Password Issue with SmartSvn 11

murtuza chhil

Jan 4, 2019, 1:15:59 AM1/4/19
to SmartSVN
Hi,

Off late the password that is saved or saved incorrectly when it does background refreshes. This causes my company locking me out due to invalid password retries.

Once locked out and the authentication still fails the password prompt appears, the asterices for the password are less than the length of my password implying its using a different password and causing me this pain.

I was on the regular windows install, removed it and started using the portable version to have more control on the directory structure.
I have also deleted the .settings directory to start clean but the password problem pops up after the first successful use.

Which all locations are the passwords stored and what's causing the app to use the wrong password?

-chhil

p.s. I am a registered licensed user and get the unlimited updates.

SmartSVN Support

Jan 4, 2019, 1:25:11 AM1/4/19
to smar...@googlegroups.com
Hi Murtuza,

The displayed amount of dummy characters in the password field is always the same, no matter how long the password is. Do I understand the problem correctly: you can connect to the server correctly, but if you start SmartSVN without directly performing a command that asks for the credentials, you will be locked out. Is it about SSH or https?

Have you already tried the "Ask for Master Password if required (to make sure Remote State can always be refreshed)" is selected in the SmartSVN preferences, page "Refresh"?

--
Best regards,
Thomas Singer

SmartSVN Support

Jan 4, 2019, 1:29:49 AM1/4/19
to smar...@googlegroups.com
BTW, there is also a similar option in the preferences, page "Transactions". Just curious: how often you need to provide the wrong credentials before getting locked out?

--
Best regards,
Thomas Singer

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/smartsvn/5c2efc46.1c69fb81.c79fd.4b9fSMTPIN_ADDED_BROKEN%40gmr-mx.google.com.

murtuza chhil

Jan 4, 2019, 7:55:58 AM1/4/19
to SmartSVN
Hi Thomas,

The flow is like this, I get my account unlocked, fire up smartsvn, attempt a commit and it asks for a password. I enter the password, and the commit works.

I leave the smartsvn running and its probably refreshing in the background. I switch over to smartsvn and try to commit more files and it asks me for a password. I enter it and it does not go through, which means my account got locked. I need to go and unlock my account...which has a limit and I soon run out of it and need some admin to unlock me.

Don't use SSH.
Under preferences -> Authentication there is only info in the subversion tab where the url (https) and username are present, password has unknown (I dont save the password anymore).

I dont have a master password either.

-chhil

murtuza chhil

Jan 4, 2019, 7:58:35 AM1/4/19
to SmartSVN
I had set the refresh to 999min from the default 1, but it doesn't hold the value, the next time I restart smartsvn its back to 1 min.

-chhil

SmartSVN Support

Jan 4, 2019, 9:40:59 AM1/4/19
to smar...@googlegroups.com
> I leave the smartsvn running and its probably refreshing in the background. I
> switch over to smartsvn and try to commit more files and it asks me for a
> password.

That's already odd. It should remember all passwords at least for the session. Please contact your administrator and ask whether you are locked out because of too often logged in or because of wrong password.

> Don't use SSH.

What else - https?

--
Best regards,
Thomas Singer

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/smartsvn/5a3ac1a3-a8b6-40dc-8a70-bc1c212804a8%40googlegroups.com.

murtuza chhil

Jan 4, 2019, 10:12:46 AM1/4/19
to SmartSVN
Locked out for wrong password. They saw invalid password attempts in their logs.

-chhil

murtuza chhil

Jan 4, 2019, 10:17:39 AM1/4/19
to SmartSVN
Using https.

Just got unlocked committed a few files and I am locked out again.

Authorization fails once I get locked out..

Update to HEAD: Can't create session
Unable to connect to a repository at URL 'https://subversion.xxxxxx.com/svn/svn-yyyyy/trunk/zzzzz'
Authorization failed
User canceled dialog

-chhil

murtuza chhil

Jan 10, 2019, 8:17:26 PM1/10/19
to SmartSVN
Hi,

Password issue has been resolved. It was a user error and not related to smartSVN at all. My username was used in a continuous build process and its password had expired causing the domain lockouts and authentication across multiple domain controllers made it seem that it failed during the usage of smartsvn.
Thank you, Thomas, for assisting and I apologize for wasting your time.

-chhil