GSoC Organization Applications Open

Aaron Meurer

Jan 29, 2021, 5:14:26 PM1/29/21
to sympy
The GSoC 20201 Organization applications are now open.

**If you are a student interested in applying, please send a separate
message to this list.**

The deadline for the application is February 19. See
https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/how-it-works/#timeline.

First off, anyone who is interested in mentoring, please add your name
to the list of potential mentors at
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-Ideas#potential-mentors. I
encourage students from previous years to consider mentoring this
year. It is important to add your name there, as Google looks at how
many mentors we have when considering our application. Even if you are
unsure if you can mentor, or would only be interested in mentoring,
please add your name there (whether or not you actually mentor will be
up to you and will be based on if there is an actual application for a
project you want to mentor). I cleared the names from last year, so if
you mentored in the past you should re-add yourself to confirm that
you can mentor again this year.

Note that there is an important update to the GSoC rules this year.
GSoC projects are expected to take up 175 hours over the three month
period. Previously it was 350 hours. This should make things more
accommodating for students who have exams in the middle of the summer.
This means we should reduce the scope of any larger ideas, and also
take this into consideration when reviewing proposals.

I have updated the wiki to remove the years from the ideas page,
application template, and student instructions pages URLs (if you want
see the previous versions of these pages, look at the wiki git
history). They are at

https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-Ideas
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-Student-Instructions
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-Application-Template

Please go over those pages and update them. The ideas page in
particular needs to be updated, so that any ideas that are not
relevant any more are updated or removed. If you know of an idea on
the page that is no longer accurate, please update it. If you have an
idea not on there, add it too (if you are unsure about the idea, you
can discuss it here first).

I am also in the process of updating the org application itself at
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-2021-Organization-Application.
Comments and edits on this are welcome too.

Aaron Meurer

Oscar Benjamin

Jan 29, 2021, 6:20:21 PM1/29/21
to sympy
Thanks Aaron for sorting this.

I've removed the ODE systems idea from the ideas page as it has been
mostly sorted out by Milan Jolly last year. There is still work to do
but it is not such a high priority after Milan's work.

The change to 175hrs which is basically 5 actual weeks which places
quite significant limits on what could be achieved. We should think
about how to break up a lot of these ideas and make them more
manageable. For example the highest priority ideas are probably things
like the Risch algorithm, Cylindrical Algebraic Decomposition, Karr
etc. Each of those is way beyond 5 weeks though - we shouldn't bother
listing them there unless we can distil the idea down to more
carefully described steps that are actually achievable.

I think that it would be good to move all of these ideas to a page
like "old ideas" and say that if anyone wants to rejuvenate the idea
then it should be updated and reframed in a way that is suitable to
the new GSOC arrangement before being moved to the new ideas page.
Bigger goals like the Risch algorithm should be moved to something
like a "big ideas" page. Any ideas listed for GSOC need to be specific
and achievable. Open ended ideas should go somewhere else I think.

As an example there is a project listed for factorising multivariate
polynomials:
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-Ideas#multivariate-polynomials-and-factorization
That description must be fairly old and is too open-ended I think for
GSOC now. I recently proposed something related that is more direct
and achievable:
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/issues/20874
Implementing that would solve a high-priority issue and I think that
for the right student concrete progress would be achievable.

To any potential students who are interested in these ideas please ask
about them on the mailing list before making a proposal. The list as
it stands does not adequately reflect the fact that some ideas are
much harder than others and also some are much more important than
others. Also many of the idea descriptions are out of date and do not
reflect the current state of sympy.

Oscar

Aaron Meurer

Jan 29, 2021, 6:32:42 PM1/29/21
to sympy
On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 4:20 PM Oscar Benjamin
<oscar.j....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Aaron for sorting this.
>
> I've removed the ODE systems idea from the ideas page as it has been
> mostly sorted out by Milan Jolly last year. There is still work to do
> but it is not such a high priority after Milan's work.
>
> The change to 175hrs which is basically 5 actual weeks which places
> quite significant limits on what could be achieved. We should think
> about how to break up a lot of these ideas and make them more
> manageable. For example the highest priority ideas are probably things
> like the Risch algorithm, Cylindrical Algebraic Decomposition, Karr
> etc. Each of those is way beyond 5 weeks though - we shouldn't bother
> listing them there unless we can distil the idea down to more
> carefully described steps that are actually achievable.

