The Federalist Papers

Vince

Apr 6, 2021, 11:43:01 PM4/6/21
to Standard Ebooks
I’m going to start working on The Federalist Papers. No questions, this just outlines how I’m handling the header information that PG has included.

The PG transcription includes the author, the paper and date in which the particular article first appeared, and a standard “To the People of the State of New York:” first paragraph.

It’s something of a cross between this:

and this:

that looks like this in the PG web site version:

Although perhaps not strictly necessary, I think having the paper and date of original publication is interesting historically, so I’m planning on keeping it. I’ve combined the author of the particular article and the paper into a bridgehead.

So, the overall structure, using the above as an example, is:
  • title—Federalist No. x—I’ve seen some editions with “Federalist No. y”, and some with just “y”, and both decimal and roman. Since we usually go for simplicity, and use roman (there are 85 articles, so it’s less than our 100 soft limit), I’m going to just use the number as roman.
  • subtitle—General Introduction
  • bridgehead—Hamilton: For the Independent Journal, Saturday, October 27, 1787.
  • To the People of the State of New York:—just the first paragraph. This one I’m rather ambivalent on. If you want to get rid of it, I’m good with it, but I’m planning on keeping it right now.

I’ve looked on all of the big three, and I haven’t found a scan that has all of the information in one place. I’m guessing PG assembled it from multiple places like the above.

The articles all end with the signature of “Publius”. I believe it’s legal to have a footer in the section, so I’ll treat it as a normal signature.

Alex Cabal

Apr 7, 2021, 3:25:31 PM4/7/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK!

On 4/6/21 10:42 PM, Vince wrote:
> I’m going to start working on /The Federalist Papers. /No questions,
> this just outlines how I’m handling the header information that PG has
> included.
> /
> /
> The PG transcription includes the author, the paper and date in which
> the particular article first appeared, and a standard “To the People of
> the State of New York:” first paragraph.
>
> It’s something of a cross between this:
>
> and this:
>
> that looks like this in the PG web site version:
>
> Although perhaps not strictly necessary, I think having the paper and
> date of original publication is interesting historically, so I’m
> planning on keeping it. I’ve combined the author of the particular
> article and the paper into a bridgehead.
>
> So, the overall structure, using the above as an example, is:
>
> * title—Federalist No. x—I’ve seen some editions with “Federalist No.
> y”, and some with just “y”, and both decimal and roman. Since we
> usually go for simplicity, and use roman (there are 85 articles, so
> it’s less than our 100 soft limit), I’m going to just use the number
> as roman.
> * subtitle—General Introduction
> * bridgehead—Hamilton: For the Independent Journal, Saturday, October
> 27, 1787.
> * To the People of the State of New York:—just the first paragraph.
> This one I’m rather ambivalent on. If you want to get rid of it, I’m
> good with it, but I’m planning on keeping it right now.
>

> I’ve looked on all of the big three, and I haven’t found a scan that has
> all of the information in one place. I’m guessing PG assembled it from
> multiple places like the above.
>
> The articles all end with the signature of “Publius”. I believe it’s
> legal to have a footer in the section, so I’ll treat it as a normal
> signature.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/292ECE6B-59B4-4E4C-B769-221DCB5E2311%40letterboxes.org
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/292ECE6B-59B4-4E4C-B769-221DCB5E2311%40letterboxes.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Vince

Apr 7, 2021, 5:09:14 PM4/7/21
to Standard Ebooks
For the cover, perhaps a portrait of one of the principals (both Hamilton and Madison are in the National Portrait Gallery)? I haven’t found one of both of those (or all three) together.

Something from Christy’s Signing of the Constitution that’s hanging in the Capitol would be great, but it was done in 1940. However, it was paid for by Congress. (See the Commissioning section in the Wiki entry.) Does that matter?

Vince

Apr 7, 2021, 5:27:16 PM4/7/21
to Standard Ebooks
Also, the default cover text isn’t centered vertically within the box.

Is that intentional, or is it OK to balance it?

Alex Cabal

Apr 7, 2021, 5:29:26 PM4/7/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Did you run create draft with multiple --author flags? That's how you
should invoke it here

On 4/7/21 4:27 PM, Vince wrote:
> Also, the default cover text isn’t centered vertically within the box.
>

> Is that intentional, or is it OK to balance it?
>
>> On Apr 7, 2021, at 4:09 PM, Vince <vr_se...@letterboxes.org
>> <mailto:vr_se...@letterboxes.org>> wrote:
>>
>> For the cover, perhaps a portrait of one of the principals (both
>> Hamilton and Madison are in the National Portrait Gallery)? I haven’t
>> found one of both of those (or all three) together.
>>
>> Something from Christy’s /Signing of the Constitution/ that’s hanging
>> in the Capitol would be great, but it was done in 1940. However, it
>> was paid for by Congress. (See the Commissioning section in the Wiki
>> entry
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scene_at_the_Signing_of_the_Constitution_of_the_United_States>.)
>> Does that matter?

