Preferred method to rebase old ticket?

B Gillespie

Apr 1, 2020, 4:03:49 PM4/1/20
to sage-devel
I'm currently working on getting ticket 28252 fixed up for the current developer branch, and I wanted to ask, what's the preferred method to rebase a very old ticket?  This was a project from Sage Days 99 in Minneapolis last summer, so it currently is based on version 8.9.beta3 and is quite old.

It's not a huge diff (just implements a couple of methods and adds relevant literature references), so I was thinking it might make sense to make an entirely new ticket and just copy the revisions to the relevant places in the up-to-date codebase.  Let me know if there's a better approach I should use.

Thanks,
Bryan

Dima Pasechnik

Apr 1, 2020, 9:17:41 PM4/1/20
to sage-devel
On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 4:03 AM B Gillespie <ceili...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm currently working on getting ticket 28252 fixed up for the current developer branch, and I wanted to ask, what's the preferred method to rebase a very old ticket? This was a project from Sage Days 99 in Minneapolis last summer, so it currently is based on version 8.9.beta3 and is quite old.
>
> It's not a huge diff (just implements a couple of methods and adds relevant literature references), so I was thinking it might make sense to make an entirely new ticket and just copy the revisions to the relevant places in the up-to-date codebase. Let me know if there's a better approach I should use.

no need to make a new ticket, unless the content in the ticket
description is obsolete;
you can just change the git branch.

> Thanks,
> Bryan

Travis Scrimshaw

Apr 1, 2020, 9:31:06 PM4/1/20
to sage-devel
What I do is create a new local branch based off develop, merge the branch in from trac, and push that local branch back to trac (after making additional edits). Do not pull the branch and then merge in develop as you will have to do a full rebuild of Sage.

Best,
Travis

On Thursday, April 2, 2020 at 11:17:41 AM UTC+10, Dima Pasechnik wrote:
On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 4:03 AM B Gillespie <ceili...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm currently working on getting ticket 28252 fixed up for the current developer branch, and I wanted to ask, what's the preferred method to rebase a very old ticket?  This was a project from Sage Days 99 in Minneapolis last summer, so it currently is based on version 8.9.beta3 and is quite old.
>
> It's not a huge diff (just implements a couple of methods and adds relevant literature references), so I was thinking it might make sense to make an entirely new ticket and just copy the revisions to the relevant places in the up-to-date codebase.  Let me know if there's a better approach I should use.

no need to make a new ticket, unless the content in the ticket
description is obsolete;
you can just change the git branch.

> Thanks,
> Bryan

B Gillespie

Apr 2, 2020, 10:30:12 AM4/2/20
to sage-devel
Got it, that makes sense.  Thanks for the tips!

Bryan