How to build docs for a distribution?

Isuru Fernando

Jun 14, 2020, 12:36:30 AM6/14/20
to sage-pa...@googlegroups.com
I'm using "python setup.py build" to build the sage python library and install in conda.

How do I build the docs without going through the './sage' build process?

Isuru

François Bissey

Jun 14, 2020, 12:46:24 AM6/14/20
to sage-pa...@googlegroups.com
First you need to bootstrap the documentation (or patch to remove documentation about installing sage).
https://github.com/cschwan/sage-on-gentoo/blob/master/sci-mathematics/sage/sage-9.1.ebuild#L328

Other than that I build the doc in a folder called docbuild
https://github.com/cschwan/sage-on-gentoo/blob/master/sci-mathematics/sage/sage-9.1.ebuild#L388-L397

I deal with a few things that I still can’t figure out
https://github.com/cschwan/sage-on-gentoo/blob/master/sci-mathematics/sage/sage-9.1.ebuild#L458-L467
Lots of garbage files from plotting, which would otherwise be caught in my installation.
rst files morph into rst.txt files for some reason, which means you cannot doctest them once installed.

then I copy in the right place after setup.py install. This is done by boiler plate portage
machinery.

Antonio Rojas

Jun 14, 2020, 3:47:35 AM6/14/20
to sage-packaging
Here is our (hopefully self-explanatory) build script (the main build step is line 53)

Timo Kaufmann

Jun 14, 2020, 7:12:43 AM6/14/20
to sage-packaging