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/D3C8B1ED-D0FD-4A85-8CB0-6A659ED81342%40letterboxes.org
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/D3C8B1ED-D0FD-4A85-8CB0-6A659ED81342%40letterboxes.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alex Cabal

Apr 7, 2021, 5:29:42 PM4/7/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
You can use that, federally-produced art is public domain

On 4/7/21 4:09 PM, Vince wrote:
> For the cover, perhaps a portrait of one of the principals (both
> Hamilton and Madison are in the National Portrait Gallery)? I haven’t
> found one of both of those (or all three) together.
>
> Something from Christy’s /Signing of the Constitution/ that’s hanging in
> the Capitol would be great, but it was done in 1940. However, it was
> paid for by Congress. (See the Commissioning section in the Wiki entry
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scene_at_the_Signing_of_the_Constitution_of_the_United_States>.)
> Does that matter?

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/F3BBA69E-5160-426C-BD1B-901166999A9C%40letterboxes.org
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/F3BBA69E-5160-426C-BD1B-901166999A9C%40letterboxes.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Vince

Apr 7, 2021, 5:34:48 PM4/7/21
to Standard Ebooks
Yes I did, the first one is what it produced. Well, actually, it put the “John” on the first line so I moved it to the second. Also, it doesn’t put a space after the comma’s in the names.

Vince

Apr 7, 2021, 5:37:50 PM4/7/21
to Standard Ebooks
Perfect, I thought (hoped) so, I thought I remembered you mentioning it on a work-program painting.

Hamilton’s on the left leaning into Franklin, Madison is seated to Franklin’s right.

Alex Cabal

Apr 7, 2021, 5:51:50 PM4/7/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
There was a bug in create-draft that did not accept multiple authors.
Pull from master and try it again and it should generate everything
correctly as long as you put each author in their own --author flag.

On 4/7/21 4:37 PM, Vince wrote:
> Perfect, I thought (hoped) so, I thought I remembered you mentioning it
> on a work-program painting.
>
> Hamilton’s on the left leaning into Franklin, Madison is seated to
> Franklin’s right.
>

>> On Apr 7, 2021, at 4:29 PM, Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org
>> <mailto:al...@standardebooks.org>> wrote:
>>
>> You can use that, federally-produced art is public domain
>>
>> On 4/7/21 4:09 PM, Vince wrote:
>>> For the cover, perhaps a portrait of one of the principals (both
>>> Hamilton and Madison are in the National Portrait Gallery)? I haven’t
>>> found one of both of those (or all three) together.
>>> Something from Christy’s /Signing of the Constitution/ that’s hanging
>>> in the Capitol would be great, but it was done in 1940. However, it
>>> was paid for by Congress. (See the Commissioning section in the Wiki
>>> entry
>>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scene_at_the_Signing_of_the_Constitution_of_the_United_States
>>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scene_at_the_Signing_of_the_Constitution_of_the_United_States>>.)
>>> Does that matter?

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/29AA2D70-0AB6-46C7-A644-CE80C374D181%40letterboxes.org
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/29AA2D70-0AB6-46C7-A644-CE80C374D181%40letterboxes.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Vince

Apr 7, 2021, 5:56:59 PM4/7/21
to Standard Ebooks
Wait, I just realized—you said multiple --author flags. No, I couldn’t get that to work; I played with that for quite a while the last time I had multiple authors. If I do:
se create-draft --author=“Alexander Hamilton” --author=“John Jay” --author=“James Madison” …
then it only picks up James Madison and throws the rest out. That is, only Madison is present in the repository name, in the content, in the URL, everywhere.

But, after looking at content.opf, I just realized what I did isn’t right, either. I put commas between the names.
se create-draft --author=“Alexander Hamilton”,“John Jay”,“James Madison” …

But, after some experimentation (apparently I didn’t remember what I did last time), I found this worked (the equal sign doesn’t work when there are multiple values); this gave me three separate author entries in content.
se create-draft --author “Alexander Hamilton” “John Jay” “James Madison” …

But, the cover for that actually comes out worse, i.e. now the last part of the last name is cutoff.

I assume I can move everything up a little to keep that from happening?