Yes, although I would argue that that has already been a problem. We
haven't had much interest in these problems because they are too
unapproachable. I don't know if they can be split into smaller
problems, and if doing so would make them more approachable (there's
also the issue that they are mathematically hard). Most likely for
such things we would have to accept that a partial or incomplete
implementation is acceptable. We already have had that to some degree
with RUBI, which has had several GSoC projects but still isn't
actually usable.

> I think that it would be good to move all of these ideas to a page
> like "old ideas" and say that if anyone wants to rejuvenate the idea
> then it should be updated and reframed in a way that is suitable to
> the new GSOC arrangement before being moved to the new ideas page.
> Bigger goals like the Risch algorithm should be moved to something
> like a "big ideas" page. Any ideas listed for GSOC need to be specific
> and achievable. Open ended ideas should go somewhere else I think.

Feel free to refactor the page however you see fit. I deleted the old
years pages because they were only confusing.

> As an example there is a project listed for factorising multivariate
> polynomials:
> https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-Ideas#multivariate-polynomials-and-factorization
> That description must be fairly old and is too open-ended I think for
> GSOC now. I recently proposed something related that is more direct
> and achievable:
> https://github.com/sympy/sympy/issues/20874
> Implementing that would solve a high-priority issue and I think that
> for the right student concrete progress would be achievable.

The factoring idea lists some algorithms, which presumably still
aren't implemented but would help. I think it's useful to list
explicit algorithms that can be implemented. Listing specific
algorithms and specific papers helps to make the more mathematically
sophisticated ideas more approachable and less open ended.

Aaron Meurer
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CAHVvXxTN6Teriv3KnT2PyDM7ZOdxPtGGT3yFQPY-v7jMb8qKaQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Oscar Benjamin

Jan 29, 2021, 7:55:31 PM1/29/21
to sympy
On Fri, 29 Jan 2021 at 23:32, Aaron Meurer <asme...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 4:20 PM Oscar Benjamin
> <oscar.j....@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks Aaron for sorting this.
> >
> > I've removed the ODE systems idea from the ideas page as it has been
> > mostly sorted out by Milan Jolly last year. There is still work to do
> > but it is not such a high priority after Milan's work.
> >
> > The change to 175hrs which is basically 5 actual weeks which places
> > quite significant limits on what could be achieved. We should think
> > about how to break up a lot of these ideas and make them more
> > manageable. For example the highest priority ideas are probably things
> > like the Risch algorithm, Cylindrical Algebraic Decomposition, Karr
> > etc. Each of those is way beyond 5 weeks though - we shouldn't bother
> > listing them there unless we can distil the idea down to more
> > carefully described steps that are actually achievable.
>
> Yes, although I would argue that that has already been a problem. We
> haven't had much interest in these problems because they are too
> unapproachable. I don't know if they can be split into smaller
> problems, and if doing so would make them more approachable (there's
> also the issue that they are mathematically hard).

I think that these problems would be more approachable if there was
clear documentation explaining:

1. What is already implemented
2. What should ideally be implemented
3. What the next steps should be
4. Where to find more information

The problem is when we have something like the Risch algorithm that is
partially implemented but it is difficult for any newcomer to
understand what should actually be done to take it further. Listing
the idea of "implementing the algorithm" in the GSOC page isn't very
helpful if it doesn't represent any manageable piece of work.

> > I think that it would be good to move all of these ideas to a page
> > like "old ideas" and say that if anyone wants to rejuvenate the idea
> > then it should be updated and reframed in a way that is suitable to
> > the new GSOC arrangement before being moved to the new ideas page.
> > Bigger goals like the Risch algorithm should be moved to something
> > like a "big ideas" page. Any ideas listed for GSOC need to be specific
> > and achievable. Open ended ideas should go somewhere else I think.
>
> Feel free to refactor the page however you see fit. I deleted the old
> years pages because they were only confusing.

Thanks for doing that.

I guess what I'm saying is that we shouldn't allow any ideas to "roll
over" from one year to another. I think that the ideas page should
always be a page of up to date fresh proposals presented by currently
available mentors.

