just a quick dropdown box question

Joe Guerra

Oct 29, 2018, 3:32:46 PM10/29/18
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
I'm going to add a filter to a page index,  with the options of [both, true, false].

Do I need to add a button beside the dropdown to refresh the page, or can it pick out the changes made to the dropdown itself (or is that some sort of javascript stuff?)

Thanks,
Joe

Walter Lee Davis

Oct 29, 2018, 10:05:09 PM10/29/18
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
This is basic HTML stuff, but if you have a form input like a dropdown (select), the value you choose in that element is only sent to the server if it is inside a form element, and you submit that form in some way to the server. On the server, you need to permit that attribute in strong parameters, so it won't be filtered out, and then use that in your controller method to act as your filter.

Whether you submit the form via JavaScript or add a submit button and have the user press it makes no difference to the server.

If you're on an index page, say www.example.com/pages, then you can code the form like this:

<%= form.for url: '/pages', method: :get do |f| %>

<%= f.collection_select :filter, %w[both true false], :to_s, :to_s, onchange: "this.form.trigger('submit')", prompt: true %>

That's going to submit to your controller in the index method, where I presume you will do the rest.

Walter

Joe Guerra

Nov 1, 2018, 10:21:11 AM11/1/18
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
hmm, I thought a select_tag would work?

how do you handle the option on the controller?