Porting sagemath to Raspberry Pi OS

Jaap Spies

Jul 9, 2020, 8:31:52 AM7/9/20
to sage-devel
Saying Raspberry Pi is saying education. There are zillion Raspberry Pi's out there.
Almost all of them are running Raspbian, now called Raspberry Pi OS.
On every raspbian system there is an implementation of Mathematica.
Wolfram was clever when he decided to make Matematica available to the
people of Raspberies.

I did some experimentation out of an old book Mathematica Second Edition.
You can really do some math on a Raspberry Pi 4.

Some time ago I could build sage-9.0 on my RPi4's, but now there are problems
with fplll. I opened a ticket, someone changed the priority to minor.

I think it is of major importance to have at least a binary for Raspberry Pi OS!

I'm old and have no time and no energy to pursue this to the end, but I plea
someone would take this serious.

Jaap

early adapter of sage

Dima Pasechnik

Jul 9, 2020, 8:35:05 AM7/9/20
to sage-devel
The fplll upgrade which should work on ARM (and thus on Raspberry Pi) has been merged in the latest beta, 9.2.beta4

Please report whether it works for you or not.

Jaap Spies

Jul 9, 2020, 9:46:51 AM7/9/20
to sage-devel
real 51m45.870s
user 65m53.661s
sys 1m28.486s
Copying package files from temporary location /home/pi/sagemath/sage-9.2.beta4/local/var/tmp/sage/build/fplll-5.3.3/inst to /home/pi/sagemath/sage-9.2.beta4/local
Successfully installed fplll-5.3.3
Deleting temporary build directory
/home/pi/sagemath/sage-9.2.beta4/local/var/tmp/sage/build/fplll-5.3.3
Finished installing fplll-5.3.3

Now waiting ...

On Thu, 9 Jul 2020, 13:31 Jaap Spies, <jaap...@gmail.com> wrote:
Saying Raspberry Pi is saying education. There are zillion Raspberry Pi's out there.
Almost all of them are running Raspbian, now called Raspberry Pi OS.
On every raspbian system there is an implementation of Mathematica.
Wolfram was clever when he decided to make Matematica available to the
people of Raspberies.

I did some experimentation out of an old book Mathematica Second Edition.
You can really do some math on a Raspberry Pi 4.

Some time ago I could build sage-9.0 on my RPi4's, but now there are problems
with fplll. I opened a ticket, someone changed the priority to minor.

I think it is of major importance to have at least a binary for Raspberry Pi OS!

I'm old and have no time and no energy to pursue this to the end, but I plea
someone would take this serious.

Jaap

early adapter of sage

Dima Pasechnik

Jul 9, 2020, 9:55:16 AM7/9/20
to sage-devel
On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 2:46 PM Jaap Spies <jaap...@gmail.com> wrote:

> real 51m45.870s
> user 65m53.661s
> sys 1m28.486s
> Copying package files from temporary location /home/pi/sagemath/sage-9.2.beta4/local/var/tmp/sage/build/fplll-5.3.3/inst to /home/pi/sagemath/sage-9.2.beta4/local
> Successfully installed fplll-5.3.3
> Deleting temporary build directory
> /home/pi/sagemath/sage-9.2.beta4/local/var/tmp/sage/build/fplll-5.3.3
> Finished installing fplll-5.3.3
>
> Now waiting ...

Thanks. With Apple announcing that they move to ARM CPUs for their new
laptops, ARM surely will be dealt with as a matter
of priority.

> On Thursday, July 9, 2020 at 2:35:05 PM UTC+2, Dima Pasechnik wrote:
>>
>> The fplll upgrade which should work on ARM (and thus on Raspberry Pi) has been merged in the latest beta, 9.2.beta4
>>
>> Please report whether it works for you or not.
>>

>> On Thu, 9 Jul 2020, 13:31 Jaap Spies, <jaap...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Saying Raspberry Pi is saying education. There are zillion Raspberry Pi's out there.
>>> Almost all of them are running Raspbian, now called Raspberry Pi OS.
>>> On every raspbian system there is an implementation of Mathematica.
>>> Wolfram was clever when he decided to make Matematica available to the
>>> people of Raspberies.
>>>
>>> I did some experimentation out of an old book Mathematica Second Edition.
>>> You can really do some math on a Raspberry Pi 4.
>>>
>>> Some time ago I could build sage-9.0 on my RPi4's, but now there are problems
>>> with fplll. I opened a ticket, someone changed the priority to minor.
>>>
>>> I think it is of major importance to have at least a binary for Raspberry Pi OS!
>>>
>>> I'm old and have no time and no energy to pursue this to the end, but I plea
>>> someone would take this serious.
>>>
>>> Jaap
>>>
>>> early adapter of sage

Matthias Koeppe

Jul 9, 2020, 9:58:20 AM7/9/20
to sage-devel
On Thursday, July 9, 2020 at 5:31:52 AM UTC-7, Jaap Spies wrote:
... Raspberry Pi ...

https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/29091, which adds test infrastructure for raspbian-buster, still needs review.

Jaap Spies

Jul 9, 2020, 10:09:09 AM7/9/20
to sage-devel
Done.

