[ANN] Spyder 4.0 third release candidate

Carlos Córdoba

Nov 26, 2019, 10:08:55 PM11/26/19
to spyder

Hi all,

On the behalf of the Spyder Project Contributors, I’m pleased to announce the third release candidate of our next major version: Spyder 4.0.

We’ve been working on this version for more than three years now and as far as we know it’s working very well. There are still several bugs to squash but we encourage all people who like the bleeding edge to give it a try. This beta version is released one week after Spyder 4.0 rc2 and it includes more than 130 commits.

Spyder 4.0 comes with several interesting and exciting new features. The most important ones are:

  • Main Window

    • Dark theme for the entire application.
    • A new Plots pane to browse all inline figures generated by the IPython console.
    • Rename the following panes:
      • Static code analysis to Code Analysis
      • File explorer to Files
      • Find in files to Find
      • History log to History
      • Project explorer to Project
    • Create a separate window when undocking all panes.
    • Show current conda environment (if any) in the status bar.
  • Editor

    • Code folding.
    • Indentation guides.
    • A class/method/function lookup panel. This can be shown in the menu Source > Show selector for classes and functions.
    • Autosave functionality to recover unsaved files after a crash.
    • Optional integration with the Kite completion engine.
    • Code completion and linting are provided by the Python Language Server.
  • IPython Console

    • Run files in an empty namespace.
    • Open dedicated consoles for Pylab, Sympy and Cython.
    • Run cells through a new function called runcell.
    • Run cells by name.
  • Debugger

    • Code completion.
    • Execute multi-line statements.
    • Syntax highlighting.
    • Permanent history.
    • runfile and runcell can be called when the debugger is active.
    • Debug cells with Alt+Shift+Return.
  • Variable Explorer

    • New viewer to inspect any Python object in a tree-like representation.
    • Filter variables by name or type.
    • MultiIndex support in the Dataframe viewer.
    • Support for all Pandas indexes.
    • Support for sets.
    • Support for Numpy object arrays.
    • Restore the ability to refresh it while code is being executed.
  • Files

    • Associate external applications to open specific file extensions.
    • Context menu action to open files externally.
    • Multi-select functionality with Ctrl/Shift + mouse click.
    • Copy/paste files and their absolute or relative paths.
    • Use special icons for different file types.
  • Outline

    • Show cells grouped in sections.
    • Add default name to all cells.

For a more complete list of changes, please see our changelog.

You can easily install this beta if you use Anaconda by running:

conda update qt pyqt
conda install -c spyder-ide spyder=4.0.0rc3

Or you can use pip with this command:

pip install --pre -U spyder

Enjoy!
Carlos

Stephen P. Molnar

Nov 27, 2019, 10:02:49 AM11/27/19
to spyd...@googlegroups.com
Debian Buster/Anaconda3

Apparently I have conflicts. Install log is attached.

Your comments will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.
www.molecular-modeling.net
614.312.7528 (c)
Skype:  smolnar1

install.spyder4.log

lwbaq...@gmail.com

Nov 27, 2019, 10:02:49 AM11/27/19
to spyd...@googlegroups.com

You are working fast and furious!!! thanks

On the behalf of the Spyder Project Contributors, I’m pleased to announce the third release candidate of our next major version: Spyder 4.0.

We’ve been working on this version for more than three years now and as far as we know it’s working very well. There are still several bugs to squash but we encourage all people who like the bleeding edge to give it a try. This beta version is released one week after Spyder 4.0 rc2 and it includes more than 130 commits.

Spyder 4.0 comes with several interesting and exciting new features. The most important ones are:

·         Main Window

o    Dark theme for the entire application.

o    A new Plots pane to browse all inline figures generated by the IPython console.

o    Rename the following panes:

§  Static code analysis to Code Analysis

§  File explorer to Files

§  Find in files to Find

§  History log to History

§  Project explorer to Project

o    Create a separate window when undocking all panes.

o    Show current conda environment (if any) in the status bar.

·         Editor

o    Code folding.

o    Indentation guides.

o    A class/method/function lookup panel. This can be shown in the menu Source > Show selector for classes and functions.

o    Autosave functionality to recover unsaved files after a crash.

o    Optional integration with the Kite completion engine.

o    Code completion and linting are provided by the Python Language Server.

·         IPython Console

o    Run files in an empty namespace.

o    Open dedicated consoles for Pylab, Sympy and Cython.

o    Run cells through a new function called runcell.

o    Run cells by name.

·         Debugger

o    Code completion.

o    Execute multi-line statements.

o    Syntax highlighting.

o    Permanent history.

o    runfile and runcell can be called when the debugger is active.

o    Debug cells with Alt+Shift+Return.

·         Variable Explorer

o    New viewer to inspect any Python object in a tree-like representation.

o    Filter variables by name or type.

o    MultiIndex support in the Dataframe viewer.

o    Support for all Pandas indexes.

o    Support for sets.

o    Support for Numpy object arrays.

o    Restore the ability to refresh it while code is being executed.

·         Files

o    Associate external applications to open specific file extensions.

o    Context menu action to open files externally.

o    Multi-select functionality with Ctrl/Shift + mouse click.

o    Copy/paste files and their absolute or relative paths.

o    Use special icons for different file types.

·         Outline

o    Show cells grouped in sections.

o    Add default name to all cells.