Or perhaps there should be a separation where there is a page of
general "ideas" and then another page of off the shelf "projects" that
are suitable for the GSOC timeline.

Either way if we want to make the most of GSOC then I think we could
do better by giving better guidance to students.

Oscar

Aaron Meurer

Feb 12, 2021, 4:39:00 PM2/12/21
to sympy
Reminder that our deadline to submit our application to Google is Feb
19 (a week from today). I plan on working on the application next
week, but if anyone can volunteer to go through and clean up the ideas
page, that would be really helpful. Also reminder that if you are
potentially interested in mentoring to please add your name to list
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-Ideas#potential-mentors

Aaron Meurer

On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 5:55 PM Oscar Benjamin

Psycho-Pirate

Feb 12, 2021, 5:10:08 PM2/12/21
to sympy
Hey Aaron,
I would like to help clean up the ideas page. Please let me know how you want me to proceed. Should I just search the tags related to ideas and see how much work has been done and how much can be done in the given coding period?

Prakhar Saxena

Gagandeep Singh (B17CS021)

Feb 16, 2021, 3:22:01 AM2/16/21
to sy...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Ideas for Probability and Statistics are updated. Please visit, https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-Ideas#probability

Thanks.

--
With regards,
Gagandeep Singh

Naman Nimmo

Feb 16, 2021, 9:11:06 AM2/16/21
to sy...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone.

I have also updated the GSoC ideas page by adding another physics-related idea on Control theory.

Since the Control module was added to SymPy last summer, it would be great to attract some users as it can turn out to be quite useful to them.
Other fixes/features are also appreciated because of its early stages. :-)

Have an amazing week!

Gagandeep Singh (B17CS021)

Feb 16, 2021, 9:44:40 AM2/16/21
to sy...@googlegroups.com
Is it only me or does the ideas page is really showing HTML code instead of parsed markdown output.

mohit balwani

Feb 16, 2021, 10:08:33 AM2/16/21
to sy...@googlegroups.com
For me also it is showing html

Aaron Meurer

Feb 17, 2021, 5:27:48 PM2/17/21
to sympy
I have updated our application for this year
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-2021-Organization-Application.
If anyone has any comments on it, let me know. If you edit that page,
please make sure to ping me, as I will need to re-enter it on the
Google site. The deadline to submit is Friday.

Two important changes that I made in there are:

- I have decide to make it our official policy that mentors can only
be primary mentor on project and backup or co-mentor on at most two
projects.
- I have reduced the blog requirement from weekly to every other week.
This is due to the reduced total project hours for this year.

As always, please help update the ideas page
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-Ideas. Note that ideas should
be only for 175 hours this year (previously it was 350 hours). So if
an idea is too long for this, it should be split up or reduced. And if
you are able to mentor, please add yourself to the list
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-Ideas#potential-mentors

I am also going to update the application template
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-Application-Template and
instructions https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-Student-Instructions
accordingly. If anyone has any comments on that, feel free to let me
know (or just edit them).

Aaron Meurer
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sympy/CAGoPB%2BtPnhDPYwhWrSf5JJXdetSwiCjagCuqVVnWXiNE8nNJig%40mail.gmail.com.

Oscar Benjamin

Feb 17, 2021, 5:39:38 PM2/17/21
to sympy
On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 at 22:28, Aaron Meurer <asme...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have updated our application for this year
> https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-2021-Organization-Application.
> If anyone has any comments on it, let me know. If you edit that page,
> please make sure to ping me, as I will need to re-enter it on the
> Google site. The deadline to submit is Friday.
>
> Two important changes that I made in there are:
>
> - I have decide to make it our official policy that mentors can only
> be primary mentor on project and backup or co-mentor on at most two
> projects.

Thanks Aaron. I guess that should say mentors can only be primary
mentor on *one* project. I think that's a reasonable requirement.

If the deadline is Friday then it's too late for last minute changes
to the ideas page (although it should still be updated for next year).

Good luck to all applying!