Alex Cabal

Apr 7, 2021, 6:01:59 PM4/7/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
OK, the last way you did it is correct. I don't think the tools ever
expected to have 3 authors so I think you should shrink the title font
size to the next level down, just like create-draft would have done for
a very long title

On 4/7/21 4:56 PM, Vince wrote:
> Wait, I just realized—you said multiple --author flags. No, I couldn’t
> get that to work; I played with that for quite a while the last time I
> had multiple authors. If I do:
> se create-draft --author=“Alexander Hamilton” --author=“John Jay”
> --author=“James Madison” …
> then it only picks up James Madison and throws the rest out. That is,
> only Madison is present in the repository name, in the content, in the
> URL, everywhere.
>
> But, after looking at content.opf, I just realized what I did isn’t
> right, either. I put commas between the names.
> se create-draft --author=“Alexander Hamilton”,“John Jay”,“James Madison” …
>
> But, after some experimentation (apparently I didn’t remember what I did
> last time), I found this worked (the equal sign doesn’t work when there
> are multiple values); this gave me three separate author entries in content.
> se create-draft --author “Alexander Hamilton” “John Jay” “James Madison” …
>
> But, the cover for that actually comes out worse, i.e. now the last part
> of the last name is cutoff.
>
> I assume I can move everything up a little to keep that from happening?
>
>> On Apr 7, 2021, at 4:34 PM, Vince <vr_se...@letterboxes.org
>> <mailto:vr_se...@letterboxes.org>> wrote:
>>
>> Yes I did, the first one is what it produced. Well, actually, it put
>> the “John” on the first line so I moved it to the second. Also, it
>> doesn’t put a space after the comma’s in the names.
>>

>>> On Apr 7, 2021, at 4:29 PM, Alex Cabal <al...@standardebooks.org
>>> <mailto:al...@standardebooks.org>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Did you run create draft with multiple --author flags? That's how you
>>> should invoke it here

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/42042685-161B-4145-A0EF-900569198732%40letterboxes.org
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/42042685-161B-4145-A0EF-900569198732%40letterboxes.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Vince

Apr 7, 2021, 6:02:30 PM4/7/21
to Standard Ebooks
Ahh, OK; our emails crossed in the ether, I got the same result a different way. The results of the cover are the same; see my other email.

Vince

Apr 7, 2021, 6:18:06 PM4/7/21
to Standard Ebooks
Got it. I still had to some manual adjusting, since the tools put “The Federalist Papers” on two lines, and it fits on one with the smaller font.

Vince

Apr 9, 2021, 10:00:48 PM4/9/21
to Standard Ebooks
The text has some history (see here in the Wiki); they obviously originally appeared in New York newspapers, then were assembled into a book, which then was published in several editions. Some of the editions incorporated “significant edits… generally with the approval of the authors.” In 1863, however, Henry Dawson put out an edition with the original text, saying they were written to a particular historical moment, and should therefore stand as they were written. That has largely been carried forward; both the edition edited by Henry Cabot Lodge that I’m using as scans (1889), and the one “modern scholars generally use” (1961) use the original text. It appears that PG used it as well; the text has matched exactly as I’ve been going through tagging italics (other than the normal occasional typos), and the subtitles in the PG transcript match those in the ToC of the Lodge edition.

All of that is to say, Lodge has a preface that touches on the authorship, the history of the various editions, and the text. I don’t think we care about the first two, but the third one is short (four pages), and the edition includes four or five footnotes of differences in the text that it gives some context to. Given the history of the papers and the text, I think that third portion is interesting and worthwhile to include as a preface. You can see it here.

Vince

Apr 10, 2021, 12:00:53 PM4/10/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Also, the first portion of Dawson’s Introduction in his edition is a good essay on why the papers exist, i.e. the circumstances and opposition to the Constitution leading up to their publication. Starting at the first full paragraph on page xxiii, it devolves into a length discussion of who wrote what, which I don’t think is relevant today. But the introduction up to that point would be a good addition, I think.

Alex Cabal

Apr 10, 2021, 2:49:13 PM4/10/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
That sounds fine

On 4/9/21 9:00 PM, Vince wrote:
> The text has some history (see here in the Wiki
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Federalist_Papers#Publication>); they
> <https://archive.org/details/federalistacomm02lodggoog/page/n46/mode/2up>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CA319C4F-D41F-4A78-9E35-B46C9A245EA9%40letterboxes.org
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/CA319C4F-D41F-4A78-9E35-B46C9A245EA9%40letterboxes.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Alex Cabal

