - Took 14.645 seconds
test_matplotlib - Took 16.841 seconds
test_nth_order_reducible - Took 24.738 seconds
test_matplotlib_5 - Took 49.647 seconds
test_matplotlib_4 - Took 53.922 seconds
________________________________ xpassed tests _________________________________
sympy/integrals/tests/test_heurisch.py: test_pmint_erf
sympy/matrices/tests/test_matrices.py: test_issue_3959
sympy/utilities/tests/test_wester.py: test_V12

tests finished: 8086 passed, 245 skipped, 358 expected to fail,
3 expected to fail but passed, in 2324.26 seconds

Ondrej

Aaron Meurer

Apr 2, 2019, 6:08:42 PM4/2/19
to sympy
I am working on adding wheel support to the release script. I might do
an rc2 that the same as rc1 but includes a wheel to make sure it works
right.

Regarding the XPASS tests, yes, we need to go in and clean those up.
Possibly some of them only fail sometimes. I think there were some
issues with tests that only fail in Python 2 or only in Python 3, but
I don't know if that's the case for these ones.

Aaron Meurer

Aaron Meurer

Apr 4, 2019, 6:46:26 PM4/4/19
to sympy
I have made a second release candidate
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/releases/tag/sympy-1.4rc2.

The differences from the first release candidate are:

- A wheel is now included in addition to the source tarball
- The pyglet module now works again. There are still a lot of bugs
with it, but it is no longer completely broken.
- Fix the Octave code generation of the incomplete gamma function

If none of these changes affect you and you already tested 1.4rc1 you
should be fine.

If you haven't tested the release candidate yet, please test the
release candidate 2. Barring any further issues I will do the final
1.4 release next week.

Aaron Meurer

Sidhant Nagpal

Apr 7, 2019, 12:31:40 PM4/7/19
to sympy
For the second release candidate, should the size of tabulated assets
be updated to be consistent with the size of (attached) binaries?

Sidhant Nagpal
> > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to sy...@googlegroups.com.

Aaron Meurer

Apr 7, 2019, 2:30:58 PM4/7/19
to sympy
Yes. The sizes are computed using du -h, which I guess uses megabytes
instead of mebibytes. It also also must be rounding up. The tarball is
6018143 bytes, which is listed as 6.1 MB. We should probably switch to
a better method of computing the filesizes.

Aaron Meurer