Cannot retrieve license information

roxane....@hoomano.com

Jan 30, 2019, 9:29:15 AM1/30/19
to Search Guard Community Forum

* Search Guard and Elasticsearch version: 6.5.1
* Installed and used enterprise modules, if any: None
* JVM version and operating system version: java 1.8 and Ubuntu 16.04
* Search Guard configuration files: files sg_*.yml attached
* Elasticsearch log messages on debug level: file elasticsearch.log attached
* Other installed Elasticsearch or Kibana plugins, if any: None

Hi,

I'm trying to run ES with the SG plugin, by having previously executed sgadmin.sh with the following command:

/usr/share/elasticsearch/plugins/search-guard-6/tools/sgadmin.sh -cd /home/rspigolis/ -cacert /etc/elasticsearch/root-ca.pem -cert /etc/elasticsearch/admin.pem -key /etc/elasticsearch/admin.key -icl -nhnv

but unfortunately, the service doesn't start correctly, and when going to Kibana, I am unable to connect via SG. It displays an error message saying it cannot retrieve license information.

Thank you for your help,

Roxane Spigolis
elasticsearch.log
sg_action_groups.yml
sg_config.yml
sg_internal_users.yml
sg_roles.yml
sg_roles_mapping.yml
elsasticsearch.yml

SG

Feb 3, 2019, 9:38:50 AM2/3/19
to search...@googlegroups.com
Is this a single node installation? If not please also attach the elasticsearch.yml of all of the other nodes.
Is it working with the default demo certificates? If yes it's likely related to a improper SSL setup. How did you generate your certificates?

And please the complete output of the sgadmin.sh command
> <elasticsearch.log><sg_action_groups.yml><sg_config.yml><sg_internal_users.yml><sg_roles.yml><sg_roles_mapping.yml><elsasticsearch.yml>

roxane....@hoomano.com

Feb 4, 2019, 10:17:18 AM2/4/19
to Search Guard Community Forum
Hello,

This is a single node installation, and I used the TLS tool in order to generate the certificates. You can find attached the corresponding tlsconfig.yml.
here is the output of the sgadmin.sh command:

WARNING: JAVA_HOME not set, will use /usr/bin/java
Search Guard Admin v6
Will connect to localhost:9300 ... done
Elasticsearch Version: 6.5.1
Search Guard Version: 6.5.1-23.2
Connected as CN=admin,OU=Ops,O=Hoomano,DC=hoomano,DC=com
Contacting elasticsearch cluster 'elasticsearch' and wait for YELLOW clusterstate ...
Clustername: elasticsearch
Clusterstate: YELLOW
Number of nodes: 1
Number of data nodes: 1
searchguard index already exists, so we do not need to create one.
Populate config from /home/rspigolis/
Will update 'sg/config' with /home/rspigolis/sg_config.yml
   SUCC: Configuration for 'config' created or updated
Will update 'sg/roles' with /home/rspigolis/sg_roles.yml
   SUCC: Configuration for 'roles' created or updated
Will update 'sg/rolesmapping' with /home/rspigolis/sg_roles_mapping.yml
   SUCC: Configuration for 'rolesmapping' created or updated
Will update 'sg/internalusers' with /home/rspigolis/sg_internal_users.yml
   SUCC: Configuration for 'internalusers' created or updated
Will update 'sg/actiongroups' with /home/rspigolis/sg_action_groups.yml
   SUCC: Configuration for 'actiongroups' created or updated
Done with success

Thank you!
tlsconfig.yml

SG

Feb 5, 2019, 2:26:21 AM2/5/19
to search...@googlegroups.com
Can you please disable spaces in Kibana or update to latest Search Guard v24.1 and Kibana Plugin v18 release?

https://docs.search-guard.com/latest/kibana-plugin-installation#kibana-spaces-since-650
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/search-guard/e5baf37b-4f5c-407b-a272-a2088669e85d%40googlegroups.com.
> <tlsconfig.yml>

roxane....@hoomano.com

Feb 5, 2019, 6:06:45 AM2/5/19
to Search Guard Community Forum
Hi,

Spaces are already disabled in Kibana, as you can see from the attached kibana.yml config file.
I already have a local instance and one running on another server, and both are functional. I tried to launch ES with the certificates from this other server, but the issue remains the same. I am going to test with the demo installation now.

I really would like to avoid upgrading the whole stack if it is possible, so use this option as a last resort.

Thank you for your support
kibana.yml

Search Guard

Feb 5, 2019, 12:31:01 PM2/5/19
to Search Guard Community Forum
In the elasticsearch.yml you provided searchguard is disabled (searchguard.disabled: true), maybe that's the issue?
Do you want to use enterprise features or the community version?

roxane....@hoomano.com

Feb 13, 2019, 3:11:34 AM2/13/19
to Search Guard Community Forum
Hi,

I managed to make it work by uninstalling and installing again elasticsearch. I guess something was wrong in a config file somewhere.

Thank you for your support.