Apr 10, 2021, 2:50:25 PM4/10/21

On 4/10/21 11:00 AM, Vince wrote:
> Also, the first portion of Dawson’s Introduction
> <https://archive.org/details/federalistcollec00unse_0/page/n15/mode/2up> in
> his edition is a good essay on why the papers exist, i.e. the
> circumstances and opposition to the Constitution leading up to their
> publication. Starting at the first full paragraph on page xxiii
> <https://archive.org/details/federalistcollec00unse_0/page/n29/mode/2up>, it
> devolves into a length discussion of who wrote what, which I don’t think
> is relevant today. But the introduction up to that point would be a good
> addition, I think.
>

>> On Apr 9, 2021, at 9:00 PM, Vince <vr_se...@letterboxes.org
>> <mailto:vr_se...@letterboxes.org>> wrote:
>>
>> The text has some history (see here in the Wiki
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Federalist_Papers#Publication>); they
>> obviously originally appeared in New York newspapers, then were
>> assembled into a book, which then was published in several editions.
>> Some of the editions incorporated “significant edits… generally with
>> the approval of the authors.” In 1863, however, Henry Dawson put out
>> an edition with the original text, saying they were written to a
>> particular historical moment, and should therefore stand as they were
>> written. That has largely been carried forward; both the edition
>> edited by Henry Cabot Lodge that I’m using as scans (1889), and the
>> one “modern scholars generally use” (1961) use the original text. It
>> appears that PG used it as well; the text has matched exactly as I’ve
>> been going through tagging italics (other than the normal occasional
>> typos), and the subtitles in the PG transcript match those in the ToC
>> of the Lodge edition.
>>
>> All of that is to say, Lodge has a preface that touches on the
>> authorship, the history of the various editions, and the text. I don’t
>> think we care about the first two, but the third one is short (four
>> pages), and the edition includes four or five footnotes of differences
>> in the text that it gives some context to. Given the history of the
>> papers and the text, I think that third portion is interesting and
>> worthwhile to include as a preface. You can see it here
>> <https://archive.org/details/federalistacomm02lodggoog/page/n46/mode/2up>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/2D92208D-B389-4734-8C2A-52D807446DF7%40letterboxes.org
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/2D92208D-B389-4734-8C2A-52D807446DF7%40letterboxes.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Vince

Apr 12, 2021, 7:54:55 PM4/12/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
This consistently uses “Magna Charta”—leave it, or change it to Magna Carta?

Alex Cabal

Apr 13, 2021, 11:51:30 AM4/13/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Let's leave it

Vince

Apr 15, 2021, 1:52:06 AM4/15/21
to Standard Ebooks
I believe The Federalist Papers is ready for review.

A few notes (most mentioned in the production notes as well):
  • The source uses three different types of emphasis/formatting: italics, small-caps, and uppercase. PG used uppercase for all of it. I went through page-by-page to apply the appropriate formatting, using small-caps for the few instances of uppercase. Most of the small-caps appeared to me to be more formatting than emphasis, so I used <b>, with rare exceptions.
  • The introduction and preface (“Text of the Federalist”) are from two different editions; both have dc:source entries.
  • The introduction had quite a bit of archaic capitalization; I fixed it, but was unsure in a few places. E.g., I kept constitution lowercase when it was “proposed constitution,” but capitalized it when it was “the Constitution”.
  • “State” and “States” were capitalized throughout the text; I lowercased them all (except for United States, titles, and beginning of sentences) in a single editorial commit.
  • This desperately needs a few cans of Decommify sprayed all over it. (Based on Tom Jones, Gibbon, and this, writers in the 18th century were apparently paid by the comma.) I did not touch it, however, it’s exactly as it is in the scans.

Alex Cabal

Apr 15, 2021, 11:05:29 AM4/15/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Robin can you take this?

On 4/15/21 12:52 AM, Vince wrote:
> I believe The Federalist Papers
> <https://github.com/vr8hub/alexander-hamilton-john-jay-james-madison_the-federalist-papers> is
> ready for review.
>
> A few notes (most mentioned in the production notes as well):
>
> * The source uses three different types of emphasis/formatting:
> italics, small-caps, and uppercase. PG used uppercase for all of it.
> I went through page-by-page to apply the appropriate formatting,
> using small-caps for the few instances of uppercase. Most of the
> small-caps appeared to me to be more formatting than emphasis, so I
> used <b>, with rare exceptions.
> * The introduction and preface (“Text of the Federalist”) are from two
> different editions; both have dc:source entries.
> * The introduction had quite a bit of archaic capitalization; I fixed
> it, but was unsure in a few places. E.g., I kept constitution
> lowercase when it was “proposed constitution,” but capitalized it
> when it was “the Constitution”.
> * “State” and “States” were capitalized throughout the text; I
> lowercased them all (except for United States, titles, and beginning
> of sentences) in a single editorial commit.
> * These began as articles in newspapers, but have been published in
> books for the ensuing 234 years. I debated about whether to use
> change that if you think otherwise.
> * This /desperately/ needs a few cans of Decommify sprayed all over
> it. (Based on /Tom Jones/, Gibbon, and this, writers in the 18th
> century were apparently paid by the comma.) I did not touch it,
> however, it’s exactly as it is in the scans.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/1B3DFE2A-6CD3-4BE4-8057-357B9AC0358F%40letterboxes.org
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/1B3DFE2A-6CD3-4BE4-8057-357B9AC0358F%40letterboxes.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Robin Whittleton

