Queen piece?

bali...@yahoo.com

Mar 29, 2021, 3:34:35 PM3/29/21
to SHOGI-L
I have the old scans of George Hodges's Shogi magazine . In the March 1983 issue there's a bit about a queen piece used in place of the king in a women's match.  It uses this kanji:

Has this been used since then at all?  Was it a one-time thing?

captbirdseye

Mar 30, 2021, 5:59:21 AM3/30/21
to SHOGI-L
As a result of a question in another recent thread:

On Thursday, 11 March 2021 at 20:59:10 UTC angel...@comcast.net wrote:
I'm curious - do books written in Japanese about chess use shogi-style diagrams and notation systems?

I have thrown together a joke 'Japanised' Chess set. I used a Free King (奔王) for the Queen - I dunno if that was
'right''? I don't have my Shogi magazine scans to hand at the moment...

george.hodges

Apr 9, 2021, 12:08:19 PM4/9/21
to sho...@googlegroups.com

Hallo!

I find it very interesting that you are interested in the Queen (King) head of Shogi. Years ago, I was. But then nobody mentions the poor Queen anymore and I forgot all about it. It would be nice for the Lady Shogi player to use the Queen instead of the King. Perhaps it is because the kanji for the Queen is very simple. Kind greetings to all from Angela Hodges.

[Shogi] Fabien Osmont

Apr 9, 2021, 12:48:00 PM4/9/21
to sho...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Well, the term "king" is a westernization to name the leader piece of
the game of shogi, by comparison to chess.

The real name of this "leader" is actually "the great general" on one
side, and the "jade general" (kind of challenger) on the other side.

I don't know if "O Sho" reflect a gender by itself but I don't think so.
It could therefore be either a man or a woman.

Maybe people better experts in japanese language could confirm /
complete this ?

All the best

Fabien

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/shogi-l/8a76cd5.9f85.178b7642691.Webtop.109%40talk21.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/shogi-l/8a76cd5.9f85.178b7642691.Webtop.109%40talk21.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

matthew....@gmail.com

Apr 9, 2021, 1:33:40 PM4/9/21
to SHOGI-L
On Friday, April 9, 2021 at 12:48:00 PM UTC-4 Fabien Osmont (French Fed.) wrote:

The real name of this "leader" is actually "the great general" on one
side, and the "jade general" (kind of challenger) on the other side.

I do not think this is correct. The piece name is 王将 --  王 means "king" and 将 means "general" or "leader". (By the way, queen is 女王 -- 女 is the character for woman.)  There is a character pronounced "ō" that means "great" or "big" -- 大.  However, 大将 (which means "general" or "admiral") is pronounced "taishou".

Also I think 玉将 is more accurately translated (in English) as "jeweled general" -- 玉 means jewel. I think jade is written 翠玉.

Regards,

Matt

Rod Jackson

Apr 9, 2021, 7:54:17 PM4/9/21
to sho...@googlegroups.com
I asked a Japanese translator I know, he said
"Thanks, also nice question. I suppose that in the historical course of shogi, no one thought of any gender attached to 王将. Most samurai commanders were male though. In Christianity, there seems to be a clear line between males and females, but in Buddhism the line is not so clear. a male is a female, and vice versa. Male or Female, a person who deserves the king is a king. This is a way of thinking in Japanese Shogi, I think"

RAZA

"With whom did God consult and who gave Him understanding? And who taught Him in the path of justice and taught Him knowledge
And informed Him of the way of understanding?" Isaiah 40:14