GSoC 2020: Introduction

Sumit Bisht

Mar 17, 2020, 1:32:06 PM3/17/20
to sympy
Greetings everyone,

I am a third-year student at Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani pursuing a dual major in M.Sc Mathematics and B.E. Computer Science. I have done the course on Abstract Algebra and have thoroughly studied it from Gallian's Contemporary Abstract Algebra. I have tried implementing a few computational algebraic algorithms from the Handbook of Computational Group Theory and found out about SymPy while working on them. I have also used the GAP library while working on the same.

I have been using python for the last 1.5 years implementing graph-theoretical algorithms. I have been working on a python-based program which helps in obtaining a rectangular dual from an input graph. I would like to contribute in Computational Group Theory in Sympy. I aim to implement the algorithms for quotient groups, automorphism groups and subgroup intersection inspired by their implementation in the GAP library. Further, I would also like to extend Divyanshu's work in polycyclic groups and implement those functionalities as discussed in Handbook of Computational Group Theory.

I look forward to contributing to this wonderful community this GSoC and extend the group theory functionality of the combinatorics module.

Thank you!

Aaron Meurer

Mar 17, 2020, 1:36:28 PM3/17/20
to sympy
If you are not aware, you should follow the group theory channel on
gitter https://gitter.im/sympy/GroupTheory

Aaron Meurer