Apr 15, 2021, 4:12:57 PM4/15/21
to Standard Ebooks
Sure.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/3af1033c-5674-0a3f-51b1-b9caf71eb106%40standardebooks.org.

Robin Whittleton

Apr 15, 2021, 5:01:01 PM4/15/21
to Standard Ebooks
I’ve filed some github issues. As well as those, typogrify is throwing up some changes so can you run that again?

Clean production in general though, this is just me being picky :)

-Robin

Vince

Apr 15, 2021, 5:48:58 PM4/15/21
to Standard Ebooks
Fixes changed and pushed, thanks as always, Robin.

I couldn’t replicate your typogrify issue (I ran one right before I submitted), but then I realized my MBP was still on 1.9.2. Alex slipped in a cite change in 1.9.3 when I wasn’t looking.

Alex Cabal

Apr 20, 2021, 3:15:29 PM4/20/21
to standar...@googlegroups.com
Great work as always Vince, thanks! I've gone ahead and released it.

On 4/15/21 4:48 PM, Vince wrote:
> Fixes changed and pushed, thanks as always, Robin.
>
> I couldn’t replicate your typogrify issue (I ran one right before I
> submitted), but then I realized my MBP was still on 1.9.2. Alex slipped
> in a cite change in 1.9.3 when I wasn’t looking.
>

>> On Apr 15, 2021, at 4:00 PM, Robin Whittleton <ro...@reala.net
>> <mailto:ro...@reala.net>> wrote:
>>
>> I’ve filed some github issues. As well as those, typogrify is throwing
>> up some changes so can you run that again?
>>
>> Clean production in general though, this is just me being picky :)
>>
>> -Robin
>>
>>> On 15 Apr 2021, at 07:52, Vince <vr_se...@letterboxes.org
>>> <mailto:vr_se...@letterboxes.org>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I believe The Federalist Papers
>>> <https://github.com/vr8hub/alexander-hamilton-john-jay-james-madison_the-federalist-papers> is
>>> ready for review.
>>>
>>> A few notes (most mentioned in the production notes as well):
>>>
>>> * The source uses three different types of emphasis/formatting:
>>> italics, small-caps, and uppercase. PG used uppercase for all of
>>> it. I went through page-by-page to apply the appropriate
>>> formatting, using small-caps for the few instances of uppercase.
>>> Most of the small-caps appeared to me to be more formatting than
>>> emphasis, so I used <b>, with rare exceptions.
>>> * The introduction and preface (“Text of the Federalist”) are from
>>> two different editions; both have dc:source entries.
>>> * The introduction had quite a bit of archaic capitalization; I
>>> fixed it, but was unsure in a few places. E.g., I kept
>>> constitution lowercase when it was “proposed constitution,” but
>>> capitalized it when it was “the Constitution”.
>>> * “State” and “States” were capitalized throughout the text; I
>>> lowercased them all (except for United States, titles, and
>>> beginning of sentences) in a single editorial commit.
>>> * These began as articles in newspapers, but have been published in
>>> books for the ensuing 234 years. I debated about whether to use
>>> to change that if you think otherwise.
>>> * This /desperately/ needs a few cans of Decommify sprayed all over
>>> it. (Based on /Tom Jones/, Gibbon, and this, writers in the 18th
>>> century were apparently paid by the comma.) I did not touch it,
>>> however, it’s exactly as it is in the scans.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5BC5820F-E3A9-4AE0-BDCC-73A916CF5224%40letterboxes.org
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/standardebooks/5BC5820F-E3A9-4AE0-BDCC-73A916CF5224%40letterboxes.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

David

Apr 21, 2021, 1:24:33 AM4/21/21
to Standard Ebooks
This looks like a great "non-fiction" addition! Thanks!

In reading the long description, the beginning of the 3rd paragraph caught my eye. Should "Although the article’s influence..." be either
  • Although the articles’ influence... or
  • Although the influence of these articles...
?? Just wondering!

D.
--
Edinburgh, UK