0.12 release

Johannes Schönberger

Jan 20, 2016, 4:18:26 PM1/20/16
to scikit...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Seems like we are close to clearing the 0.12 milestone: https://github.com/scikit-image/scikit-image/pulls?q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+milestone%3A0.12

It's been a while since we had a release and lots of great stuff has been merged in the mean time. I suggest to freeze any other PRs until we release 0.12. Maybe we can aim to release 0.12 in the next days?

Cheers, Johannes

Stéfan van der Walt

Jan 21, 2016, 9:04:34 PM1/21/16
to scikit-image
On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 1:18 PM, Johannes Schönberger <js...@demuc.de> wrote:
> It's been a while since we had a release and lots of great stuff has been merged in the mean time. I suggest to freeze any other PRs until we release 0.12. Maybe we can aim to release 0.12 in the next days?

Yes, we're very close now! We're starting to see the effect of the
package & userbase growing: in the past, we'd release, and people
would come back with a few bug reports. Now, simply planning a
release triggers new bug reports, making the milestone grow and grow!
But the list is now shrinking rapidly.

Thanks all for your hard work!

Stéfan

Emmanuelle Gouillart

Jan 31, 2016, 10:52:49 AM1/31/16
to scikit...@googlegroups.com
We only have 3 PRs started by Stéfan marked for 0.12, so we're indeed
very close! Out of these 3, 2 are almost ready to merge, and the last one
(about the novice module) could be postponed to 0.13 without much damage
(if I'm not mistaken; Stéfan, you might have a different opinion).

Stéfan, do you want these PRs to be merged for 0.12? Can you estimate
when they should be ready?

I can take care of the release process as described in our RELEASE.txt,
but it would be the first time for me so I'll probably need some help
along the process!

Best,
Emma

Stéfan van der Walt

Jan 31, 2016, 11:54:16 AM1/31/16
to scikit-image
Hi Emma

On 31 January 2016 at 07:52, Emmanuelle Gouillart
<emmanuelle...@nsup.org> wrote:
> Stéfan, do you want these PRs to be merged for 0.12? Can you estimate
> when they should be ready?

I'll make the last changes to those PRs now. If, after that, they are
not ready to merge, let us not hold up the whole release.

> I can take care of the release process as described in our RELEASE.txt,
> but it would be the first time for me so I'll probably need some help
> along the process!

That is very kind of you! I am happy to lend a hand as and where needed.

Stéfan

Emmanuelle Gouillart

Jan 31, 2016, 11:58:20 AM1/31/16
to scikit...@googlegroups.com
> > Stéfan, do you want these PRs to be merged for 0.12? Can you estimate
> > when they should be ready?

> I'll make the last changes to those PRs now. If, after that, they are
> not ready to merge, let us not hold up the whole release.

Awesome! From GitHub's activity there are several devs around today, so
we should be able to review and hopefully merge today.

> > I can take care of the release process as described in our RELEASE.txt,
> > but it would be the first time for me so I'll probably need some help
> > along the process!

> That is very kind of you! I am happy to lend a hand as and where needed.

Thanks!

Emma

Stéfan van der Walt

Jan 31, 2016, 12:52:47 PM1/31/16
to scikit-image
On 31 January 2016 at 08:58, Emmanuelle Gouillart
<emmanuelle...@nsup.org> wrote:
>> > Stéfan, do you want these PRs to be merged for 0.12? Can you estimate
>> > when they should be ready?
>
>> I'll make the last changes to those PRs now. If, after that, they are
>> not ready to merge, let us not hold up the whole release.

I've made updates to those PRs. Unfortunately, I will be out for most
of the rest of the day, but feel free to update those PRs--I've added
Emma, Johannes, Josh and Juan as collaborators on my fork.

Thanks again!

Stéfan

Emmanuelle Gouillart

Jan 31, 2016, 2:58:17 PM1/31/16
to scikit...@googlegroups.com
One more request, especially to the core team: could we restrain
ourselves from adding new PRs to the 0.12 milestone, except for bad bug
fixes? We need to converge at some point :-).

Emma

Johannes Schönberger

Jan 31, 2016, 3:35:47 PM1/31/16
to scikit...@googlegroups.com
Agreed and apologies :-)

No more PRs from my side.
> To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/scikit-image/20160131195815.GD819538%40phare.normalesup.org.

Josh Warner

Feb 1, 2016, 1:21:13 AM2/1/16
to scikit-image
I added #1921 to the milestone, but for good reason. Should have minimal fuss and saves us a cycle against this deprecation.

Nothing else pending here!