Oscar

Aaron Meurer

Feb 17, 2021, 6:24:10 PM2/17/21
to sympy
On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 3:39 PM Oscar Benjamin
<oscar.j....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 at 22:28, Aaron Meurer <asme...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I have updated our application for this year
> > https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-2021-Organization-Application.
> > If anyone has any comments on it, let me know. If you edit that page,
> > please make sure to ping me, as I will need to re-enter it on the
> > Google site. The deadline to submit is Friday.
> >
> > Two important changes that I made in there are:
> >
> > - I have decide to make it our official policy that mentors can only
> > be primary mentor on project and backup or co-mentor on at most two
> > projects.
>
> Thanks Aaron. I guess that should say mentors can only be primary
> mentor on *one* project. I think that's a reasonable requirement.

This is the wording I used on the application:

"Each project will have one or more backup or co-mentors, and no one
will be allowed to be a primary mentor on more than one project, or a
backup or co-mentor on more than two projects."

Is that clear enough or should we reword it? I meant that someone can
be a primary mentor for one project, but they can also co-mentor or
backup mentor another project. Or someone can backup mentor two
projects and not be a primary mentor on any project.

(note that this specific question on the application is right at the
1000 character limit, so I've had to make everything very terse to fit
all the content in the answer)

> If the deadline is Friday then it's too late for last minute changes
> to the ideas page (although it should still be updated for next year).

The ideas page isn't submitted in the Google site. It's just included
in the application as a link to the page on the wiki. So we can still
update it, and we should. Google will look at the ideas page when they
review the applications (since the deadline is Friday, they most
likely won't even look at them until Monday). But more importantly,
students will look at the ideas page. So if there are ideas that need
to be updated, we should update them.

Aaron Meurer

> Good luck to all applying!
>

> Oscar

Oscar Benjamin

Feb 17, 2021, 6:48:32 PM2/17/21
to sympy
On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 at 23:24, Aaron Meurer <asme...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 3:39 PM Oscar Benjamin
> <oscar.j....@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 at 22:28, Aaron Meurer <asme...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I have updated our application for this year
> > > https://github.com/sympy/sympy/wiki/GSoC-2021-Organization-Application.
> > > If anyone has any comments on it, let me know. If you edit that page,
> > > please make sure to ping me, as I will need to re-enter it on the
> > > Google site. The deadline to submit is Friday.
> > >
> > > Two important changes that I made in there are:
> > >
> > > - I have decide to make it our official policy that mentors can only
> > > be primary mentor on project and backup or co-mentor on at most two
> > > projects.
> >
> > Thanks Aaron. I guess that should say mentors can only be primary
> > mentor on *one* project. I think that's a reasonable requirement.
>
> This is the wording I used on the application:
>
> "Each project will have one or more backup or co-mentors, and no one
> will be allowed to be a primary mentor on more than one project, or a
> backup or co-mentor on more than two projects."
>
> Is that clear enough or should we reword it?

I think that's fine. I was just highlighting the missing word "one".

> I meant that someone can
> be a primary mentor for one project, but they can also co-mentor or
> backup mentor another project. Or someone can backup mentor two
> projects and not be a primary mentor on any project.

The wording used does not quite imply this but it's fine. The
difference is that the wording allows someone to be a primary mentor
for one project and backup mentor for two others at the same time.

> > If the deadline is Friday then it's too late for last minute changes
> > to the ideas page (although it should still be updated for next year).
>
> The ideas page isn't submitted in the Google site. It's just included
> in the application as a link to the page on the wiki. So we can still
> update it, and we should. Google will look at the ideas page when they
> review the applications (since the deadline is Friday, they most
> likely won't even look at them until Monday). But more importantly,
> students will look at the ideas page. So if there are ideas that need
> to be updated, we should update them.

I agree but any student intending to submit by Friday should already
have a clear idea what they are planning to submit so it's too late to
make significant changes or suggest new ideas.

Oscar

Aaron Meurer

Feb 17, 2021, 8:52:26 PM2/17/21
to sy...@googlegroups.com
Friday is the deadline for *us* (SymPy) to submit our application to Google to be a mentoring organization. If they accept us, student applications will open on March 29 and their deadline is April 13. See

There is still time to update our ideas page. But ideally we should do it before Google reviews the applications, and definitely before they announce the participating organizations on March 9.

Aaron Meurer

Oscar