Setting up http authentication and passing crentials through

John

Jun 17, 2015, 9:36:07 AM6/17/15
to search...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I was looking to setup pass through authentication. I have the http basic authentication with elasticsearch/kibana and search-guard setup and that works.

What I would like to do is use a curl to setup the session that way the user does not see the login box but the elasticsearch/kibana instance is still secured by a login. I enabled the searchguard.http.enable_sessions. I can curl the :9200 instance and it logins but when I go to kibana and try to do the same it still asks for the password. Is there anyway around this with the default options in search-guard?

SG

Jun 18, 2015, 4:04:30 AM6/18/15
to search...@googlegroups.com
Thats not the way how HTTP Basic Authentication works. You need a authentication mechanism with is capable of doing a kind of single sign on.
For now search guard can be setup do do this via kerberos (or NTLM in a windows infrastructure). The will soon be more support like oauth2 and SAML or CAS. Maybe for you also the unauthenticated feature is interesting, see:

# Authenticates always a user with username 'searchguard_unauthenticated_user'
#searchguard.authentication.http_authenticator.impl: com.floragunn.searchguard.authentication.http.HTTPUnauthenticatedAuthenticator

in combination with host based security (hosts attribute in acl)