On Sunday, January 31, 2016 at 1:35:47 PM UTC-7, Johannes Schönberger wrote:
Agreed and apologies :-)

No more PRs from my side.

> On Jan 31, 2016, at 20:58, Emmanuelle Gouillart <emmanuelle...@nsup.org> wrote:
>
> One more request, especially to the core team: could we restrain
> ourselves from adding new PRs to the 0.12 milestone, except for bad bug
> fixes? We need to converge at some point :-).
>
> Emma
>
>> On Sun, Jan 31, 2016 at 09:52:25AM -0800, Stéfan van der Walt wrote:

>> I've made updates to those PRs.  Unfortunately, I will be out for most
>> of the rest of the day, but feel free to update those PRs--I've added
>> Emma, Johannes, Josh and Juan as collaborators on my fork.
>>
>> Thanks again!
>>
>> Stéfan

Emmanuelle Gouillart

Feb 1, 2016, 1:57:07 PM2/1/16
to scikit...@googlegroups.com
I completely understand why you added this PR to the milestone, but there
are some remaining issues about it (see comments on GitHub: failing tests
+ gallery examples to update). Will you have time today or tomorrow to
work on it, so that we can tag 0.12 very soon :-) ?

Thanks!
Emma
> an email to scikit-image...@googlegroups.com.
> >> To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/
> msgid/scikit-image/CABDkGQk7emQRwk9W5-sRZ0nq8gS%2Bj5TLJ3GBC7RTcnQ7umzTDQ%
> 40mail.gmail.com.

> > --
> msgid/scikit-image/20160131195815.GD819538%40phare.normalesup.org.

Josh Warner

Feb 1, 2016, 5:55:52 PM2/1/16
to scikit-image
Already done, didn't have Wi-Fi over lunch but will push once I get home tonight.

Johannes Schönberger

Feb 3, 2016, 2:55:50 AM2/3/16
to scikit...@googlegroups.com
Should we release 0.12 now? Seems like all but one PR are merged now.

> On Feb 1, 2016, at 11:55 PM, Josh Warner <silvertr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Already done, didn't have Wi-Fi over lunch but will push once I get home tonight.

Emmanuelle Gouillart

Feb 3, 2016, 2:59:21 AM2/3/16
to scikit...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I think it's ready now! I've started working on release notes
yesterday and will continue tonight (Paris time), but if someone with
more bandwidth is impatient about releasing, go for it!

Emma

Stéfan van der Walt

Feb 3, 2016, 11:21:13 AM2/3/16
to scikit-image

Please note that there are still outstanding items on the TODO.txt.  I am almost done refactoring the labeling to use zero as background.

Stéfan

Emmanuelle Gouillart

Feb 3, 2016, 12:21:06 PM2/3/16
to scikit...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for preventing us from being carried away by the excitement of the
release :-D

Stéfan van der Walt

Feb 3, 2016, 1:30:22 PM2/3/16
to scikit-image
On 3 February 2016 at 09:21, Emmanuelle Gouillart
<emmanuelle...@nsup.org> wrote:
> Thanks for preventing us from being carried away by the excitement of the
> release :-D

Let me not stand in the way! I have three months' worth of happiness
pent up for the moment that tag gets applied.

Onward :)

Stéfan

Emmanuelle Gouillart

Feb 7, 2016, 10:32:34 AM2/7/16
to scikit...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

after having pressed everyone to finish pull requests and promised to
take care of the release, I'm having a few busy days during which I can't
find time to work on the release. It's going to be much better starting
from Tuesday evening, so please bear with me and be patient: the release
is (still) coming! And it means that there are still a few days to
complete outstanding items on TODO.txt :-)

Cheers,
Emmanuelle

Emmanuelle Gouillart

Feb 23, 2016, 10:38:23 AM2/23/16
to scikit...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

TODO.txt is now empty as far as 0.12 is concerned, release notes are
ready, shall we tag now? Stéfan, no regrets about #1937 or #1905?

I'm not used to "pushing origin master" (instead of pull requests), so I
prefer asking before: are instructions such as

- Update the version number in ``skimage/__init__.py`` and ``bento.info``
and commit

- Edit ``doc/source/_static/docversions.js`` and commit

- Add the version number as a tag in git::

git tag -s v0.X.0

git push --tags origin master

etc...

meant to be done in master and pushed directly to origin?

Stéfan, if I tag, can you publish on PyPi?

