how to benefit from spkg-configure.m4 ?

Thierry

Oct 14, 2021, 3:35:57 PM10/14/21
to sage-devel
Hi,

let "pack" be an optional package with a spkg-configure.m4 file, and
assume that an equivalent package is installed from the distro and that
./configure asserts that "using system package; SPKG will not be
installed".

If i do "make pack", the package is installed anyway. What would be the
make command to install pack unless the distro provided ?

Ciao,
Thierry

Dima Pasechnik

Oct 14, 2021, 4:07:34 PM10/14/21
to sage-devel
we don't have such a make target

just run

make build

Ciao,
Thierry

Matthias Koeppe

Oct 14, 2021, 5:01:30 PM10/14/21
to sage-devel
There's no such make target, but a ticket to add such targets: https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/31501

Thierry

Oct 19, 2021, 8:59:36 AM10/19/21
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 02:01:30PM -0700, Matthias Koeppe wrote:
> There's no such make target, but a ticket to add such
> targets: https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/31501

Thanks for the pointer. Here is another request, in the same vein
towards being able to build and test most things without human
intervention, especially in order to maintain some pressure for 32bit
systems:

I would like to run all self tests (with SAGE_CHECK='yes'), but if some
self-test fails, i want to log which package failed, and then resume
with the further packages.

Currently, when a self-test fails, the build breaks, i can workaround
this with some while loop, however, i would like to know which packages
caused the error, so that i could design an optimal SAGE_CHECK_PACKAGES
variable for the next build and and report the failed ones on trac and
upstream.

Also, regarding optional packages, i would like to install them all with
a series of --enable-<spkg> (or with a dedicated configure option) and
log every package that failed to build.

The overall goal is both to propose huge builds like in Sage Debian
Live, and to run patchbots with all (if not all) optional packages, both
32 and 64 bits so that they remain under control.

Ciao,
Thierry

> On Thursday, October 14, 2021 at 12:35:57 PM UTC-7 Thierry
> (sage-googlesucks@xxx) wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > let "pack" be an optional package with a spkg-configure.m4 file, and
> > assume that an equivalent package is installed from the distro and that
> > ./configure asserts that "using system package; SPKG will not be
> > installed".
> >
> > If i do "make pack", the package is installed anyway. What would be the
> > make command to install pack unless the distro provided ?
> >
> > Ciao,
> > Thierry

Matthias Koeppe

Oct 19, 2021, 11:57:47 AM10/19/21
to sage-devel
On Tuesday, October 19, 2021 at 5:59:36 AM UTC-7 Thierry (sage-googlesucks@xxx) wrote:
Here is another request, in the same vein
towards being able to build and test most things without human
intervention, especially in order to maintain some pressure for 32bit
systems:

Are you aware that we are automatically testing 32bit on GH Actions?

I would like to run all self tests (with SAGE_CHECK='yes'), but if some
self-test fails, i want to log which package failed, and then resume
with the further packages.

This is SAGE_CHECK=warn

Thierry

Oct 25, 2021, 2:10:33 PM10/25/21
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 08:57:47AM -0700, Matthias Koeppe wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 19, 2021 at 5:59:36 AM UTC-7 Thierry
> (sage-googlesucks@xxx) wrote:
>
> > Here is another request, in the same vein
> > towards being able to build and test most things without human
> > intervention, especially in order to maintain some pressure for 32bit
> > systems:
>

> Are you aware that we are automatically testing 32bit on GH Actions?

Given the amount of failure i am getting when trying to build and check
32bit Sage binary (i did not build SDL for 2 years), it seems those are
not enough to maintain pressure on Sage code for 32bit compatibility. In
particular, some packages were updated while their self-tests failed
(and did not before). Anyway, i have to build dedicated binary for SDL
and rebuild 32-bit patchbots, and i would like to run self-test as much
as possible.

> > I would like to run all self tests (with SAGE_CHECK='yes'), but if
> > some self-test fails, i want to log which package failed, and then
> > resume with the further packages.
>
> This is SAGE_CHECK=warn

Great, thanks ! Where can i find the list of failed tested packages
afterwards ?

Ciao,
Thierry

Matthias Koeppe

Oct 25, 2021, 3:19:14 PM10/25/21
to sage-devel
On Monday, October 25, 2021 at 11:10:33 AM UTC-7 Thierry (sage-googlesucks@xxx) wrote:
> > I would like to run all self tests (with SAGE_CHECK='yes'), but if
> > some self-test fails, i want to log which package failed, and then
> > resume with the further packages.
>
> This is SAGE_CHECK=warn

Great, thanks ! Where can i find the list of failed tested packages
afterwards ?

The build system gives a report at the end of the build based on scanning the log files.
Look for "look_for_errors" in build/make/install for this mechanism.

Thierry

Oct 26, 2021, 9:07:42 PM10/26/21
to sage-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the pointer. Actually, using SAGE_CHECK='warn' is broken and
does not report anything, see https://trac.sagemath.org/ticket/32781

Ciao,
Thierry