GSoC 2019 Proposal: Differential Equations

28 peržiūros
Praleisti ir pereiti prie pirmo neskaityto pranešimo

gar...@hawk.iit.edu

neskaityta,
2019-04-06 14:55:172019-04-06
kam: sympy
Hi everyone,

My name is Grace Arnold and I'm a computer science major at the Illinois Institute of Technology. I have a few years of experience with Java and Python, and have taken the Differential Equations course. I'm interested in contributing to SymPy's Differential Equations methods. Specifically, I see that general linear systems of more than two equations was mentioned in the project ideas. I would love to contribute to this project, but if anyone could provide me with more direction regarding this project (i.e. more desirable functions to be implemented within differential equations), then I would be happy to hear them!

I will be working on my proposal and more ideas soon and will post them here, if anyone would like to read it and tell me what I can improve upon.

Thank you co much,
Grace Arnold

Oscar Benjamin

neskaityta,
2019-04-06 17:01:252019-04-06
kam: sympy
Hi Grace,

I don't know where it is you're looking to see the proposals for
differential equations but I can tell you that the ODE systems code is
a bit of a mess right now. See the label solvers.dsolve on Github for
relevant issues/PRs.

At the moment there are many methods for very specific types of ODE
but many are untested and/or don't work and many obvious cases are
missing. What is needed is some good more general methods. In some
cases I have tried to come up with examples but I can't come up with
any example where the method is useful.

If I was going to spend time fixing this then I would firstly:

1. Try to improve test coverage for the systems methods that are there
2. Fix the constant coeff homogeneous case (there are existing stalled
PRs) and a number of open issues
3. Remove as many of possible of the methods that are special cases of 2.
4. Handle the non-homogeneous version of 2 (and remove corresponding
special cases)
5. Add a generalised version of the nth_algebraic ODE solver that can
be used for simple ODE systems.

There will still be plenty more to do after that.

A good way to start working on this would be to identify the untested
methods and try to add tests for them. (If you run test_ode with
coverage testing enabled you can see which ones are covered).

--
Oscar

Aaron Meurer

neskaityta,
2019-04-06 17:14:112019-04-06
kam: sy...@googlegroups.com
Also please be aware of the patch requirement. The pull request should be submitted by the application deadline (it's ok if it isn't merged by then).

Aaron Meurer

Atsakyti visiems
Atsakyti autoriui
Persiųsti