Updated SOO one pager

Jane Park

Nov 19, 2013, 7:12:12 PM11/19/13
to school-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I updated the School of Open one pager to better reflect our evolution and current projects by volunteers. I've attached it, also pasted below (formatting skewed, see attached for better). I welcome your edits/suggestions!

Cheers,
Jane

­Join the School of Open

SOO website: http://schoolofopen.org

Follow #schoolofopen hashtag on social media

What?

Free education opportunities on the meaning, application, and impact of “openness” as it applies to education, science, research. We offer online courses, face-to-face workshops, and innovative training programs on topics such as Creative Commons licenses, open educational resources, and sharing creative works. Individuals and organizations may learn about these and other tools to better achieve their goals or to overcome the everyday barriers one encounters due to legal or technical restrictions.

Why?

Universal access to and participation in research, education, and culture is made possible by openness, but not enough people know what it means or how to take advantage of it. We hear about Open Source Software, Open Educational Resources, and Open Access… But what are these movements, who are their communities, and how do they work? Most importantly—how can they help me?

Learning about “open.”

Whatever the field, we seek to help people do what they already do better with the aid of open resources and tools. Here are just a few of our projects:

      Courses:  Copyright 4 Educators / Designing Collaborative Workshops / Writing Wikipedia Articles

      Workshops: Open Science Course Sprint / Building an Open Ed Timeline / SOO in German

      Training programs: SOO Kenya After School Program / Copyright for Librarians in Latin America

Who is involved?

All projects are created and run by volunteers from various organizations and regions in the world. The School of Open community is coordinated by Creative Commons (CC) and the Peer 2 Peer University (P2PU).

Creative Commons is a globally focused nonprofit dedicated to making it easier for people to share and build upon the work of others, consistent with the rules of copyright. P2PU is a peer learning platform and community for developing and running free online courses. All School of Open courses and resources are licensed to the public under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike or more open license.

Get Involved.

There are many ways you can get started. Here are a few:

·       Sign up for major announcements: school-of-o...@googlegroups.com

·       Join the Google Group and introduce your idea or project: school-...@googlegroups.com

·       Take or improve an existing course: http://schoolofopen.org

Questions? Ask us in the Google Group: school-...@googlegroups.com. It’s Open!

--
Jane Park
Project Manager

the School of Open, a collaboration with P2PU: http://schoolofopen.org/

Like what we do? Donate: https://creativecommons.net/donate/
School of Open One pager Nov13.docx

Vanessa Gennarelli

Nov 20, 2013, 1:41:06 PM11/20/13
to school-of-open
Hey Jane, I think this is rad. You are a messaging maven.

One piece I think might be missing is the texture of community, maybe to show impact. Would a couple of user stories/quotes or profile pictures give the one-pager that texture?

Cheers, Vanessa

--
http://schoolofopen.org

Vanessa Gennarelli
Learning Lead, Peer 2 Peer University

Jane Park

Nov 20, 2013, 2:50:05 PM11/20/13
to school-...@googlegroups.com
Great idea Vanessa. I was planning on having the future SOO landing page hopefully include actual profiles of the people and projects, and was going to revise the existing info page (http://info.p2pu.org/schools/open/) as a start (as we wait for SOO landing page logistics to be figured out). But I like including one or two of those in the one pager if we can fit 'em in!

Jane Park

Jun 5, 2014, 5:37:19 PM6/5/14
to school-...@googlegroups.com
Hey everyone!

Here's a version of the one pager with the new logo and reformatted: http://schoolofopen.p2pu.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/School-of-Open-One-pager-May14.pdf

Re Vanessa's feedback, I'm not sure if there's room for a profile/quote, but we have added a community section to the new site so maybe that will suffice for now? http://schoolofopen.p2pu.org/#community

I'm hoping to have some participant quotes from the surveys once OERRH completes the report and we can make some responses public. Perhaps at that point we can update the one pager with a quote or two.

Let me know what you think!