Open SSL not available (this is not an error, we simply fallback to built-in JDK SSL)

SAI KRISHNA GHANTA

Jul 14, 2016, 12:10:10 PM7/14/16
to Search Guard
Hi,

I have installed elasticsearch-2.3.4 in CentOS7: (Configuration is like: master, data and search nodes which share same binaries but different config files)

Architecture is: x86_64 GNU/Linux

And noticed that either search-guard or search-guard-ssl plugins are not available for this release.

I downloaded search-guard-ssl repository from GIT and modified the version to match ES-2.3.4. Well, its installed.

I ran ./examples.sh file for certificates and configured them for transport. So far no issues. I could able to see logs in Kibana, yet it says Open SSL not available in logs. When tried to access http://localhost:9200/_searchguard/sslinfo?pretty from browser, it was saying Open SSL is not available.

I also wanted to try https, so configured. But the elasticsearch_data logs, I have seen messages like: Someone speaks plaintext instead of ssl, will close the channel

So I really wanted to put my efforts to make search-guard-ssl to find OpenSSL, for that I followed, https://github.com/floragunncom/search-guard-ssl-docs/blob/master/openssl.md link. Since I couldn't install tomcat and configure OpenSSL for that I have chosen static method. I downloaded netty-tcnative-1.1.33.Fork19-linux-x86_64.jar, placed in plugins/search-guard-ssl/ directory and renamed it to netty-tcnative-linux-x86_64.jar.

According to the OpenSSL documentation, OpenSSL should work doing so.. but still I face the same error:

[com.floragunn.searchguard.ssl.SearchGuardKeyStore] Open SSL not available (this is not an error, we simply fallback to built-in JDK SSL) because of java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Failed to load any of the given libraries: [netty-tcnative-linux-x86_64, netty-tcnative-linux-x86_64-fedora, netty-tcnative]

Someone please help me to fix this. Is this because, search-guard-ssl was not compatible version to latest elasticsearch-2.3.4?  Or anything subtle approach available to make this work?

Would be thankful for the help.

Regards,
Krishna

SG