Google GSoC 2020

已查看 71 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Harald Schilly

未读,
2019年12月12日 04:39:222019/12/12
收件人 sage-gso...@googlegroups.com、sage-...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone, Google's GSOC 2020 is announced. The application period for organizations is  January 14, 2020 - February 5, 2020. In the past, it was me who wrote it, but I'm worn down with that. Is there someone who wants to take over?

Despite that, is there enough interest to apply? This mainly concerns the few usual mentors, but maybe there is someone else who also likes to mentor a project?

-- harald

David Coudert

未读,
2019年12月12日 05:30:372019/12/12
收件人 sage-gso...@googlegroups.com、sage-...@googlegroups.com
I don’t know if I will participate next year.
This year I somehow supervised 3 students and it was way too much.
Also, I’m not happy as these students disappeared after the end of GSoC. It would be much more profitable if GSoC could help us attract or secure long term contributors.

It would be nice if others could get involved in this, propose projects and mentor students.

Concerning possible projects, clearly the graph module needs work in the backends. Some operations are way too slow (add/remove edges, copy, etc.), and the backends are extremely complicated. Not sure this can be done with a GSoC project.

David.

----
David Coudert
Equipe-Projet COATI
Centre de Recherche INRIA Sophia Antipolis - Méditerranée
Université Côte d’Azur, Inria, CNRS, I3S, France
http://www-sop.inria.fr/members/David.Coudert

Dima Pasechnik

未读,
2019年12月12日 06:31:052019/12/12
收件人 sage-devel、sage-gso...@googlegroups.com、Markus Wageringel
On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 10:30 AM David Coudert <david....@inria.fr> wrote:

> I don’t know if I will participate next year.
> This year I somehow supervised 3 students and it was way too much.
> Also, I’m not happy as these students disappeared after the end of GSoC. It would be much more profitable if GSoC could help us attract or secure long term contributors.

Yes, I second this point too. This year I was lucky to mentor a great
student, who was able to clear for us some GSOC backlog from previous
years, but this is geting silly.
And indeed the students are a huge probem.
I would propose to the existing Sage (or related systems: GAP,
Normaliz, Polymake, Macaulay2, etc) developers - and their supervisors
- who happen to be eligible for GSoC to please come forward, so that
we can use
this programme to give them extra funding (and CV improvement) at a
very little extra effort.

I can be an admin for the coming year, if needed, but I probably won't
take any students (unless for some reason it's a very little effort on
my side)

Dima

> It would be nice if others could get involved in this, propose projects and mentor students.
>
> Concerning possible projects, clearly the graph module needs work in the backends. Some operations are way too slow (add/remove edges, copy, etc.), and the backends are extremely complicated. Not sure this can be done with a GSoC project.
>
> David.
>

> Le 12 déc. 2019 à 10:38, Harald Schilly <har...@schil.ly> a écrit :
>
> Hello everyone, Google's GSOC 2020 is announced. The application period for organizations is January 14, 2020 - February 5, 2020. In the past, it was me who wrote it, but I'm worn down with that. Is there someone who wants to take over?
>
> Despite that, is there enough interest to apply? This mainly concerns the few usual mentors, but maybe there is someone else who also likes to mentor a project?
>
> Timeline: https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/how-it-works/#timeline
>
> Wiki entry: https://wiki.sagemath.org/GSoC/2020
>
> -- harald

> ----
> David Coudert
> Equipe-Projet COATI
> Centre de Recherche INRIA Sophia Antipolis - Méditerranée
> Université Côte d’Azur, Inria, CNRS, I3S, France
> http://www-sop.inria.fr/members/David.Coudert

回复全部
回复作者
转发