Cheers,
Emma

Stéfan van der Walt

Feb 23, 2016, 12:41:19 PM2/23/16
to scikit-image
Hi Emma

On 23 February 2016 at 07:38, Emmanuelle Gouillart
<emmanuelle...@nsup.org> wrote:
> TODO.txt is now empty as far as 0.12 is concerned, release notes are
> ready, shall we tag now? Stéfan, no regrets about #1937 or #1905?

Thanks for your hard work in moving the release forward!

#1937 highlights a bug in our tests (and failing tests, that aren't
currently showing up), so I would consider that the last blocker.

I'll try to get around to #1905, but if I don't that's also OK.

> - Update the version number in ``skimage/__init__.py`` and ``bento.info``
> and commit

All of this can be done on a 0.12.x branch.

> - Edit ``doc/source/_static/docversions.js`` and commit

This change needs to be done on / merged onto master.

> - Add the version number as a tag in git::
>
> git tag -s v0.X.0

This again can happen on the 0.12.x branch.

> Stéfan, if I tag, can you publish on PyPi?

I'd be happy to!

Thanks!
Stéfan

Emmanuelle Gouillart

Feb 24, 2016, 4:57:46 PM2/24/16
to scikit...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stéfan,

> #1937 highlights a bug in our tests (and failing tests, that aren't
> currently showing up), so I would consider that the last blocker.

> I'll try to get around to #1905, but if I don't that's also OK.

OK ! For #1937, I think the bug highlighted by
test_orb.test_keypoints_orb_desired_no_of_keypoints should be fixed
before the PR can be merged. Otherwise we'll have Travis failing all the
time, for all new PRs. Am I wrong?

And many thanks for all the explanations!

Cheers,
Emma

Stéfan van der Walt

Feb 25, 2016, 2:39:13 PM2/25/16
to scikit-image
On 24 February 2016 at 13:57, Emmanuelle Gouillart
<emmanuelle...@nsup.org> wrote:
> OK ! For #1937, I think the bug highlighted by
> test_orb.test_keypoints_orb_desired_no_of_keypoints should be fixed
> before the PR can be merged. Otherwise we'll have Travis failing all the
> time, for all new PRs. Am I wrong?

That's correct, yes!

Stéfan

Emmanuelle Gouillart

Mar 2, 2016, 4:24:47 PM3/2/16
to scikit...@googlegroups.com

> #1937 highlights a bug in our tests (and failing tests, that aren't
> currently showing up), so I would consider that the last blocker.

Well, #1937 has been stalling for a while and I would consider it a minor
bug only (differing opinion, anyone?), so how about we postpone #1937 to
0.13?

Emma

Stéfan van der Walt

Mar 2, 2016, 4:44:34 PM3/2/16
to scikit-image

#1937 is a bug fix, so should be merged. The real problem is the bug
that it exposes, which is

https://github.com/scikit-image/scikit-image/issues/1935

I will work on fixing it this afternoon.

Stéfan

Emmanuelle Gouillart

Mar 2, 2016, 4:52:21 PM3/2/16
to scikit...@googlegroups.com
Thanks :-D

Juan Nunez-Iglesias

Mar 2, 2016, 7:01:20 PM3/2/16
to scikit...@googlegroups.com
Bug fixes seem precisely inessential to get done ahead of release? Anything that doesn't break the API can be added in 0.12.1?

Stéfan van der Walt

Mar 2, 2016, 9:29:55 PM3/2/16
to scikit-image
On 2 March 2016 at 16:00, Juan Nunez-Iglesias <jni....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Bug fixes seem precisely inessential to get done ahead of release? Anything
> that doesn't break the API can be added in 0.12.1?

You can't really release a package with a broken test suite. So you
have the option to temporarily disable the tests, but shipping with a
known bug feels kind of weird?

Either way, I think I've zapped most of the outstanding ones. Waiting
for Travis.

Stéfan

Juan Nunez-Iglesias

Mar 2, 2016, 9:50:46 PM3/2/16
to scikit...@googlegroups.com
Aren't these pre-existing bugs? At any rate, as you say, might be a moot point, finally. =)

Stéfan van der Walt

Mar 4, 2016, 2:40:40 PM3/4/16
to scikit-image

Emmanuelle Gouillart

Mar 5, 2016, 12:07:16 PM3/5/16
to scikit...@googlegroups.com
Awesome!! I'm tagging right now, so please don't merge any PRs!!!

Emmanuelle Gouillart

Mar 6, 2016, 5:30:02 PM3/6/16
to scikit...@googlegroups.com
So, I tagged v0.12.0 and pushed a 0.12.x branch to
scikit-image/scikit-image

Now the release can be published on PyPi, I think :-)

Emma