Would like to separate out SG logs from ES logs.

ch s

Apr 17, 2018, 12:09:56 PM4/17/18
to Search Guard Community Forum
I guess this is more of a log4j2 question than anything else, but we have a requirement to let another team have access to our elasticsearch logs (And by this, I mean the log file generated by the elasticsearch process controlled by log4j2.properties, not the documents that are inside the elasticsearch cluster itself). The only problem is that the logs for the searchguard process are combined with the regular elasticsearch process logs. Is there a way to separate the two so that we can put the searchguard logs into a different file than the one elasticsearch is using for its own logs?

I did experiment with the auditlog, but that still doesn't capture the actual searchguard process logs. It works great for audit events though!

I'm guessing this would require some changes to log4j2.properties, but understanding that file is completely foreign to me.

Thanks!

* Search Guard and Elasticsearch version
SG 5.6.7, ES 5.6.7

* Installed and used enterprise modules, if any
Auditlog

ch s

Apr 19, 2018, 11:14:39 AM4/19/18
to Search Guard Community Forum
Anyone? If this isn't possible, that's fine, I'd just like to know.

SG

Apr 19, 2018, 11:45:15 AM4/19/18
to search...@googlegroups.com
of course you can do this. but as you said this is more log4j than SG related.
All loggers for searchguard start with com.floragunn or sg_action_trace (for auditlogs you can configure the loggername yourself)
So just route them into another file than the rest of the logs.

CHS

Apr 19, 2018, 11:48:32 AM4/19/18
to SG, search...@googlegroups.com
You don't have any examples of integrating this with the existing elasticsearch log4j2 file?

Jochen Kressin

Apr 19, 2018, 4:34:58 PM4/19/18
to Search Guard Community Forum
For an example you can refer to the Search Guard docs:

So basically you create a new logger and a new appender in your log4j2.properties file.The appender specifies the file name and location amongst other settings, and is connected to the actual logger via an appenderRef. For example, have a look at how the deprecation logger is defined. Just follow this pattern, and replace the "deprecation" with, for example, "searchguard". The base packe for all SG relates classes is "com.floragunn".

logger.deprecation.name = org.elasticsearch.deprecation
logger.deprecation.level = warn
logger.deprecation.appenderRef.deprecation_rolling.ref = deprecation_rolling
logger.deprecation.additivity = false

appender.deprecation_rolling.type = RollingFile
appender.deprecation_rolling.name = deprecation_rolling
appender.deprecation_rolling.fileName = ${sys:es.logs.base_path}${sys:file.separator}${sys:es.logs.cluster_name}_deprecation.log
appender.deprecation_rolling.layout.type = PatternLayout
appender.deprecation_rolling.layout.pattern = [%d{ISO8601}][%-5p][%-25c{1.}] %marker%.-10000m%n
appender.deprecation_rolling.filePattern = ${sys:es.logs.base_path}${sys:file.separator}${sys:es.logs.cluster_name}_deprecation-%i.log.gz
appender.deprecation_rolling.policies.type = Policies
appender.deprecation_rolling.policies.size.type = SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy
appender.deprecation_rolling.policies.size.size = 1GB
appender.deprecation_rolling.strategy.type = DefaultRolloverStrategy
appender.deprecation_rolling.strategy.max = 4

On Tuesday, April 17, 2018 at 11:09:56 AM UTC-5, ch s wrote:
[...]

CHS

Apr 19, 2018, 5:59:01 PM4/19/18
to search...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the tips. Looks like I've got it mostly working. Logs are now going to a separate logfile, but some logs are still being captured in the ES log file.

For example (lines trimmed):
[2018-04-19T21:42:20,491][WARN ][c.f.d.a.l.b.LDAPAuthorizationBackend] Unable to connect to ldapserver due to[trimmed]
[2018-04-19T21:42:20,492][ERROR][c.f.s.a.BackendRegistry  ] Problems retrieving roles for User [name=admin, roles=[]] [trimmed]
[2018-04-19T21:51:19,555][WARN ][c.f.s.h.SearchGuardHttpServerTransport] [hostname] Someone (/127.0.0.1:50448) speaks http plaintext [trimmed]

Here's what I've got added to the log4j2.properties:

logger.searchguard.name = com.floragunn
logger.searchguard.level = warn
logger.searchguard.appenderRef.deprecation_rolling.ref = searchguard_rolling
logger.searchguard.additivity = false

appender.searchguard_rolling.type = RollingFile
appender.searchguard_rolling.name = searchguard_rolling
appender.searchguard_rolling.fileName = ${sys:es.logs.base_path}${sys:file.separator}${sys:es.logs.cluster_name}_searchguard.log
appender.searchguard_rolling.layout.type = PatternLayout
appender.searchguard_rolling.layout.pattern = [%d{ISO8601}][%-5p][%-25c{1.}] %marker%.-10000m%n
appender.searchguard_rolling.filePattern = ${sys:es.logs.base_path}${sys:file.separator}${sys:es.logs.cluster_name}_searchguard-%i.log.gz
appender.searchguard_rolling.policies.type = Policies
appender.searchguard_rolling.policies.size.type = SizeBasedTriggeringPolicy
appender.searchguard_rolling.policies.size.size = 1GB
appender.searchguard_rolling.strategy.type = DefaultRolloverStrategy
appender.searchguard_rolling.strategy.max = 4

SG

Apr 22, 2018, 7:57:02 AM4/22/18
to search...@googlegroups.com
i guess you need to set logger.searchguard.level = ALL here