Isuru Fernando

Jul 9, 2020, 12:07:41 PM7/9/20
to sage-devel
Hi,

In conda-forge, we have all the dependencies of sage for aarch64 already built except for gap and rpy2.
If those two are done, we can build sage the library and you can use conda-forge to install a binary version of sage.
Any help is appreciated.

Isuru

Dima Pasechnik

Jul 9, 2020, 12:14:35 PM7/9/20
to sage-devel

On Thu, 9 Jul 2020, 17:07 Isuru Fernando, <isu...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

In conda-forge, we have all the dependencies of sage for aarch64 already built except for gap and rpy2.
If those two are done, we can build sage the library and you can use conda-forge to install a binary version of sage.
Any help is appreciated.

Could you point out concrete issues?

Isuru

On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 9:09 AM Jaap Spies <jaap...@gmail.com> wrote:
Done.

On Thursday, July 9, 2020 at 3:58:20 PM UTC+2, Matthias Koeppe wrote:
On Thursday, July 9, 2020 at 5:31:52 AM UTC-7, Jaap Spies wrote:
... Raspberry Pi ...

https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/29091, which adds test infrastructure for raspbian-buster, still needs review.

Isuru Fernando

Jul 9, 2020, 5:30:41 PM7/9/20
to sage-devel
Gap and rpy2 are now available. Need to build rw 0.7 now. Is there a reason for not going to rw 0.8 in sage? I couldn't find a trac ticket for it.

Isuru

Dima Pasechnik

Jul 9, 2020, 6:43:55 PM7/9/20
to sage-devel
On Thu, Jul 9, 2020 at 10:30 PM Isuru Fernando <isu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You can track the progress here, https://github.com/conda-forge/sagelib-feedstock/pull/100
>
> Gap and rpy2 are now available. Need to build rw 0.7 now. Is there a reason for not going to rw 0.8 in sage? I couldn't find a trac ticket for it.

open a new one - it seems that the sources migrated to sf:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/rankwidth/files/
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/sage-devel/CA%2B01voMFt9_Hjf%3D5zPJuSVwyRj2MG6T1VfxGeDnA_%2BZe0_ijDg%40mail.gmail.com.

Jaap Spies

Jul 10, 2020, 4:08:20 AM7/10/20
to sage-devel
After this technicalities I reclaim my points: We need a port of sagemath to Raspbery Pi OS.
At least we need a binary of sagemath for Raspberry Pi OS.

Jaap Spies

Dima Pasechnik

Jul 10, 2020, 5:11:27 AM7/10/20
to sage-devel
On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 9:08 AM Jaap Spies <jaap...@gmail.com> wrote:

> After this technicalities I reclaim my points: We need a port of sagemath to Raspbery Pi OS.
> At least we need a binary of sagemath for Raspberry Pi OS.
the binaries are made using
https://github.com/sagemath/binary-pkg

Could you try this on your Rasberry Pi?
(probably nobody ever tested this on ARM, so YMMV).

Dima

> Jaap Spies
>
> On Thursday, July 9, 2020 at 2:31:52 PM UTC+2, Jaap Spies wrote:
>>
>> Saying Raspberry Pi is saying education. There are zillion Raspberry Pi's out there.
>> Almost all of them are running Raspbian, now called Raspberry Pi OS.
>> On every raspbian system there is an implementation of Mathematica.
>> Wolfram was clever when he decided to make Matematica available to the
>> people of Raspberies.
>>
>> I did some experimentation out of an old book Mathematica Second Edition.
>> You can really do some math on a Raspberry Pi 4.
>>
>> Some time ago I could build sage-9.0 on my RPi4's, but now there are problems
>> with fplll. I opened a ticket, someone changed the priority to minor.
>>
>> I think it is of major importance to have at least a binary for Raspberry Pi OS!
>>
>> I'm old and have no time and no energy to pursue this to the end, but I plea
>> someone would take this serious.
>>
>> Jaap
>>
>> early adapter of sage

Dima Pasechnik

Jul 10, 2020, 5:22:30 AM7/10/20
to sage-devel
On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 10:11 AM Dima Pasechnik <dim...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 9:08 AM Jaap Spies <jaap...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > After this technicalities I reclaim my points: We need a port of sagemath to Raspbery Pi OS.

As far as I see, it is
https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspberry-pi-desktop/
(based on Debian Buster) - it uses apt to deal with packages, so the
setup we use on Debian/Ubuntu should
in principle be working.

Is this the OS you are referring to?

I don't know whether they try to import all the Debian packages, but
it looks as if Debian
effort to have Sage in Debian would be helpful here.

Thanks,
Dima

Jaap Spies

Jul 10, 2020, 5:55:54 AM7/10/20
to sage-devel
No
> > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to sage-...@googlegroups.com.

Jaap Spies

Jul 10, 2020, 6:07:57 AM7/10/20
to sage-devel
Raspberry Pi OS is the new name of raspbian.
And indeed raspbian uses apt to deal with packages, but have their own repositories
based on debian
> > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to sage-...@googlegroups.com.

Matthias Koeppe

Jul 10, 2020, 12:16:26 PM7/10/20
to sage-devel
On Friday, July 10, 2020 at 1:08:20 AM UTC-7, Jaap Spies wrote:
We need a port of sagemath to Raspbery Pi OS.

Using https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/29091, developers can do portability testing on this platform without need for access to an actual raspberry pi.

tox -e docker-raspbian-buster-armhf-standard